You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-27 15:40:46

epinephrine

[yaourt] Keep sources/build files only for specific AUR packages

Hi,

By default, packages are build in BUILDDIR=/tmp/makepkg, which itself usually is a virtual dir in RAM. I generally like this behaviour, so I don't wanna change the BUILDDIR variable to point to a dir on the harddisk, but for a few packages I'd welcome the sources/build dir to be kept, e.g. for *-git packages to reduce build time on consecutive updates. Is there a neat Arch-way to tell the makepkg system to use a different dir (i.e., one on the harddisk) for specific packages? It'd be even greater to be able to use wildcards as well, so I could just enable this option for all *-git packages.

And as I said, I generally like the idea of building in RAM so the trick to just let BUILDDIR point to a dir on my hdd and put a command in some shutdown-script to delete all but the directories ending in -git wouldn't be perfect wink

Cheers

Last edited by epinephrine (2013-01-27 16:25:17)

#2 2013-01-27 15:48:28

Meyithi
Website

Re: [yaourt] Keep sources/build files only for specific AUR packages

https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit … ges/pacman

BUILDDIR isn't /tmp/makepkg by default, you must have enabled it.

And why keep sources of git packages?  By their nature the sources change frequently, why not just use the stable release?

The mind roams more freely in empty rooms.
dwm - colours - ncmpcpp - system
irc://irc.freenode.net:meyithi

#3 2013-01-27 16:11:42

epinephrine

Oh you're right in that BUILDDIR isn't set by default. I use yaourt for building AUR packages, so this is a yaourt related question, oops. I'll ask in the appropriate forum...

Some packages are only available as git packages, and that for a good reason. Some git repository maintainers follow the good working principle to always have their master branch stable and deployable and do development and testing in respective branches to keep master clean. E.g. I maintain 2 git packages on the AUR, and there are no other "stable" options, also as git makes sense for these packages.
And sometimes you just need a more up2date version wink

#4 2013-01-27 16:11:58

tdy

Meyithi wrote:

And why keep sources of git packages?  By their nature the sources change frequently, why not just use the stable release?

Probably so he doesn't have to do a complete checkout each time, like how the prototype git PKGBUILD works.

But yea as you said, BUILDDIR is commented by default.

#5 2013-01-27 16:13:22

epinephrine

tdy wrote:

Probably so he doesn't have to do a complete checkout each time, like how the prototype git PKGBUILD works.

+1

#6 2013-01-27 16:43:48

teekay

Check DEVELBUILDDIR in /etc/yaourtrc (and create the dir for it). That will keep -git/-svn/-bzr etc packages in there.

#7 2013-01-27 16:46:26

epinephrine

teekay wrote:

Check DEVELBUILDDIR in /etc/yaourtrc (and create the dir for it). That will keep -git/-svn/-bzr etc packages in there.

nice one! didn't see this option... it is not as versatile as what I was thinking about, but does a fairly good job, thanks!

Board footer