You are not logged in.

#151 2012-10-18 02:44:22

Jristz

Re: [Script] Archlinux Ultimate Install Script

You can add latam for alternative X11 keyboard???

both es, latam are spanish but one is generic and other latiamerican
but please not remmember that a user can have es_ES and use latam keyboard or use es_MX and use es

thanks

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

#152 2012-10-19 20:07:31

helmuthdu

Flesh wrote:

Great script, just a few things:
1. genfstab -p on line 478, change it to genfstab -U, reason is you should use UUID, I have many hard drives and sda may not be my boot drive.
2. Mirror list:
3. Not finished, but use sgdisk to format in GPT, I'll add a menu in function create_partition to allow this, but for now, I can not get UEFI to work, I did get it to work with Arch By Hand https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=129885&p=1.

Currently I created disk and formated (although I formated it again using your menu option, so they get mounted) it like this:
The issue I need to resolve so I can finish this script update is this:
I am booting off the latest Arch Linux ISO in UEFI mode, using a Sabertooth Asus motherboar with i7, I get the error canonical path of /boot/efi,
I ran modprobe efivars, no help; and I also get could not open procfs or sysfs for accessing EFI variables; which modprobe efivars did not fix.
I noted that folder "/sys/firmware" only have folders for apci and memmap in it; odd.
sda1 is mounted to /boot/efi and it contains folder EFI; you can see how I created partition above, I will try it with cfdisk and see if it does the same thing, but GPT is the way I want to go, so it beside the point, but important to know.
I can install using the BIOS option, just not the UEIF mode; the bios does show the drive as UEFI after this, but it fails to boot.

Hi Flesh,

Glad you liked the script. big_smile
1. I agree with you...
2. I got your idea and added it (the idea) to the code, for the mirrorlist now i use reflector with a list of all locations (check the code). I think it's a clean and simple solution for this problem.

configure_mirrorlist(){
        country_list(){
            # this command create a list of all servers by country. But it doesnt work if used inside the  array
            #`reflector --list-countries | sed 's/[0-9]//g' | sed 's/^/"/g' | sed 's/,.*//g' | sed 's/ *$//g'  | sed 's/$/"/g' | sed -e :a -e '$!N; s/\n/ /; ta'` 
            local countries=("Australia" "Belarus" "Belgium" "Brazil" "Bulgaria" "Canada" "Chile" "China" "Colombia" "Czech Republic" "Denmark" "Estonia" "Finland" "France" "Germany" "Greece" "Hungary" "India" "Ireland" "Israel" "Italy" "Japan" "Kazakhstan" "Korea" "Macedonia" "Netherlands" "New Caledonia" "New Zealand" "Norway" "Poland" "Portugal" "Romania" "Russian Federation" "Serbia" "Singapore" "Slovakia" "South Africa" "Spain" "Sri Lanka" "Sweden" "Switzerland" "Taiwan" "Ukraine" "United Kingdom" "United States" "Uzbekistan" "Viet Nam")
            PS3="$prompt1"
                echo "Select your country:"
                select COUNTRY in "${countries[@]}"; do
                    if contains_element "$COUNTRY" "${countries[@]}"; then
                        break
                    else
                        invalid_option
                    fi
                done
        }
        print_title "REFLECTOR - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reflector"
        print_info "Reflector is a script which can retrieve the latest mirror list from the MirrorStatus page, filter the most up-to-date mirrors, sort them by speed and overwrite the file /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist."
        package_install "reflector"
        OPTION=n
        while [[ $OPTION != y ]]; do
            country_list
            read_input_text "Confirm country: $COUNTRY"
        done
        cp /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.backup
        reflector -l 5 --sort rate -c "$COUNTRY" --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
        $EDITOR /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
    }

3. For GPT partitions i think gdisk would be a better solution, its very easy and simple. Also does not require to add extra commands or options in the script. If i add your solution i also would have to create a scheme for the users to create partition in the way that they want, not a fixed scheme. Some users (include me) do a diferent scheme for their partitions. What you think?

I will try to install with a virtualbox and check the problems you reported.

