You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-16 11:36:27

vic

encryption graphical password

i installed Fuduntu 2013 yesterday and i tweaked some of the settings in its guided setup. then i saw a setting that will make your system encrypted so i tried it. upon finishing the installation, i rebooted my laptop and when it starts to boot from the kernel, i saw a horizontal box prompting me to input my encryption password. then, i thought of arch linux to do the same thing. i tried installing arch linux in vm virtual box to make an encryption just like Fuduntu. i managed to do the encryption using LUKS in LVM, but when it started to ask for the password, a box didn't flash on the screen but just a text based one, interrupting the booting process of arch. my question is is there a method of encrypting my root with the encrypting password appearing in a GUI-like style? or is it just like a plymouth asking for a password before booting?

#2 2013-01-17 01:44:52

cfr

Re: encryption graphical password

Fedora does the same. If I wanted to copy it on Arch, I'd figure out how it did it on my Fedora box and go from there. I haven't actually done this as I want Arch booting in text mode anyway but that's the strategy I'd use if I did.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#3 2013-01-18 02:19:01

awbs

Re: encryption graphical password

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Plymouth

To mimic Fedora, install the plymouth package from AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/plymouth, or if you have an AUR Helper:
(for example, if you have yaourt)

yaourt -S plymouth

Their is also a plymouth-git version, but I found that one to be unstable. You can also download the plymouth-theme-arch-logo from the AUR (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/plym … arch-logo/) if you want a more Arch like boot up.

In your /etc/mkinitcpio.conf file add 'plymouth' after 'base udev' in the HOOKS array. Replace the 'encrypt' hook with 'plymouth-encrypt'.
Set the theme of plymouth (if you installed plymouth-theme-arch-logo for example) with:

plymouth-set-default-theme -l

Recreate your initramfs:

sudo mkinitcpio -p linux

Edit your /etc/default/grub file. Add 'splash' after 'quiet' in the line that starts with 'GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT='. Recreate your grub.cfg with:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Set your login manager to use plymouth, so for example if you have KDM installed do:

sudo systemctl disable kdm
sudo systemctl enable kdm-plymouth

I imagine that it would be okay to replace kdm with gdm or whatever login manager you have.

Restart!

(If it doesn't work you will probably have to boot a live-cd/usb, chroot into it and remove 'plymouth' and 'plymouth-encrypt' from /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and restart.)

My system boots with plymouth and works well both on the Intel and Nvidia card. It's also very quiet, the only message I see the whole time is 'Grub is loading.' right at the start up bootup for less than a second.

Last edited by awbs (2013-01-18 02:20:29)

Board footer