You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-22 11:12:50

ppsalama
Member
From: Spain
Registered: 2012-01-29
Posts: 79

[SOLVED] Problem with kernel 3.7 update and nvidia legacy

Two months ago, after a pacman Syu, showed me an update for nvidia and nvidia-utils to version 310. I updated, rebooted, I lost my X, and I had to downgrade to my, now legacy, drivers 304.64-1 version. I had to add in my pacman.conf one IgnorePkg for nvidia and nvidia-utils for ignoring that update with the following Syu pacman to do hereafter.

Today, again I do a pacman Syu and I get the following message
Error: Failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: Nvidia: requires linux <3.7

I'm thinking and I guess that is to upgrade the kernel to version 3.7 and my legacy 304.64-1 drivers are not compatible. I get depressed, would not I be able to upgrade the kernel because I have to stay in nvidia legacy?

I'm still researching and I go to the list of packages nvidia listed there, on the website of arch and see the following
nvidia.png
And I note the following:
- My driver 304.64-1 now is for linux-lts???? ... I understand nothing, (I have the lts kernel in my boot but never selected it), well, never mind
- 310.19-3 driver is flagged in red??? , But hey, never mind I can not use that driver
- There is a driver 304.64-2, new version, since yesterday, of the legacy driver (I guess it's an update of mine) and is compatible with Linux 3.7 ... eureka

So I still think and say to myself ... if I update my driver 304.64-1 to 304.64-2, I keep legacy (ie no problems with the X), and I can also upgrade to linux 3.7

So I edit my pacman.conf to reconsider nvidia updates with the hope that the update display 304.64-2 ... but when i pacman Syu again appears between packages to upgrade ... nvidia-310.19-3 and nvidia-utils-310.19-1 ... damn ... I can not do it so

The question : Should I manually update my legacy 304.64-1 to 304.64-2 driver? How?

Thank you

And sorry for my English

Last edited by ppsalama (2013-01-22 15:57:32)

Offline

#2 2013-01-22 11:34:14

graysky
Member
From: /run/user/1000
Registered: 2008-12-01
Posts: 8,338
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with kernel 3.7 update and nvidia legacy

You should not need to manually update.  Likely, your mirror is not sync'ed up.  I recommend using reflector which will keep your mirrorlist fresh.


CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Offline

#3 2013-01-22 11:44:31

rtoijala
Member
Registered: 2011-09-11
Posts: 29

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with kernel 3.7 update and nvidia legacy

nvidia and nvidia-304xx are separate packages.
You have the nvidia package installed, so pacman will naturally try to update it to the latest version (310.19).
What you want is the latest version of the legacy driver (304.64-2)
Uninstall nvidia and nvidia-utils (and lib32-nvidia-utils if you have it) and install the legacy versions: nvidia-304xx, nvidia-304xx-utils (and lib32-nvidia-304xx-utils if you need it).

EDIT: spelling

Last edited by rtoijala (2013-01-22 11:44:57)

Offline

#4 2013-01-22 13:00:35

ppsalama
Member
From: Spain
Registered: 2012-01-29
Posts: 79

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with kernel 3.7 update and nvidia legacy

graysky wrote:

You should not need to manually update.  Likely, your mirror is not sync'ed up.  I recommend using reflector which will keep your mirrorlist fresh.

I think my  mirror is sync'ed up, but I will see it

rtoijala wrote:

nvidia and nvidia-304xx are separate packages.
You have the nvidia package installed, so pacman will naturally try to update it to the latest version (310.19).
What you want is the latest version of the legacy driver (304.64-2)
Uninstall nvidia and nvidia-utils (and lib32-nvidia-utils if you have it) and install the legacy versions: nvidia-304xx, nvidia-304xx-utils (and lib32-nvidia-304xx-utils if you need it).

EDIT: spelling

Then what I have to do is ?
sudo pacman -R nvidia nvidia-utils
sudo pacman -S nvidia-304xx, nvidia-304xx-utils

(about lib32-nvidia I think I don't have it. Packages nvidia related installed are libcl 1.1-3, libvdpau 0.5-1 and of course nvidia 304.64-1 and nvidia-utils 304.64-1. Do you think I need lib32-nvidia?)

Thanks both

Offline

#5 2013-01-22 13:13:05

graysky
Member
From: /run/user/1000
Registered: 2008-12-01
Posts: 8,338
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with kernel 3.7 update and nvidia legacy

Guess I didn't read your post carefully... You have a mix of the nvidia and nvidia-394xx packages?  What model video card do you have?


CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Offline

#6 2013-01-22 13:27:14

msthev
Member
Registered: 2012-04-05
Posts: 177

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with kernel 3.7 update and nvidia legacy

ppsalama wrote:

Then what I have to do is ?
sudo pacman -R nvidia nvidia-utils
sudo pacman -S nvidia-304xx, nvidia-304xx-utils

Yes. In fact it should be sufficient to just do

pacman -S nvidia-304xx

as nvidia-304xx conflicts with nvidia (so you'll just be prompted to remove the latter).


By the way, to make things clear, could you post the output of

pacman -Q | grep nvidia

?

Offline

#7 2013-01-22 14:35:48

ppsalama
Member
From: Spain
Registered: 2012-01-29
Posts: 79

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with kernel 3.7 update and nvidia legacy

graysky wrote:

Guess I didn't read your post carefully... You have a mix of the nvidia and nvidia-394xx packages?  What model video card do you have?

msthev wrote:

By the way, to make things clear, could you post the output of

pacman -Q | grep nvidia

?

[ppsalama@PEPE ~]$ sudo pacman -Q | grep nvidia
[sudo] password for ppsalama: 
nvidia 304.64-1
nvidia-utils 304.64-1
[ppsalama@PEPE ~]$ 

Model graphic card Quadro FX 4000 series

Offline

#8 2013-01-22 14:55:56

graysky
Member
From: /run/user/1000
Registered: 2008-12-01
Posts: 8,338
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with kernel 3.7 update and nvidia legacy

ppsalama wrote:

Model graphic card Quadro FX 4000 series

OK... you defiantly do not want the nvidia package set: you want the nvidia-304xx package set.  I believe the two should conflict w/ each other... do this:

sudo pacman -Rs nvidia nvidia-utils
sudo pacman -S nvidia-304xx

Last edited by graysky (2013-01-22 14:56:06)


CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Offline

#9 2013-01-22 15:13:24

ppsalama
Member
From: Spain
Registered: 2012-01-29
Posts: 79

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with kernel 3.7 update and nvidia legacy

graysky wrote:
ppsalama wrote:

Model graphic card Quadro FX 4000 series

OK... you defiantly do not want the nvidia package set: you want the nvidia-304xx package set.  I believe the two should conflict w/ each other... do this:

sudo pacman -Rs nvidia nvidia-utils
sudo pacman -S nvidia-304xx

Thank you... but when I do

sudo pacman -Rs nvidia nvidia-utils

I get (translated)

Error: Failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
Freeglut ::: requires libgl
Glu : requires libgl
Google-talkplugin : requires libgl
Java3D : requires libgl
Libva: requires libgl
Table: requires libgl
Mplayer: requires libgl
Qt: requires libgl
Webkitgtk2 ::: requires libgl
WxGTK ::: requires libgl
Xorg-xdriinfo ::: requires libgl

maybe another option for pacman -R?

Offline

#10 2013-01-22 15:16:53

graysky
Member
From: /run/user/1000
Registered: 2008-12-01
Posts: 8,338
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with kernel 3.7 update and nvidia legacy

Ah, then simply:

sudo pacman -S nvidia-304xx

It should complain of conflicts with the nvidia packages which is fine.  Allow it to remove them and pull down the 304xx versions.  You should be good after that.


CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Offline

#11 2013-01-22 15:36:03

ppsalama
Member
From: Spain
Registered: 2012-01-29
Posts: 79

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with kernel 3.7 update and nvidia legacy

graysky wrote:

Ah, then simply:

sudo pacman -S nvidia-304xx

It should complain of conflicts with the nvidia packages which is fine.  Allow it to remove them and pull down the 304xx versions.  You should be good after that.

everything happens as you said...

Objetivos (5): linux-3.7.3-1  nvidia-304.64-1 [removal]  nvidia-304xx-utils-304.64-2
               nvidia-utils-304.64-1 [removal]  nvidia-304xx-304.64-2

Now I will reboot...

see you later... I hope wink

EDIT:
I've just reboot and everything works fine, and my system is up to date with the last linux kernel. Even I deleted (in pacman.conf) the "ignorepkg" for nvidia because now pacman doesn't display to update to 310 driver (I guess my nvidia updates will keep in legacy branch)

Thank you very very very much for your helps....

I mark this as Solved

Last edited by ppsalama (2013-01-22 16:03:03)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB