You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-14 19:05:53

nomorewindows

[Solved] NFS server quirky after last update

NFS-utlis seems to be acting weird today after the update.
I have a couple directories in /etc/exports.
A couple directories work fine, but for some strange reason when I export /var/cache/pacman/pkg, it dry mounts and ls shows no files.  I do the same thing with an OpenBSD client, and it mounts just fine.  When it mounts under ArchLinux from an ArchLinux NFS server, the mount line isn't

/var/cache/pacman/pkg

it is

//var/cache/pacman/pkg

Not sure how to get pacserve to get from another machine.  Doesn't seem to be working.

Last edited by nomorewindows (2013-01-15 19:21:44)

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#2 2013-01-14 21:32:27

nomorewindows

Re: [Solved] NFS server quirky after last update

Noticed something else.  My other exports just also happen to also be on separately mounted filesystems.  /var/cache/pacman/pkg isn't on a separate filesystem by itself.  This wasn't a problem before, but now all of a sudden is.  Tried another directory under root filesystem and was able to mount it.  Don't know why nfs hates the pkg directory all of a sudden.

Last edited by nomorewindows (2013-01-14 21:35:36)

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3 2013-01-14 21:57:54

nomorewindows

Now I'm mounting things that aren't even in my /etc/exports or shown with showmount -e <server>.  This isn't supposed to happen!  It will even empty mount my pkg directory even if it isn't in my exports.  But OpenBSD will respond with an error if I'm trying to mount something that isn't in exports.  This is beginning to sound like a serious exploit.

Look ma, no mouse.

#4 2013-01-15 13:59:54

alphaniner

I was gonna update and see if I could duplicate, now I'm thinking it's not such a good idea...

If you don't have anything new by this afternoon, I'll give it a try. I only have one box running Arch though, so I'd have to mount from the same machine. Not sure how productive that would be.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#5 2013-01-15 17:18:24

nomorewindows

Hmm...trying different things to see what I get and my OpenBSD mounts the export I ask for.  But under ArchLinux, it seems to be mounting everything under my /srv/tftp directory for one of my exports is /srv/tftp.  That explains the empty /var/cache/pacman/pkg directory, because the PXE client package files are stored under the hosts' real /var/cache/pacman/pkg.  I mounted /home and I got /srv/tftp/home.  I mounted /var thinking I was going to cd into cache/pacman/pkg and get my pkg files.  Instead I was served /srv/tftp/var/.  Using the log/ directory I was able to confirm which mount I actually had.  But I am giving absolute paths in my /etc/exports.  I was getting NFS errors on my PXE client.

Look ma, no mouse.

#6 2013-01-15 19:21:23

nomorewindows

Took fsid=0 out of export line in reference to /srv/tftp and that was the culprit. Why that changed meaning I'm not sure what happened.  Not sure why OpenBSD respected the expected behaviour, but seems to be fixed now.

Look ma, no mouse.

#7 2013-01-16 21:54:08

nomorewindows

Finally got pacserve working, a few lines in /etc/pacman.conf saves a few lines of --cachedir.

Look ma, no mouse.

#8 2013-01-16 22:30:39

felixculpa

From the NFS wiki page:

Note: The fsid=0 is required for the root file system being exported. /srv/nfs4 is the NFS root here (due to the fsid=0 entry). Everything else that you want to be shared over NFS must be accessible under /srv/nfs4. Setting an NFS root is required. For exporting directories outside the NFS root, see below.

Maybe you need a trailing / on your NFS root directory?

#9 2013-01-17 14:19:17

nomorewindows

felixculpa wrote:

From the NFS wiki page:

Note: The fsid=0 is required for the root file system being exported. /srv/nfs4 is the NFS root here (due to the fsid=0 entry). Everything else that you want to be shared over NFS must be accessible under /srv/nfs4. Setting an NFS root is required. For exporting directories outside the NFS root, see below.

Maybe you need a trailing / on your NFS root directory?

I may give that a try at some point.  It was the odd circumstance that I had /var/cache/pacman/pkg in both places and it favored exporting the one under /srv/tftp, but the other exports weren't under /srv/tftp, and it exported them from their correct place.  OpenBSD mounted the export that I had intended it to export, and later I tried OpenBSD with /home, and it didn't work, so I tried /srv/tftp/home, and it did replicate the behaviour I was having.  It wasn't consistent between NFS clients, so I don't what the difference is.

Look ma, no mouse.

Board footer