You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-12 10:17:58

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Jumpy audio from microphone in Audacity and Jitsi

If I record from the microphone in Audacity without simultaneous playback of other tracks, the recording is fine. If I try to record while playing back a track, the recording is jumpy and clipped. The same thing happens when I try to use voice chat in Jitsi. The chat partner hears unintelligible, jumpy audio. By jumpy I mean that it sounds like the distance to the microphone is being quickly and randomly changed while the microphone is also being randomly turned on and off with high frequency.

This occurs on two separate systems, both of which are using default ALSA without Jack or PulseAudio. I have not created an asoundrc file. CPU usage is very low in some cases (e.g. 2-5% on a single core). I also have ample RAM if that matters.

I have searched for a solution but I suspect that I am not using the right terms. I cannot believe that my modern Arch systems would be unable to handle something that I could do on a budget system 10 years ago.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#2 2013-03-06 18:23:22

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: Jumpy audio from microphone in Audacity and Jitsi

*bump*

Jitsi 2 is out and I would really like to be able to use it. Surely I am not the only one to run into issue with simultaneous audio input and output.

Do I really need something like Pulseaudio  or Jack? (I haven't tried yet because I just can't believe that this is impossible with Alsa... it should "just work").

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

Board footer