You are not logged in.

#1 2005-11-02 22:07:31

ndlarsen

new user saying hello + possible installer bug

Hey all.

Thought I'd use the oppretunity to say hello to you lot, so here goes.. hello. Well, I'm rather new to AL as I did my first successfull install yesterday and think I'm starting to like AL already. It seems to have the simplicity I'm fond of in Slackware plus the bonus of online repositories and what appears to be a great package managemet system (some of slack's few major shortcommings IMHO). AL might just be the disto I've been looking for, thumbs up to the devs.
However, I did a few fruitless attempts to install AL before actually having any success (this may be due to ignorance but I think not). Here's bacially what I did.

Partitioned and formatted the hard drive prior to installation.

First time:
Full package install, configuration, no bootloader (added an entry to an existing grub conf in my gentoo installation).

Second time:
Base package install, configuration, no bootloader (added an entry to an existing grub conf in my gentoo installation).

Third and forth time:
Redid above just in case I had messed something up but no.

Fifth time:
Full package install, configuration + grub and copied over the grub conf from the gentoo installation (so precisely same entry as earlier). Bingo, I had a bootable AL installation.

The first four times left me with a /dev containing console/, null/ and a third I cannot remember the name of but otherwise empty. I've redone the issue on my test box just to be certain about it. Whether this is a bug in the installer or not, I do not know for sure (nor if it has already been reported if it in fact is) but to me it quite sounds so. Just thought I'd let you know, otherwise, great job done.

Regards.

[edit]

I forgot to mention that I did a 0.7 CD install. Sorry about that.

[/edit]

I made it long
as I lacked the time to make it short...

#2 2005-11-02 22:45:35

rayjgu3

Re: new user saying hello + possible installer bug

if i recall correctly there is a bug in grub overwriting a previosly installed grub
it just dont do it , i could very well be wrong
but i like lilo so i use it

when installing , after kernel installs  it reminds you to  install a boot loader
if im correct here  you select to install boot loader all it does is creates lilo.conf/menu.lst
then you go edit it & all other files to your needs then rerun the install boot loader
thats the only thing coming to mind here smile

#3 2005-11-03 15:32:57

sudman1

Did you do an FTP install, or install from CD?

v/r
Suds

#4 2005-11-03 16:34:36

ndlarsen

Ah, yes, I forgot to mention, sorry about that. 0.7 CD install.

I made it long
as I lacked the time to make it short...

Board footer