You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-09 12:54:29

zadaran
Member
Registered: 2012-09-27
Posts: 14

"no wireless networks found " at random times

Hi there,

I have a problem that is driving me crazy.

My network sometimes (without reason) goes down and from that time it is not possible to restart it unless I reboot the laptop.

It just says: "no wireless networks found". I have tried to restart wicd and the network but no result.

I have tried also to do a sudo iwlist scan, tried to do a ifconfig wlan0 up with no success. I have got messages such as: "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Invalid argument" and "wlan0     Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down".

I have tried also to rmmod and modprobe ath5k (my network card is an Atheros) and other modules but still nothing.


Any other idea?


Cheers!


Edit:
I don't rimember the first time I got this problem (not less than 5 6 months)

Last edited by zadaran (2013-01-09 12:57:19)

Offline

#2 2013-01-10 15:49:51

smaug
Member
From: SSM, Ontario, Canada
Registered: 2013-01-10
Posts: 4
Website

Re: "no wireless networks found " at random times

This may be a silly question, but have you checked to see if any other computers on your network are losing connectivity as well?


smaug@dalnet/freenode

Offline

#3 2013-01-10 15:52:37

Trilby
Forum Moderator
From: Massachusetts, USA
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 13,705
Website

Re: "no wireless networks found " at random times

If it works (I suspect it will) the following would be much easier than rebooting

#first kill any wpa_supplicant or dhcpcd processes, then:
sudp ip link set wlan0 down
sudo ip link set wlan0 up
sudo iwlist wlan0 scan

InterrobangSlider
• How's my coding? See this page.
• How's my moderating? Feel free to email any concerns, complaints, or objections.

Offline

#4 2013-01-10 17:07:37

zadaran
Member
Registered: 2012-09-27
Posts: 14

Re: "no wireless networks found " at random times

smaug wrote:

This may be a silly question, but have you checked to see if any other computers on your network are losing connectivity as well?

Yes it works with other laptops. No problems with my laptop and Win7.. it's just with Arch..

Offline

#5 2013-01-10 17:09:43

zadaran
Member
Registered: 2012-09-27
Posts: 14

Re: "no wireless networks found " at random times

Trilby wrote:

If it works (I suspect it will) the following would be much easier than rebooting

#first kill any wpa_supplicant or dhcpcd processes, then:
sudp ip link set wlan0 down
sudo ip link set wlan0 up
sudo iwlist wlan0 scan

I'm going to try it but I foreseen a "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Invalid argument" error message when trying to do the "sudo ip link set wlan0 up"..

I'll keep you updated!

Offline

#6 2013-01-11 19:34:44

zadaran
Member
Registered: 2012-09-27
Posts: 14

Re: "no wireless networks found " at random times

Don't know why but still no wireless down... It's totally random..

Offline

#7 2013-01-19 10:24:38

zadaran
Member
Registered: 2012-09-27
Posts: 14

Re: "no wireless networks found " at random times

Ok, it happened:

when I tried:  sudo ip link set wlan0 down

It prompted me that it could not find wlan0


O.o

Offline

#8 2013-01-19 11:24:56

satanselbow
Member
Registered: 2011-06-15
Posts: 530

Re: "no wireless networks found " at random times

Could you post the results of:

lspci | grep Network

and (though may not give anything back)

iwconfig

Can you bring your wireless back up by unloading / reloading the module?

# modprobe -r ath5k
# modprobe ath5k

I was getting random disconnects and slowdowns (on an Intel chip) due to the devilish combination of poor ipv6 handling and wireless N - displayed similar symptoms to what you are experiencing, however

There are effective fixes on the wiki for both situations - could be used to discount those particular issues if nothing else wink

Offline

#9 2013-01-20 15:09:19

zadaran
Member
Registered: 2012-09-27
Posts: 14

Re: "no wireless networks found " at random times

satanselbow wrote:

Could you post the results of:

lspci | grep Network

and (though may not give anything back)

iwconfig

Can you bring your wireless back up by unloading / reloading the module?

# modprobe -r ath5k
# modprobe ath5k

I was getting random disconnects and slowdowns (on an Intel chip) due to the devilish combination of poor ipv6 handling and wireless N - displayed similar symptoms to what you are experiencing, however

There are effective fixes on the wiki for both situations - could be used to discount those particular issues if nothing else wink

Thanks for your support..

This problem is really annoying.. (above all because it's random..)

With the: ~ $ sudo ip link set wlan0 up, today I got this message:

RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument



lspci | grep Network
03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

~ $ iwconfig
eth0      no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any 
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.422 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated   
          Tx-Power=16 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off


I will try to look again in the wiki but I haven't found anything that looks exactly like my problem..


Cheers

Offline

#10 2013-01-20 21:23:55

renegat
Member
From: Europe
Registered: 2012-12-28
Posts: 73

Re: "no wireless networks found " at random times

Hello!

I've experienced similar problems with suddenly vanishing atheros wlan-card. (AR2427)
It pointed out to a problem with the power management setting which causes this behaviour when set to 'on'.
Once fallen in sleep-mode after some time IDLE the card won't wake up any more and is 'gone' till you manually bring it up again.

By setting 'Power Management:off' permanently for the card using an udev rule or LaptopModeTools the problem was gone for me.


When faced to untenable alternatives you should consider your imperative. [Adm. Helena Caine, BSG62 'Pegasus']

Offline

#11 2013-01-22 11:02:07

zadaran
Member
Registered: 2012-09-27
Posts: 14

Re: "no wireless networks found " at random times

renegat wrote:

Hello!

I've experienced similar problems with suddenly vanishing atheros wlan-card. (AR2427)
It pointed out to a problem with the power management setting which causes this behaviour when set to 'on'.
Once fallen in sleep-mode after some time IDLE the card won't wake up any more and is 'gone' till you manually bring it up again.

By setting 'Power Management:off' permanently for the card using an udev rule or LaptopModeTools the problem was gone for me.


Hi!

Thanks for your advice!

So I have to disable the Power management just for the card, not the power management in general, right?

I hope it works!

Offline

#12 2013-01-24 21:19:43

renegat
Member
From: Europe
Registered: 2012-12-28
Posts: 73

Re: "no wireless networks found " at random times

Yes, only the wifi-cards power-management has to be disabled

...like as it is mentioned here

Last edited by renegat (2013-01-25 08:59:43)


When faced to untenable alternatives you should consider your imperative. [Adm. Helena Caine, BSG62 'Pegasus']

Offline

#13 2013-01-25 13:07:11

zadaran
Member
Registered: 2012-09-27
Posts: 14

Re: "no wireless networks found " at random times

Thanks again mate,

The network these days look fine. A week it works always fine, another week it gives me problem every day..
I get:

# sudo journalctl -b | grep wlan*
# kernel: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
# kernel: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
# kernel: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
# kernel: wlan0: authenticate with XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
# kernel: wlan0: send auth to XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX  (try 1/3)
# kernel: wlan0: authenticated
# kernel: wlan0: associate with XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX  (try 1/3)
# kernel: wlan0: RX AssocResp from XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX  (capab=0x411 status=0 aid=3)
# kernel: wlan0: associated
# kernel: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready


It is different but I'll try to run that command if the problem comes back.

Thanks again for your advices

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB