You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-05 16:32:21

Kubouch

[SOLVED] Recovery

Hello,
I recently got a new laptop - ThinkPad T530 with Windows 7 64-bit preinstalled - and want to install Archlinux on it. The disk has two partitions: one normal data partiton and one recovery partition. I made a recovery CD (single file - WINRE.WIM) via the official Create Recovery Media software and also made a backup of C:/SWTOOlS directory. I'd like to completely erase everything on the laptop, merge both partitions and install Archlinux over it. Is the recovery CD I made sufficient to eventually reinstall Win7 back? I won't probably do that but I dislike the idea of throwing software away. If this is not working, what should I do to install Archlinux on both partitions while not losing my Windows?

Cheers,
Kubouch

Last edited by Kubouch (2013-01-16 11:14:03)

#2 2013-01-05 16:58:10

WonderWoofy

Re: [SOLVED] Recovery

Kubouch wrote:

I'd like to completely erase everything on the laptop, merge both partitions and install Archlinux over it

If you completely erase your drive, you won't have two partitions to merge.

Kubouch wrote:

Is the recovery CD I made sufficient to eventually reinstall Win7 back?

It should be, though I have seen countless reports of Thinkpad users who made recovery discs without testing them, only to realize that they didn't work.  Often they would not even boot.

Kubouch wrote:

I won't probably do that but I dislike the idea of throwing software away.

If this is the case, make sure those discs at least boot, and then proceed to do what you will.  I guess you could also simply dd and image of the recovery partition to some extermal media.

When I wanted to update some firmware on my computer, but needed windows, I actually just called Lenovo and had then send me recovery discs.  As long as your machine is under warranty, the discs are free.  Also, I somehow bought a machine with win7 hp, and ended up with win7 pro discs... not that I actually use them.

Kubouch wrote:

If this is not working, what should I do to install Archlinux on both partitions while not losing my Windows?

What?  I don't know what you are asking here... I think you might be misunderstanding the idea of replacing one operating system with another.

#3 2013-01-05 17:08:59

ewaller
Administrator

What I did.
My laptop came with two partitions.  Windows 7, and a recovery partition.
I resized the 300GB Windows 7 partition to 62GB.
Left the 14GB recovery partition alone.
Created an extended partition using all of the available space I created by shrinking the NTFS volume.
Created / /home and /boot in the new extended partition.
Years later, blew away the backup partition and used it to install LFS.

I do not remember which tool I used to resize the Window 7 partition.  It may have been gparted.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2013-01-05 17:10:28

pilotkeller
Website

The Windows Recovery partition does not actually contain the windown OS (~200MB might just get you Win98). It contains a seporate OS called the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE). This is simmiler to a boot disk like the UBCD, System Rescue CD, or Trinity Rescue Kit in that it offers a variety of tools and functionality to enble someone to attempt to recover the OS in the event that it goes belly up.

That said, if you wish the ability to later reinstall windows, you will need to image the main partition with your imaging tool of choice (I prefer Clonezilla).

If your laptop also contains a "Factory Image" partition you might be able to get away with imaging just that, but In my opinion, storage is cheep and this way you can be sure you got it.

#5 2013-01-13 16:23:30

Kubouch

Sorry for the delay - exams time.

If you completely erase your drive, you won't have two partitions to merge.

What?  I don't know what you are asking here... I think you might be misunderstanding the idea of replacing one operating system with another.

I wasn't clear enough. I just want to completely erase the whole disc and install Arch over it.

I made a recovery CD and it boots fine. After booting there's an option 'Restore to factory default state'. Will that work even if there is no Windows installed?
Another thing I can think of is to get Windows .iso somewhere and during the installation just enter my product key which is sticked on my laptop.
About imaging partitions - I've never done that and if it isn't really necessary I'd rather avoid it.

#6 2013-01-13 19:19:24

ANOKNUSA

There's a good chance that the recovery disc will want to use either the recovery partition, or a separate recovery back-up you made to restore it to factory settings.  After all, if you've only got a ~700 Mb CD, where's the ~15-20 Gb of OEM software going to come from?

This is really the sort of thing you should ask on the Lenovo support forums, as how these things are done depends on the manufacturer and model number of the machine in question.  Frankly, you're essentially asking a Windows question anyway; whether you want to replace Windows with Arch, Ubuntu, FreeBSD or whatever, your question doesn't pertain to the new OS, but the factory-installed one.  Go to the source for the best answer.

#7 2013-01-14 08:46:57

hunterthomson
Website

Yes, the Windows 7 backup utility will create an iso that will reinstall Windows 7 just how it is now.

You can also just reinstall Windows 7 and use the Key found on the sticker under the battery. If you don't have a Windows 7 install DVD you can download an official install DVD for free.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official- … tal-river/

OpenBSD-current Thinkpad X230, i7-3520M, 16GB CL9 Kingston, Samsung 830 256GB
Contributor: linux-grsec

#8 2013-01-14 09:12:08

Kubouch

ANOKNUSA wrote:

This is really the sort of thing you should ask on the Lenovo support forums, as how these things are done depends on the manufacturer and model number of the machine in question.  Frankly, you're essentially asking a Windows question anyway; whether you want to replace Windows with Arch, Ubuntu, FreeBSD or whatever, your question doesn't pertain to the new OS, but the factory-installed one.  Go to the source for the best answer.

Yes, this is more Lenovo than Linux question. I asked here because I expected Linux users had to solve this problem on their laptops. Anyway, I have a trip into a city today so I'll ask in Lenovo centre.

hunterthomson wrote:

Yes, the Windows 7 backup utility will create an iso that will reinstall Windows 7 just how it is now.

You can also just reinstall Windows 7 and use the Key found on the sticker under the battery. If you don't have a Windows 7 install DVD you can download an official install DVD for free.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official- … tal-river/

Well, some people here claim that the recovery CD isn't enough to install the whole Windows 7 (it's just 200MB). The second option seems viable.

I think I'll ask Lenovo now and then give it a bang and see what happens. If something goes wrong, I have acccess to a limited number of Windows installations for free (because of the school I study in) so if I lose it, it won't be complete disaster.

Thanks everyone who replied!

#9 2013-01-16 11:11:59

Kubouch

I spoke with a Lenovo serviceman and he told me that it's completely fine to install Windows from downloaded .iso and use the key I have sticked on the bottom of my laptop. He also promised to send me an e-mail with some detailed info yesterday but apparently he forgot. But I think I know everything I need.

Board footer