You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-22 17:07:10

mynis01

[abandoned]gtk-theme-plastiq+bitmapfont crashes everything[abandoned]

I've had issues over the last 7-10 days where certain apps that were using bitmap fonts would just crash randomly, sometimes even giving me NVRM errors. This was everything from my terminal, to my web browser, to smplayer. I use openbox with nvidia drivers, and I started up a different WM to change the font to something else, and now the problem seems to be cured. Any time I use lxappearance to try and change back to a bitmap font though, the lxappearance window just instantly stops responding with no error message given. Nothing has really changed to my knowledge on my machine recently that should affect this besides upgrading lxappearance to version 0.5.2-1, but I don't see why that would cause problems with other apps that are using bitmap fonts.  Is anyone else experiencing something similar?

Edit: I was looking through pacman.log and noticed there was also an nvidia driver update and a GTK3 update. This could quite possibly have something to do with it as well. The GTK3 update however was 15 days ago and I don't think the problem has been going on that long.

Last edited by mynis01 (2013-01-25 23:10:26)

#2 2013-01-22 20:13:30

altercation
Website

Re: [abandoned]gtk-theme-plastiq+bitmapfont crashes everything[abandoned]

Anecdotal on my part, but I just hit a strange gtk/lxappearance related problem yesterday. Using Terminus, which I've done for at least a year, as my gtk font resulted several gtk app UIs completely crashing (blanked out entire UI, no redraw). Switching off Terminus seemed to solve this. The problem *just* started yesterday. I'm on intel, not nvidia, and no gtk update yesterday. QT update, but I assume that to be unrelated.

Not sure this is the same issue you are hitting but it sounds similar enough to note here.

Ethan Schoonover
Precision Colors - http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized

#3 2013-01-24 23:52:29

mynis01

Bump. So I've tried a few things, like checking permissions, deleting the contents of ~/.cache/fontconfig/ and creating a new user. Once I logged in as a new user, I could use bitmap fonts on any program I wanted without it freezing. It's pretty safe to say that the problem is in a file somewhere in my home directory. So does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Last edited by mynis01 (2013-01-24 23:55:13)

#4 2013-01-25 23:04:11

mynis01

Well, as far as I can tell, this is some kind of problem with the plastiq theme and the way it interracts with gtk-engine-unico/murrine. I had to create a new user and move some files over and just start using a different theme/user to fix it. Something about it corrupted other themes or something on my old user. On my new user, the plastiq theme still causes crashes but all the other ones I had issues with on my old user work fine. It's too bad, I really liked that theme. But I've been using it for over a year now and it's time for some change anyways! Editing the title and marking as abandoned.

Last edited by mynis01 (2013-01-25 23:09:22)

Board footer