You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-20 22:52:25

oui

icecat

as I am an adept of gnu, I wish to install icecat. somewhat seems don't to work or I use the wrong method. was is to do to install it easily?

#2 2013-01-20 23:11:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: icecat

What method did you use? And what about it didn't work?

Install icecat from the AUR.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-01-20 23:22:05

Pank

I guess you could also check out parabola linux:

https://parabolagnulinux.org/packages/?q=icecat

Arch x64 on Thinkpad X200s/W530

#4 2013-01-21 00:24:33

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

oui wrote:

somewhat seems don't to work or I use the wrong method

That is not an error message, nor anything useful for people to assist you with. Please read
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way.

Then post with details about what you did, what went wrong, what else you have tried, etc...

Note: it just built fine for me* - so the issue is unlikely to be the PKGBUILD.

* Which was a mistake: it takes forever to compile...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2013-01-21 00:30:09

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Yup, still compiling it here.  I did have to change the autoconf dependency - the PKGBUILD lists it with what looks like a version number actually appended to the name rather than with an equals or greater than.  I just removed the number so it would match the autoconf package.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2013-01-21 08:15:27

jakobcreutzfeldt

Pank wrote:

I'll second this. If you're interested enough in free software to prefer to use Icecat, you would also be interested enough to use Parabola, which conveniently has Icecat in its [libre] repo. For all intents and purposes, Parabola is exactly the same as Arch, except non-free packages are automatically blocked from installing via the clever use of fake conflicts (if I remember correctly).

#7 2013-01-22 09:24:43

oui

Hi

Thank you for your very reactive help!

jasonwryan wrote:
oui wrote:

somewhat seems don't to work or I use the wrong method

That is not an error message, nor anything useful for people to assist you with. Please read
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way.

dear wryan, you manage a forum in the saying only-one-world-language ;-) . I don't know how many languages you are speaking yourself but I know that you birthname "wryan" is very common in English people and is an indice your can have English as mother tongue. I not... I did never learn English (although the mother of my grand'ma was really English). I only see that English speaker are not really terrible in foreing languages. and I am happy if I can just explain me on an English messages board... This board did propose me two languages English and German. I did mark German (I am not German, it is not my mother tongue, but I speak German really fluent) and the board did register English. ok...
As I speak French and German, I can write more easy a bad English always using a poor vocabulary and Google translator, but not read undigest pages in the only-one-world-language... And I find it is not fair for us to recieve an dominant policy message at my first request. it very unsympathic...

Pank wrote:

dear Pank, thank you very much! I is a very fine depository!

jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
Pank wrote:

I'll second this. If you're interested enough in free software to prefer to use Icecat, you would also be interested enough to use Parabola, which conveniently has Icecat in its [libre] repo. For all intents and purposes, Parabola is exactly the same as Arch, except non-free packages are automatically blocked from installing via the clever use of fake conflicts (if I remember correctly).

dear jakobcreutzfeldt, I am already years ago fan from Puppy linux and Slitaz, but I miss, it is true, GNU presence in both (although SliTaz will be completely independant and free; but GNU software is often more big as his not completely free pendant, and a Linux starting with a 20..34 MB ISO has to look for extremly compact solution).

so I came to Arch from Puppy Linux as we have since a few weeks a new derivative named ArchPup with an ISO with only 80 MB being not fully but very compatibel with Arch with built in «packman» and «packer».

my vision of operations systems is that they are crazzy: to big, no respect of people having old hardware (probably the most people in the world, especially in Africa, Asia, latin America, South Sea)

Pank wrote:

dear Pank, with your help, I did install icecat in my ArchPup and remaster it with this browser so that it is now directly in my version. Thank you very much (I did use till yet the older version from dragora linux, only as copy)

I would have a lot of questions on Gnu software and parabola, dragora but I don't find any specialized general forum on Gnu...

kind regards

#8 2013-01-22 11:46:15

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Oui, What JasonWRyan was point out had nothing to do with your English proficiency.  You seem to use English very well.  The point was that you had not provided the relevant information.

"What I did gave error messages"  or "Ce que je n'ai produite messages d'erreur" would be just the same: no information.  We are happy to help people who many not be proficient in English, but there is a more fundamental aspect of communication than language: information.  If you don't share information, there is really nothing anyone can do for you.

In fact, as one example, I think I was able to help a Russian user once who didn't speak or write any English.  Error messages are universal.  I didn't recognize any of his writing and even thought it was Greek at first.  But I did recognize the errors.  I was able to post the commands that might fix the errors.  He spoke no English, and I spoke no Russian - but we were able to share information.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-01-22 11:49:00)

Board footer