You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-27 09:14:03

MikeDacre
Website

[SOLVED]Intel Audio C600 / Realtek ALC892 Alsa does not work

Hi All,

I just got a new Asus Sabertooth X79, which is a really nice board, but apparently it has essentially no linux support beyond the basics.  I am trying to get Alsa audio working and having trouble.  OSS works fine, but I can't use it with either Chrome or Firefox so it is pretty useless.

In trying to get Alsa working, I did the following:

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec* | grep Codec

:

Codec: Realtek ALC892
lspci | egrep -i audio

:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 06)
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Turks/Whistler HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6000 Series]

Based on this, I tried to blacklist the snd_intel kernel module:

/etc/modprobe.d/snd_blacklist.conf:
blacklist snd_intel8x0m

After that I tried to install alsa-driver.hda-intel.hda-codec-realtek-git from the AUR, it fails with the following message:
checking for kernel linux/version.h ... no
The file /home/dacre/Downloads/linux-ck/src/linux-3.7/include/INCLUDE_VERSION_H does not exist.
Please install the package with full kernel sources for your distribution
or use

--with-kernel=dir

option to specify another directory with kernel
sources (default is /lib/modules/3.7.4-1-ck/source)

I get the same this for the regular kernel, and the ck version.  I have tried downloading the source directly with:

yaourt -G linux-ck
makepkg -o

That doesn't help.  Pointing it to any of the pre-installed kernel sources doesn't work either.  I am not sure what to do.... I am pretty sure I have all the right kernel sources, but it isn't finding version.h, and so I still have no sound.

Any help would be great.

-Mike

Last edited by MikeDacre (2013-04-01 23:37:42)

#2 2013-01-27 09:29:15

mich41

Re: [SOLVED]Intel Audio C600 / Realtek ALC892 Alsa does not work

OSS emulation works fine. And if it works, the ALSA driver must be working as well.

Install alsa-utils and run aplay -l, maybe you have more sound outputs (e.g. HDMI) and your applications are trying to use a wrong one. Run alsamixer and play with the controls. Try aplay /dev/urandom -fcd -Dhw:0 (change hw:0 to hw:1 etc. if you have more soundcards), this should play some white noise.

Maybe you have pulse audio installed?

#3 2013-01-27 10:19:23

MikeDacre
Website

Ok, I feel stupid now.  I have tried for days and days to get this working and had no luck.  After I followed your suggestions it just worked.  Well, everything but google-chrome.  When I switched to Chromium, then it all worked, but now my extensions aren't syncing.  Annoying.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the kernel sources issue though?  That is actually a more important problem than sound.

Thanks!

#4 2013-01-28 08:26:35

MikeDacre
Website

It turns out the actual problem with the audio was with pulseaudio not being set up correctly.  However, I am still confused by that kernel source issue and would love to get anyone's advice on that.

#5 2013-04-01 23:46:57

MikeDacre
Website

Just a follow up to this for anyone with the same issue.  I ended up installing alsa, alsa-oss, and pulseaudio-alsa, and then configuring them with an Alsa Mixer (in this case xfce4-mixer, but there are others) and Pulseaudio Volume Control (pavucontrol).  In Pulseaudio Volume Control, I disabled 'HD-Audio Generic', as it is for the HDMI output of my graphics card, and set 'Built-in Audio' to 'Analog Stereo Output'.  I then unmuted the sound both in this application and in the Alsa Mixer application.  After a system restart, sound seems to work fine everywhere.

Note: I am only using headphones on this machine, I haven't tested the other outputs, but I assume they work fine.

Board footer