You are not logged in.

#426 2012-06-08 19:20:49

Collared Pika

Re: The wmii thread

Nice window manager, mostly does what I want it to do, with one exception though:

When there's only a single column in a view, it fills the horizontal screen space completely. While useful for small screens, I find this annoying on new-fashioned wide-screens, especially in browsers (when, e.g., a Wikipedia article extends over 1600 pixels). Do you know of a way to limit the horizontal screen space taken by a column?

I didn't see a solution in user guides, man pages, forums. Since I guess the problem is of relevance also for others, I ask you here.

In short:
standard wmii (not ruby-%),
define horizontal size of a column (as percentage or in pixels).

Thank you for solutions, workarounds, or suggestions.

#427 2012-06-08 21:35:28

lagagnon
Website

Not sure myself how to do what you ask, but the simple solution is to create another column, ie just fill it with a terminal (Mod-Enter, Mod-Shift-h/l). The primary reason for a tiling window manager is to maximize screen use of apps. If you want small windows in a large screen estate you would be better off with the floating window paradigm.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#428 2012-06-09 14:20:43

Collared Pika

lagagnon wrote:

the simple solution is to create another column, ie just fill it with a terminal (Mod-Enter, Mod-Shift-h/l).

... that's what I find myself doing most of the times sad

Still, I'm hopeful that there is a solution scripting wmii somehow. In fact, I can resize the horizontal screen space used by a view with the mouse (not with 'Mod + right click', interestingly, but by moving to the tiny right border and holding the left mouse key). Unfortunately, the view won't automatically expand back to the right screen edge when a second column is added. I have to do this again manually with the mouse.

Although I have no idea how, automating this procedure should be possible (?). Any ideas?

Thanks again.

#429 2012-06-14 18:00:26

lagagnon
Website

For about two weeks now my wmii status bar is not updating itself on a frequent basis as it used to. In fact it is almost now useless as a status bar - I have not made any changes to my .wmiirc file at all. The status bar works fine if run as a one shot.

You can view my .wmiirc file with the status bar code here:  https://gist.github.com/2931804

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Larry

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#430 2013-01-21 11:07:32

LostPW

Hello,
can anybody tell me where i have to add the autostart programs like nm-applet and jupiter?

greets,
Andreas

#431 2013-01-21 14:44:37

x33a
Forum Fellow

I don't know any wmii specific file, but .xinitrc should work.

#432 2013-07-11 16:41:35

Lord Bo

Hi,
are there still any wmii enthusiasts beside me? I hope so. I wrote a wmiirc in C++. It's nothing too spectacular; at the moment it just does anything i want it to do, which is not as much as other rc's do; but it is extendable. Is anyone interested, then I could make it ready for
upload on bitbucket.

#433 2013-08-24 07:13:33

ace91
Website

Yes, wmii enthusiast here. big_smile I've tried a lot of tiling window managers, but I like wmii for its simplicity and the fact that it's basically just a framework that you power with your own scripts. I'm currently in the process of writing a complex wmii config in node.js. Asynchronous, event-based I/O and wmii seem to go together perfectly. I'll be posting my progress on it on my blog, once I have more working code.

EDIT: Here's my progress so far:
    Part 0: http://sector91.wordpress.com/2013/08/2 … roduction/
    Part 1: http://sector91.wordpress.com/2013/08/2 … -handling/

Last edited by ace91 (2013-08-25 23:23:13)

#434 2013-09-22 11:50:03

Lord Bo

Hi,

i saw your post just now. Your approach is using java script, which is also quite interesting.
To my mind the possibility to code wmii with any language is fantastic.
I have had some sort of system crash recently and now I'm trying to recover from that.
After that, I will upload my configuration.

Benjamin

#435 2014-07-25 09:52:04

SoleSoul

Hi Lord Bo,

Dead thread, I know, but do you still have this C++ wmiirc file? I'd like to take a look.

Board footer