Greetings,
helmuthdu

#153 2012-10-19 21:29:00

Flesh
Website

helmuthdu wrote:

2. I got your idea and added it (the idea) to the code, for the mirrorlist now i use reflector with a list of all locations (check the code). I think it's a clean and simple solution for this problem.

I have had issues with reflector in the past, and do not like to use it, so for those that feel the same way, the mirrorlist site provides a better solution then a generic mirrorlist; I only update the list when I have issues, which has not happened yet, reflector is a nice idea, other distros have similar apps, but I have found the list at mirrorlist sites to be a better solution for me, it seems to always work, whereas reflector seems to reflect what works at the time it last ran, which is why I have had issues with it in the past and stopped using it, I like things simple, and this isn't it for me.

helmuthdu wrote:

3. For GPT partitions i think gdisk would be a better solution, its very easy and simple. Also does not require to add extra commands or options in the script. If i add your solution i also would have to create a scheme for the users to create partition in the way that they want, not a fixed scheme. Some users (include me) do a diferent scheme for their partitions. What you think?

Yes a menu system to allow customization is needed, I have not gotten past getting uefi to work, so I'm testing with a nearly fixed solution, it allows changing SWAP size only, but I would expand it to allow better control, and allow home, var and other schemes as well.

You need to ask up front if its going to be BIOS or UEFI, GPT seems to be replacing MBR, so gdisk is a better option, so its best to make changes to setup like you did for root and swap, so you can mount it correctly without users having to edit the mount point like they do for home, in fact, make a menu of choices,  HOME, VAR... and then other, so its only other that you need to ask for, as it is, I tried /boot/efi for mount point, but it was a guess on my part, and you don't want users guessing at it, and they shouldn't have to, so make it so UEFI and boot are automatic.

After that is done, I would like to make the menu selection of apps to build a string, one for pacman, one for yaourt, then at the end of selecting apps, it will allow you to save it as a text file, and have an option to load it from disk, then an option to execute the file, it will have to parse the file, remove duplicates, maybe check if installed, so you are nor reinstalling, but this way you only need log in once to install all pacman apps, a huge plus and time saver, I don't like baby sitting, and it will make it easier to log in to install yaourt packages, as opposed to installing them one at a time; and will make reinstalling Arch much easier, and will allow users to add their own apps that do not appear in the menu, which for me is Mate, and other programming apps like Wt, which wouldn't be a worth adding to a menu, since most users are not programmers and few people use Wt, so there are many apps like that, and you can not make a menu with every app out there, but I find it nice to save a copy of pacman log, so I can parse out what apps I had installed, so I could reinstall them, I have several machines and I like to sync them, so if I could make a function that would do this, and then save the file, I can sync all my machines up, so they all have the same apps installed on them.

I'm still having issues with UEFI, for the life of me, I can not get a USB install disk to boot, I tried 4 flash drives and many techniques to make the flash disk, some ways I get a UEFI menu, then a blank screen, others it just hangs during boot, Arch's ISO boots fine in UEFI mode, Archboot does not, they removed UEFI from CD support, why I don't know, it put me in a bad spot, leaving me to use only Arch's ISO cd boot up to install from, I don't know if other users have this problem, but from what I have researched I would say yes; I can find many users in the same boot, and have not found a solution yet, those that have a machine that will booth off a USB flash drive, do not see the problem, may its in the way I make it, I don't know, I followed all the instructions, but I only have one machine that has a UEFI bios to test it on, so if this machine has issues, well you see where I'm going; is there a trick to making an Arch UEFI USB install disk that works?

The other thing is, UEFI is new, and it does work on my hard drive once installed, in fact if works on CD, so why ArchBoot removed that support is strange, but I wonder if its worth all the effort I'm putting into it, the bios boot works, I look at it as if bios boot will become a thing of the past, so I waist a lot of effort into it now to make sure thats true; and I have noticed it works fine in a VM, and not during a normal install, which is the nature of a UEFI boot up, so test this out of the box if you can (virtualbox that is).

