You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-21 22:59:08

w_bowman
Website

[SOLVED] Running startx causes a system freeze

When I run startx, openbox starts, but then I have no control over anything, i.e. mouse, keyboard, etc. I cannot even get to a different tty or do a REISUB. Basically, I am locked out. As long as I don't run startx, everything is ok. This happened after I updated today. I thought possibly that it could be my Nvidia drivers, but my wifi isn't working since I logged back in either. wlan0 is not found, and I haven't been around an ethernet cord yet to try wired. Any ideas?

Last edited by w_bowman (2013-01-22 16:26:39)

#2 2013-01-21 23:01:40

flipper T

Re: [SOLVED] Running startx causes a system freeze

Are you using nvidia beta ?

If so, uninstall them, install nvidia drivers.

Oddly, you should now be able to reinstall the beta drivers successfully.

edit : on reflection, above may be irrelevant to your issue, but was a problem i encountered when updating to latest kernal.

Last edited by flipper T (2013-01-21 23:04:43)

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the [censored] car. -The Wolf

#3 2013-01-21 23:02:12

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

No idea about X; but your wifi is related to the systemd update. See
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=156283

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2013-01-22 14:33:04

w_bowman
Website

My problem seems to go farther then the systemd update. Running

lspci | grep -i net

gives me my Ethernet card, so I know it is being seen, but running

ip link 

or

ifconfig

only returns lo and no wifi or ethernet devices. I would post the outputs, but seeing as how I have to live cd just to get on the forums, I can't really do that.

#5 2013-01-22 15:04:54

w_bowman
Website

Also, I think I know what my issue with X is, found some advice here:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=156666

but I cannot begin to work on my X problems with some form, be it wireless or wired, internet connection so I can get pacman to downgrade some of the drivers to legecy. I've also tried chrooting from my live cd and doing pacman details there, but even though I am connected to the internet, pacman cannot find the host, which is my usual error when I am not connected to the internet.

#6 2013-01-22 15:11:40

flipper T

Your issues started after updating ?

Rollback the updates / problem gone ?

Probably connected with new kernal, so reinstall old one .

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the [censored] car. -The Wolf

#7 2013-01-22 16:06:01

w_bowman
Website

I tried that

pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/mypackagestodowngrade

but the problem that I am having then is that I can't go back because of dependencies. So when I try to go back to the previous kernel in my pkg it tells me that my nvidia drivers are dependent on it and I can't downgrade. Same issue trying to go back to my previous nvidia drivers, it says that they are dependent on linux. I am using nvidia-304xx btw.

When I try to downgrade systemd, which seems to be the cause of my internet issues, well that just won't work because the systemd-196 needs nss-myhostname which is in conflict with systemd-197 and when I try to remove -197 it gives me dependency errors all the way down.

#8 2013-01-22 16:12:33

flipper T

So remove nvidia drivers, reinstall previous kernel, reinstall nvidia drivers ?

Sorry if i am missing something.

(To be honest, I would personally back up important files & reinstall if i was you, but i know that is not the "arch-way")

#9 2013-01-22 16:24:04

w_bowman
Website

That, my good sir, did the trick. I can now startx without it freezing. I am still having some internet issues, but with wifi-menu got it to connect to a network. Thank you, and I will mark the thread as solved!

Board footer