You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-22 02:47:38

Jormundir

[SOLVED] No internet connection after install.

I just finished an fresh install of the newest Arch distribution on a virtualbox virtual machine. During the installation I had an internet connection with no trouble. After doing the arch-chroot, I set up net-auto-wired. After finishing the installation and rebooting, I don't have an internet connection.

I know this isn't much information, but let me know what you need and I will provide it.

(Yes I've googled it and looked around the forums, but haven't found a solution to my specific situation).

Last edited by Jormundir (2013-01-22 06:43:15)

#2 2013-01-22 02:56:36

cfr

Re: [SOLVED] No internet connection after install.

Welcome to Arch!

Please see the links in my signature for help with providing the sort of information that will enable people to help you.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Help Vampires

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | grub2 | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x121e | Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2367M CPU @ 1.40GHz GenuineIntel | Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 | US keyboard with Euro | 320G 7200 RPM Seagate HDD

#3 2013-01-22 03:05:33

Jormundir

With $ lspci -v

The ethernet controller does not have a module listed.

$ ip addr | sed '/^[0-9]/!d;s/: <.*$//'

only shows information about lo

#4 2013-01-22 03:07:28

Trilby
Forum Moderator
Website

One source of helpful information you could provide by (temporarily) disabling any network management tools (net-auto-wired, that's netcfg, right?) and just connect manually.  If that works, you know something is wrong with the management tool configuration, if it doesn't, you'll know it is something more basic.

My first suspicion is the renamed interfaces - but that is a complete guess without any relevant information.

EDIT: nevermind this post for now - if you do not have an interface yet, that is definitely something more basic than either of the above considerations.  But saying lscpi -v says the ethernet card doesn't have a module is not nearly as helpful as actually giving the relevant output that says what the card is.  The only response anyone could give to that is "I guess you better load the right module".

Last edited by Trilby (2013-01-22 03:10:28)

InterrobangSlider
• How's my coding? See this page.
• How's my moderating? Feel free to email any concerns, complaints, or objections.

#5 2013-01-22 03:11:12

Jormundir

When you say disable network management tools and connect manually, can you give a little bit more detail please? I'm a pretty big linux newb, as well as being new to Arch.

#6 2013-01-22 03:14:35

cfr

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Help Vampires

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | grub2 | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x121e | Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2367M CPU @ 1.40GHz GenuineIntel | Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 | US keyboard with Euro | 320G 7200 RPM Seagate HDD

#7 2013-01-22 03:25:48

Trilby
Forum Moderator
Website

Jormundir, being new and uninformed is fine - but arch users are expected to be able to inform themselves to a degree.  I suggested you disable the management tools and specified that I was referring to the very same one you had claimed you enabled.  If you enabled it, you should know how to disable it.  I even indicated that it was (I think) part of netcfg - this in turn should suggest you would find the information in the netcfg man page and wiki page.

In your response, however, there was no indication that you followed up on this information in a reasonable way.  You did not check the man page or wiki and come back with a clearly formed question, but rather you are looking to be guided by the hand - we really don't do that here.

The arch linux community is very good at "teaching people to fish", but in general, members here are not open to "giving people fish".  Please do check out the links in cfr's signature to understand this view and the reasons for it.  Then check out the relevant wiki pages at wiki.archlinux.org to learn about network management.

Then ... answer my request for the lspci information if/when you still need help.

InterrobangSlider
• How's my coding? See this page.
• How's my moderating? Feel free to email any concerns, complaints, or objections.

#8 2013-01-22 03:52:14

Jormundir

Solved.

By reading the netcfg wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netcfg

I realized I had not actually configured it (a step conveniently omitted from the beginner's installation guide).

using: ip link, I got the ethernet interface, then edited /etc/network.d/ethernet-dhcp to reflect that interface.

Trilby, I respect your sentiment, though it's very frustrating when many of the wikis are incomplete, and being so new, it's hard to know what I don't know, and what to look for. I suppose it was stupid to overlook the manpage, though they're not my favorite source of information.

Thank you all for the help, this is looking like a great community! Before I do any more complaining, I'll try to help out with the wikis where I can.

Last edited by Jormundir (2013-01-22 04:39:46)

#9 2013-01-22 13:29:03

DislikeYou

I had same issue, network did not work after install. I found out it is because of changes in systemd, eth0 is now eno1 on my system.
During install i used "systemctl enable dhcpcd@eth0.service" but after install it did not start the network because there is no eth0 anymore.

Last edited by DislikeYou (2013-01-23 08:05:26)

Board footer