You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-26 01:35:07

felixculpa

[Solved] Mkinitcpio "ERROR: file not found..."

I imagine the answer to this problem is SOMEWHERE but I can't find the solution. I ran sudo pacman -Syu and got this error message with mkinitcpio:

ERROR: file not found: '/usr/lib/modprobe.d/usb-load-ehci-first.conf'

I saw this bug but my config file is cut off before the mentioned "line 36," so it doesn't help me.

I suspect it has something to do with the filesystem because not too long ago I had to create a symlink at /etc/mtab because the system wasn't reading the mount points. I also noticed if I try to upgrade filesystem I get this error:

filesystem: /etc/mtab exists in filesystem
filesystem: /var/run exists in filesystem
Errors occured, no packages were upgraded.

I've seen threads concerning the /var/run existing in filesystem problem, but not anything to do with /etc/mtab causing conflicts. Something obviously weird is going on but I can't figure it out... I was almost considering reinstalling the system completely out of desperation but I thought I'd abstain from that action and ask for help first.

Last edited by felixculpa (2013-01-26 03:12:20)

#2 2013-01-26 02:52:07

mcmillan

Re: [Solved] Mkinitcpio "ERROR: file not found..."

I do have that file, as part of the filesystem package as you suspect

Looks like you haven't had filesystem updated in a LONG time or dealt with some old update issues incorrectly. There's these two news posts
https://www.archlinux.org/news/filesyst … -required/
https://www.archlinux.org/news/filesyst … equired-1/

Last edited by mcmillan (2013-01-26 02:53:17)

#3 2013-01-26 03:12:00

felixculpa

Re: [Solved] Mkinitcpio "ERROR: file not found..."

It was really weird. I have been following such steps when upgrading, but at some point I obviously did something that messed up the system.

I followed the steps you provided on the latter link.

pacman -Syu --ignore filesystem && rm -rf /var/run /var/lock &&  pacman -S filesystem

and then ran

sudo mkinitcpio -p linux

and it ran correctly this time. I was really worried about this, I was too scared to even reboot the system, so thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Board footer