You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-24 19:36:23

Unia
Website

[SOLVED] Gparted failed; external HDD borked?

Hey all,

I was reorganizing my family's external harddrive yesterday. I had cleared most of the data, except for some old documents and pictures that belong to my brother. Originally, there was an ext4 partition on there for me and an NTFS partition for the others. I removed the ext4 (which was the first partition) and moved the NTFS one to the left, also extending it to fill the entire disk.

It had been a long day so I just did it, without thinking it could go wrong. Of course, I should have known that if you do something and think "mwah, it'll be alright. I've done it tens of thousands of times and it never failed", it will go wrong.

Halfway through the process, Gparted got an input/output error and just stopped moving the data. I let it wait for half an hour to see if it would continue, but it didn't (the hardware light on the disk itself had stopped blinking, too) so I killed Gparted. Now of course, I would like to restore the data that's still on there. When I plug it in, nothing happens and also Gparted says it's empty. It does show a single NTFS partition filling the entire disk, though.

I ask you here because I don't want to mess around with it, trying different stuff. I know I'll get over a hundred results with Google but I want to know it'll work, or at least has a chance to work. Also I wouldn't really know what to search on, so... You can tell me to RTFM and just post a link, I won't mind, but at least I'm sure it is likely to work.

Last edited by Unia (2013-01-24 21:21:44)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#2 2013-01-24 20:10:56

shulamy

Re: [SOLVED] Gparted failed; external HDD borked?

maybe testdisk can return yuor partitions.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

ezik

#3 2013-01-24 21:21:07

Unia
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Gparted failed; external HDD borked?

Testdisk did the trick! Thanks for informing me of this great little tool, it will be on my system standard now and I won't have to inform my brother his old photos are gone big_smile

Last edited by Unia (2013-01-24 21:21:29)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

Board footer