You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-13 14:46:10

adeligen

[SOLVED] Battery state/acpi is unknown and not charging on A/C

Since installing Arch on my ThinkPad E430, it has occasionally returned a battery status of "Unknown" and refused to charge. It is now at the point that whenever I'm in Arch, it the AC adaptor is plugged in, it will have this error. If the laptop is turned off, or if I'm in Windows, there is no problem and it will charge as normal.

Last edited by adeligen (2012-11-14 07:46:13)

#2 2012-11-13 15:07:49

Chocapeek

Re: [SOLVED] Battery state/acpi is unknown and not charging on A/C

I have this issue too, however it does charge mine. My laptop is a Compaq CQ50 though.
Personally i've always ignored it due to the old age and poor condition the battery is in.

Charging:

[jg@JG-Laptop ~]$ acpi
Battery 0: Unknown, 94%

Discharging:

[jg@JG-Laptop ~]$ acpi
Battery 0: Discharging, 92%, discharging at zero rate - will never fully discharge.

Is this what you get?

#3 2012-11-13 15:11:37

adeligen

I don't get the "discharging at zero rate" bit.

adeligen ~ $ acpi
Battery 0: Unknown, 98%
adeligen ~ $ acpi
Battery 0: Discharging, 98%, 58:19:17 remaining

#4 2012-11-14 07:44:55

adeligen

Well, I took out a battery widget for awesome wm I had up, and now acpi seems fine? Very odd. Marking this as solved I guess.

#5 2013-01-25 07:02:40

sevenfourk

hi fellas!  wanted to check with you guys.  I got lenovo edge 330, and interesting question regarding acpi showing up battery percentage: after 2 or more days of uptime the percentage goes from 100% -->> 99% and state becames like this: "Battery 0: Unknown, 99%".  I wonder if this is normal or maybe I could have forgot some modules to compile?  Thanks

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.

#6 2013-01-25 15:19:44

adeligen

sevenfourk wrote:

hi fellas!  wanted to check with you guys.  I got lenovo edge 330, and interesting question regarding acpi showing up battery percentage: after 2 or more days of uptime the percentage goes from 100% -->> 99% and state becames like this: "Battery 0: Unknown, 99%".  I wonder if this is normal or maybe I could have forgot some modules to compile?  Thanks

I've gotten to the point on my E430 where every few days it will stop charging while booted into Linux. Solutions I've found are:
1) Turn off the computer. Unplug the charger, wait a few seconds plug it back in. It should be charging now.
2) Turn off the computer, remove the battery, put it back in. This seems to let it charge fine in Linux for a few days.
3) I deleted my Windows partition, but I noticed that booting into Windows and running Lenovo's Power Manager would fix the problem for a while as well.

As it is, it seems to be a software issue with the battery.

Side note, don't know if this would apply to your ThinkPad, but kernel 3.7 broke my brightness functionality. Stick with 3.6 until this gets fixed.

#7 2013-01-25 15:30:53

sevenfourk

@adeligen:

I've gotten to the point on my E430 where every few days it will stop charging while booted into Linux. Solutions I've found are:
1) Turn off the computer. Unplug the charger, wait a few seconds plug it back in. It should be charging now.
2) Turn off the computer, remove the battery, put it back in. This seems to let it charge fine in Linux for a few days.
3) I deleted my Windows partition, but I noticed that booting into Windows and running Lenovo's Power Manager would fix the problem for a while as well.

on my old lenovo v570 it worked something like that, but I think this how: I just unplugged my charger and plugged in back again.   And acpi showed state: "Full,  100%" after booting.

I guess the same situation for me edge 330.

Side note, don't know if this would apply to your ThinkPad, but kernel 3.7 broke my brightness functionality. Stick with 3.6 until this gets fixed.

I do confirm this!  Brightness controls totally acting weirdly/chaotically.

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.

#8 2022-01-26 15:05:11

vicnetto

I know this is an old topic, but as I recently had this problem maybe I can help with this. I'm currently using a Lenovo Y720, and this is probably a Lenovo's problem.

*SOLUTION FOR ME*
For me, i only had to turn on Arch without the A/C plug connected, and then connect it to my laptop when the system is fully booted.

Last edited by vicnetto (2022-01-26 15:05:54)

#9 2022-01-26 15:34:59

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Check /sys/class/power_supply/BAT*/charge_control_start_threshold & /sys/class/power_supply/BAT*/charge_control_end_threshold — the values in those files do exactly as the name suggests and if you want the battery to charge fully they should be set to "99" and "100", respectively.

Yay for necrobumps.

Board footer