You are not logged in.

#26 2013-01-24 19:49:05

bombadill

Re: Installation without internet connection

Thank you for your latest response and some clarity at last.

DSpider wrote:

If you were hoping to somehow magically extract a core install from the install CD, it's just not possible. It doesn't contain Xorg, or a DE/WM or any of that graphical stuff.

This is exactly what I was hoping to do, possibly my initial question should have been more explicit, as follows:

Is it possible to install archlinux without an internet connection and using only the installation CD?

The answer to this question would now seem to be no.

With regard to tomk's postal query, will a stamped addressed envelope be required or is there some philantropic fund for this purpose?

Best regards.

#27 2013-01-25 05:26:58

fschiff

Look at ArchBoot.

#28 2013-01-25 06:49:19

DSpider

bombadill wrote:

... possibly my initial question should have been more explicit, as follows:

Is it possible to install archlinux without an internet connection and using only the installation CD?

Yes, it is possible. You can obtain the packages using the LiveCD on a machine with an internet connection, or at least in a VM (virtual machine) on whatever computer you've used so far to post on this forum.

Once you have the packages, creating a local repository is easy - as per the instuctions from the link in post #9.

Last edited by DSpider (2013-01-25 07:06:09)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#29 2013-01-26 12:04:04

bombadill

Thank you for your response.

I have downloaded archbang and installed it to the hard disk, using only the files from the CD.

It seems to me that this would have been a better option from the start.

I would be interested in any comments on the difference between archlinux and archbang.

Best regards.

#30 2013-01-28 09:29:45

bombadill

"...
Be secret and exult
Because of all ..."

#31 2013-01-28 10:32:51

Lone_Wolf

from archbang FAQ :

(I added the bold tags to emphasize what i think are the biggest differences)

Q. What is the difference between Arch Linux and ArchBang?

A. Arch Linux is an independently-developed i686/x86-64 community distribution, based on a rolling-release model and targeted at competent GNU/Linux users. Arch provides a minimal environment upon installation, (no GUI), compiled for i686/x86-64 architectures. Arch is lightweight, flexible, simple and aims to be very UNIX-like. Its design philosophy and implementation make it easy to extend and mold into whatever kind of system you're building - from a minimalist console machine to the most grandiose and feature rich desktop environments available.

ArchBang is a derivative (spinoff) of ArchLinux using a minimal Arch system and adding the Openbox Window Manager with ArchBang scripts and configuration files. ArchBang is a separate entity to Arch Linux and is in no way affiliated. All Archbang specific questions should be addressed in the ArchBang Forum.

With Arch Linux, there is still a fair amount of post-installation work to be done to build a functional desktop environment once the base Arch system is installed. With ArchBang, the installation includes the base Arch system and Openbox desktop environment and the ArchBang user skips the post installation work to have a functional desktop. This has been a point of contention between Arch and ArchBang.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#32 2013-01-28 14:20:25

bombadill

Thank you for your response and for highlighting your own views on the Archlinux / Archbang differences.

Best regards.

Board footer