You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-18 05:10:03

wolfdogg

please critique my zfs-fuse setup - wiki to follow - help needed

Hi all,
I am writing a new wiki for zfs-fuse that will hopefully find a niche and help others.

I am having a couple rough spots:
For example im trying to figure out why when i do a

# zpool create pool /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /dev/sde 

with a 2TB, 750GB, 750GB, 500GB that the end file size comes out ~3.5TB instead of 4TB, and likewise when i create with a 2TB, 500GB, 500GB the drive size comes out ~2.68TB.......  Does the zpool automatically use the smallest drive as a cache drive or something? Or am i just that bad at 1024*1024*xxx   

Another question i am having is what role does mdadm play if i created a linear span array,  on the zpool, would this still be considered zfs? 

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Us … ementation

heres the wiki please critique it, comment on it, bash it, help it, anything.  Im sort of finished until i can have someone point out any lame mistakes in the way i created the partition tables, or used a zpool when i shouldnt be, if indeed the way i have done it with the bf00 filesystem type 'Solaris root' is indeed zfs.   

Im looking for complete filesystem integrity for a backup drive array, thats all.  If its only a backup array, then without having minimum of 6 like sized hard drives i dont expect to have a nice raidZ1 setup with two separate vdevs that can take full advantage of the checksum file correction system that striped arrays offer yet, i just want to get teh zfs system up and running on one array until i get more hard drives. 

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Us … ementation

Last edited by wolfdogg (2013-01-18 05:16:45)

Node.js, PHP Software Architect and Engineer (Full-Stack/DevOps)
GitHub  | LinkedIn

#2 2013-01-18 07:04:02

chris_l

Re: please critique my zfs-fuse setup - wiki to follow - help needed

So, that article you have there is like a draft you are planing to add as a regular arch wiki article?
If thats the case, then read the Help:Style article, it has the rules about how you should write wiki articles on the archwiki.
For instance, you are talking a lot on the first person, and giving personal comments. Like this:

1) to get to step one on the ZFS-FUSE page https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ZFS_on_FUSE i had to do a few things. that was to install yaourt, which was not necessarily straight forward. I will be vague in these instructions since i have already completed these steps so they are coming from memory

That style of writing is more fitting for a blog than a wiki article. The style article mention:

Write objectively: do not include personal comments on articles, use discussion pages for this purpose. In general, do not write in first person.

Check it here.

So, instead of saying things similar to this:
"I had to install blabla, I did it with yaourt like this: yaourt -S blabla, but you can download it manually from AUR, makepkg it, and then install it with pacman"
Is better if you say it like this:
"Install the package blabla from the AUR"
Of course, using the wiki conventions for making "Install" a link to pacman, "blabla" a link to the aur page of the package, and "AUR" a link to the aur wiki article.

Just read the article, and you will know how you should write it.
wink

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#3 2013-01-18 15:54:40

wolfdogg

Thanks Chris,

Yes im planning to add as a regular arch wiki article.  The ZFS portions will either somehow bulk into the existing ZFS and or ZFS-fuse documentation if theres anything of benefit to add, or ill try to refine a usage for it, such as ZFS for Backup or something like that. I actually am normally aware of that concept and had been moving out the first person comments a bit at a time, have been skipping over the one you mentione.  Ill look more carefully now that you confirmed my suspicions.  Thanks for the link, i hadnt reviewed it before that i recall.

I appreciate your comments.

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#4 2013-01-29 16:19:12

wolfdogg

well, the setup is working flawlessly, it would be nice to get some constructive criticism, or someone who know some of the answers some of the challenges that face me.  Im guessing nobody uses zfs-fuse or zfs in general and that may be why so little attention to my zfs topics...

it sure it nice to have the 3.5Tb pool, puts my extra drives to good backup-duty use.

GitHub  | LinkedIn

Board footer