Last edited by Flesh (2012-10-19 21:31:21)

#154 2012-10-19 21:44:52

helmuthdu

For the UEFI problem:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … efibootmgr
efibootmgr command will work only if you have booted the system in UEFI mode itself, since it requires access to UEFI Runtime Variables which are available only in UEFI boot mode (with "noefi" kernel parameter NOT being used). Otherwise the message Fatal: Couldn't open either sysfs or procfs directories for accessing EFI variables is shown.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … B_from_ISO
Note: dd'ing the ISO (isohybrid method) to the USB drive will not work for UEFI boot.
Note: It does not matter whether the USB is partitioned as MBR or GPT, as long as the filesystem is FAT32 or FAT16.
read the wiki and you will find your solution wink

Same problem with reflector, but it doesnt work well only IF you dont set the country, so i have added this option and it work like charm! big_smile

Last edited by helmuthdu (2012-10-19 21:46:57)

#155 2012-10-19 21:59:26

helmuthdu

Jristz wrote:

You can add latam for alternative X11 keyboard???

both es, latam are spanish but one is generic and other latiamerican
but please not remmember that a user can have es_ES and use latam keyboard or use es_MX and use es

thanks

Fixed (last commit) smile

#156 2012-10-20 07:32:41

Flesh
Website

Small bug, you need to run pacman -Sy before you call package_install(); otherwise you will get an error installing package that will go unchecked and functions will fail that relay on something being installed; i.e. reflector did not work first try.

#157 2012-10-20 07:46:52

WonderWoofy

@helmuthdu, way to set up an avatar.  When you post several times in a row, it is kind of creepy.

#158 2012-10-25 22:35:49

Flesh
Website

helmuthdu wrote:

For the UEFI problem:

Another small bug, you need to call modprobe efivars in your script prior to chroot and prior to grub install, in chroot, this throw me for a loop till I figured that out; the first time you run it before chroot, will actually put you in UEFI mode, just booting into UEFI mode does not, the second time you call it is to put the chroot into UEFI mode as well, and you can not do this unless you are already in UEFI mode, this is a very common mistake, and should be pointed out better in the wiki, although it does state this in a round about way, I just didn't get that you need to do it twice, but once I did, everything worked fine; reference: Install base System .

# modprobe efivars       # before chrooting
# ls -1 /sys/firmware/efi/vars/

I just noticed that if you do not call it in the chroot, it will not create the folders and files also, nor do they carry over, and I do not see that being explained in such a manner that I understood it the first time around, so it was a lot of trial and error till I figured this out, and looking at all the threads on this subject did nothing to help me understand this simple concept, nor did any of them help me to figure that out, so I hope this helps others who find this thread.

A function to test for UEFI mode

# IS UEFI MODE {{{
is_uefi_mode()
{
    if [[ "$(cat /sys/class/dmi/id/sys_vendor)" == 'Apple Inc.' ]] || [[ "$(cat /sys/class/dmi/id/sys_vendor)" == 'Apple Computer, Inc.' ]]; then 
        modprobe -r -q efivars || true  # if MAC
    else
        modprobe -q efivars             # all others    
    fi
    if [ -d "/sys/firmware/efi/vars/" ]; then
        UEFI=1
        echo "UEFI Mode Test Passed."
    else
        UEFI=0
        print_warn "UEFI Mode Test Failed!"
        print_info "UEFI Installation will not work correctly, switching to BIOS mode."
        pause_function
        # What to do now? exit
   fi
}
#}}}

#159 2012-10-26 18:56:15

spsf64
Website

WonderWoofy wrote:

@helmuthdu, way to set up an avatar.  When you post several times in a row, it is kind of creepy.

LOL! You mean you don't like his face? Just look at his script, it's really nice!

Sergio S.

#160 2012-11-08 21:58:59

senorsmile

I tried to do a fresh install using your script and didn't get very far.  I got through create a partition.  I created two partitions, one for swap and one for root.  I then select format device.  It says it will format but instantly goes back to the main menu as if nothing happened.  No errors of any sort.  Install base system does the same thing.  I select configure fstab for the heck of it and it confirmed that nothing had been installed and I was not in a chroot environment of any sort, which I assume I should have been at that point.  What am I doing wrong?

#161 2012-11-09 11:24:24

helmuthdu

senorsmile wrote:

I tried to do a fresh install using your script and didn't get very far.  I got through create a partition.  I created two partitions, one for swap and one for root.  I then select format device.  It says it will format but instantly goes back to the main menu as if nothing happened.  No errors of any sort.  Install base system does the same thing.  I select configure fstab for the heck of it and it confirmed that nothing had been installed and I was not in a chroot environment of any sort, which I assume I should have been at that point.  What am I doing wrong?

You need to confirm with the letter "y", since it's a confirm command for something very dangerous, the default option is "n" in case you only hit enter.

#162 2012-11-13 01:33:19

senorsmile

helmuthdu wrote:
senorsmile wrote:

You need to confirm with the letter "y", since it's a confirm command for something very dangerous, the default option is "n" in case you only hit enter.

So, the problem had something to do with the partitioning.  I tried it again after a wipe and I noticed this time that it tried to automatically set stuff in cfdisk and added some labels.  Before, I didn't even have the option to hit Y, it just exited back to the main menu.  Installation working now.  Thanks!

#163 2012-11-13 15:17:28

Jristz

cgdisk as far I remmember is a cdisk for gpt using same tippe of interface

I prefer this over the others gpt disk pattitioner

and I nothised that you no add JFS, NilFS nor XFS support to the aui, is intentional??

#164 2012-11-24 00:07:50

helmuthdu

Flesh wrote:
helmuthdu wrote:

For the UEFI problem:

Another small bug, you need to call modprobe efivars in your script prior to chroot and prior to grub install, in chroot, this throw me for a loop till I figured that out; the first time you run it before chroot, will actually put you in UEFI mode, just booting into UEFI mode does not, the second time you call it is to put the chroot into UEFI mode as well, and you can not do this unless you are already in UEFI mode, this is a very common mistake, and should be pointed out better in the wiki, although it does state this in a round about way, I just didn't get that you need to do it twice, but once I did, everything worked fine; reference: Install base System .

I just noticed that if you do not call it in the chroot, it will not create the folders and files also, nor do they carry over, and I do not see that being explained in such a manner that I understood it the first time around, so it was a lot of trial and error till I figured this out, and looking at all the threads on this subject did nothing to help me understand this simple concept, nor did any of them help me to figure that out, so I hope this helps others who find this thread.

A function to test for UEFI mode

Finally i got courage (and permission) to try to install this on my brother old macbook, i have already upload this into the main code.
Thx for your contribution! smile

Jristz wrote:

cgdisk as far I remmember is a cdisk for gpt using same tippe of interface

I prefer this over the others gpt disk pattitioner

and I nothised that you no add JFS, NilFS nor XFS support to the aui, is intentional??

Added support for JFS and XFS, but NiFS, doesn't even know that exists tongue

Last edited by helmuthdu (2012-11-24 00:09:20)

#165 2012-11-24 07:15:22

Jristz

@Helmuth is NilFS in core/nilfs-utils A log-structured file system supporting continuous snapshotting

As same I test you script and I noticed finally the Yaour/packer-Shell problem relly on bash (bash bug?) or the script itself

And I noticed that xfce not have any unarchiver utility

and finally the bashrc option if you run many thimes at the end simply not only not coppy the scripts and not ser the EDITOR (or in may case mess it)

and my bahamut user created by the script with sudo permisions isnot detected and if fo any reason sudo was intalled  by --asdep, the script sudoers messed at the las step of cleaning

#166 2012-11-24 19:45:05

helmuthdu

Jristz wrote:

@Helmuth is NilFS in core/nilfs-utils A log-structured file system supporting continuous snapshotting

As same I test you script and I noticed finally the Yaour/packer-Shell problem relly on bash (bash bug?) or the script itself

And I noticed that xfce not have any unarchiver utility

and finally the bashrc option if you run many thimes at the end simply not only not coppy the scripts and not ser the EDITOR (or in may case mess it)

and my bahamut user created by the script with sudo permisions isnot detected and if fo any reason sudo was intalled  by --asdep, the script sudoers messed at the las step of cleaning

Checklist:
1 - didnt knew it smile
2 - dummo, what test you did?
3 - p7zip is there for you smile
4 - will check this [Fixed]
5 - well, wasnt my script that set the sudo as dep...

Last edited by helmuthdu (2012-11-24 21:06:04)

#167 2012-12-15 03:00:31

cowsquad

Do I have to run this script from a mnt/home directory?

#168 2013-01-13 00:54:17

rsplenum

If i use this script will I be able to select partitions for / and swap ?? As i have windows and data on other partitions, can this script accidentely them ??

#169 2013-01-15 11:10:31

helmuthdu

rsplenum wrote:

If i use this script will I be able to select partitions for / and swap ?? As i have windows and data on other partitions, can this script accidentely them ??

Sure you can.
You can shrink the disk with the windows format tools(something like that, idk the name, just type "format" in the start menu and it will show), then use this script to create a partition for swap and root.
If you are afraid of using this script you should install it first in a virtualbox, to understand the procedure (it's very simple though).

#170 2013-02-08 09:59:49

ASHASHIN

I don't know if this was made on purpose but after completing the base setup Xorg will fail to load because xterm isn't installed

Edit1: This can be a problem on my end (will test it in a VM) but aur packages fail to install

Edit2: I think i found out why aur packages failed to install (after carefully reading the errors), i was executing it as root and then changing to other user, for some reason it wasn't changing to that user, "faenza-icon-theme" gives a error regarding its pgp key

Last edited by ASHASHIN (2013-02-08 11:49:47)

#171 2013-02-28 00:34:11

Flesh
Website

We all start projects we never finish, this is one of mine, I started out to create an Automated Scripts based on this script here, only I wanted it to be a great script, not just a good script, so I first took the library of functions and created them as an API, so I could create a script based on it, then I created the logic, then the Package Manager, then tied it all together into one script; the results is what I have here github.com/ flesh / archwiz  at my repo for this project, it served its purpose and got Arch installed with all the Apps I wanted, but its still in Beta, the Localization function needs a lot of work, never did get it to work, which is the main reason I stopped work on it, I have to move on to another Project, but its a good start, so if you like it fork it, but I don't want to hijack this thread unless you fork it, so any discussions you want to have about this script needs to be in the new thread so I made one here -> Archwiz Script for installing Arch Linux , so let me know what you think.

#172 2013-03-04 23:01:47

helmuthdu

Flesh wrote:

We all start projects we never finish, this is one of mine, I started out to create an Automated Scripts based on this script here, only I wanted it to be a great script, not just a good script, so I first took the library of functions and created them as an API, so I could create a script based on it, then I created the logic, then the Package Manager, then tied it all together into one script; the results is what I have here github.com/ flesh / archwiz  at my repo for this project, it served its purpose and got Arch installed with all the Apps I wanted, but its still in Beta, the Localization function needs a lot of work, never did get it to work, which is the main reason I stopped work on it, I have to move on to another Project, but its a good start, so if you like it fork it, but I don't want to hijack this thread unless you fork it, so any discussions you want to have about this script needs to be in the new thread so I made one here -> Archwiz Script for installing Arch Linux , so let me know what you think.

Nice work, i will take a look a see what i can get to make this script better smile
Thx

#173 2013-04-06 19:28:05

senorsmile

Would it be possible to add a "Configure Network" to the --ais mode?  This would allow for both configuring dhcp or static, setting up appropriately and enabling/starting any needed services.  This would be beneficial as you can't really install anything on first boot of your new system without having networking set up.

#174 2013-06-29 16:02:41

georgi-it

Hello, i am sorry that this is gonna sound noobish but i was wondering how to actually use this script. At what point exactly? Should i repartitision and the download the script somewhere or load the cd then a USB and execute it from the USB. A little guidance would be great. Thank you guys in advance.

#175 2013-06-29 16:06:00

senorsmile

georgi-it wrote:

Hello, i am sorry that this is gonna sound noobish but i was wondering how to actually use this script. At what point exactly? Should i repartitision and the download the script somewhere or load the cd then a USB and execute it from the USB. A little guidance would be great. Thank you guys in advance.

There are two parts to the script: The system installer and the applications installer. 

1) system installer
./ais
You can use it to install an entire Arch Linux system.  It takes you through every step.

2) applications installer
./aui
You can use this mode to install all of your favorite applications, desktop environment, etc. AFTER you have installed the OS and have rebooted.

Board footer