You are not logged in.

#1051 2013-01-15 17:36:57

mpnordland

Re: luakit browser framework (almost with jQuery!)

Thanks Trilby, that was it! Now I have blazing fast web access!

#1052 2013-01-26 19:58:23

bgc1954

Trying out luakit and liking it very much so far.  My only issue is font size with different sites.  The only thing I found in my searching was post #801 to about #808 in this thread and like him/her am finding some sites have proper font size but others, like arch, have very tiny fonts--in my case gmail also has small fonts.  In midori there is a setting in preferences for minimum font size so I don't have this problem with arch on midori so it seems possible in a webkit browser.  Any suggestions out there?

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#1053 2013-01-26 20:39:37

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

There are +/- default bindings for adjusting the text "zoom" which is an easy workaround, though it has to be continually redone.  You could also use user stylesheets to set a default font size, e.g.

* { font.size: 14pt };

then set this style sheet in globals.lua under domain_propts.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#1054 2013-01-26 21:06:32

bgc1954

Trilby wrote:

There are +/- default bindings for adjusting the text "zoom" which is an easy workaround, though it has to be continually redone.  You could also use user stylesheets to set a default font size, e.g.

* { font.size: 14pt };

then set this style sheet in globals.lua under domain_propts.

Thx Trilby, the +/- keybindings work well--hadn't seen that so far in my short usage of luakit.  Your other suggestion is basically the same as in post #801 on this thread and it doesn't seem to work here.  Some sites are fine but others--like arch--still have small fonts so using the + keybinding works well enough.  I'm thinking some addition to the code would be required to set a minimum font for all sites like midori does.  The global.lua settings and a custom.css isn't enough it seems.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#1055 2013-01-26 22:30:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I just tested it here, and it didn't work at first.  Two things I had to do (perhaps only the second is needed):
1) use the !important css keyword (and don't do font-dot-size like I first did - hey I don't css much):
* { font-size: 14pt !important; }
2) set the user_stylesheet_uri with the "file://" prefix:
file:///home/username/.config/luakit/my.css

This had it working everywhere, including these forums after restarting luakit. I started with 28pt to make sure I didn't miss a subtle effect ... there was no missing that.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#1056 2013-01-27 12:43:28

bratmaxe

You can also add a line like this to your "all" section in the domain_props:

minimum_font_size       = "10",

#1057 2013-01-27 18:39:58

bgc1954

This is getting a little frustrating.  I've tried both Trilby and bratmaxe's suggestions and they are not working for me here.  I've tried a fresh start and removed my ~/.config/luakit directory and recopied /etc/xdg/luakit to ~/.config to no avail.  Obviously something on my end is not setup right if both Trilby and bratmaxe have success on their end.  I am using the luakit from community if that has any bearing.  +/- are working fine, though, so for all the effort it takes to hit those keys I'm alright with it, but I just like to get things working properly when I can.

Edit:  Where does luakit get its website font setting from in the first place?  It seems to be using dejavu sans like my firefox and midori browsers use.  Sounds like a newbie question, right?  My theme.lua is using terminus and I can change that no problem.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2013-01-27 18:43:51)

#1058 2013-01-27 19:00:31

bratmaxe

Did you "uncomment" the domain_props section? It is commented out by default, so you have to remove the first --[[ and the last ]] to activate it initially.

Edit: The fonts are selected by webkit, but you can overwrite these in the domain_props, too. All webkit settings are documented here: http://webkitgtk.org/reference/webkitgt … tings.html. Just beware that you have to replace the - with _ if you use these in the domain_props section.

Last edited by bratmaxe (2013-01-27 19:11:22)

#1059 2013-01-27 19:17:08

bgc1954

thx bratmaxe, I knew it would be something stupid on my part but the comments in lua are something I've not encountered before--I noticed them but didn't really *see* them.  It seems every computer language uses different notations--oh well, lesson learned.  I'll look into your link also.  I see it's also referenced in the global.lua file--if I had been really looking.  The minimum_font_size works well and is a little simpler than a custom.css but that works now also.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2013-01-27 19:30:01)

#1060 2013-01-27 20:19:28

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Sounds like you need a good syntax-highlighting text editor, so commented blocks are more obviously commented.

#1061 2013-01-27 21:18:29

bgc1954

@Trilby - thx for the suggestion--opened a whole new world for research.  I thought I was going to be stuck with using vim again--which I can use but am not profficient with--but found some lua.nanorc suggestions that work well.  Never thought I had a need for syntax highlighting but maybe I do. tongue
Quite liking luakit--can kinda see why it is your default web browser in ttwm.

#1062 2013-01-28 21:07:14

OK100

Does anyone get supergenpass bookmarklet work in luakit? I found this: https://github.com/mason-larobina/luakit/pull/23 but it don't work with current luakit version.

#1063 2013-02-12 02:23:35

richli

What's a good way to download links? I've searched :help and the docs, but the best I can find is to use

:download

and then paste in the link, which I could get from ex-follow using

;y

. It seems it would be easier to have an ex-follow mode to download links. (From what I can tell, this is what vimprobable does.)

From the cheatsheet, it mentions an "s" keybinding to download links, but that doesn't seem to exist. I tried both the versions of luakit from community (2012.09.13.r1-5) as well as luakit-git.

#1064 2013-02-13 16:30:40

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I just struggled for a long while wondering why everything on github looked so horrible (fonts mainly).  I started tinkering with my font configuration, tried various infinality packages/presets, and nothing made text on github.com look acceptable.

Oddly, this problem was only on my netbook while my desktop with the same settings looked fine.  Then I relized I had luakit-git on the netbook.  I replaced it with luakit from the repos and github looks great again.

I have no idea how to investigate further, and find this quite odd, but FWIW some difference in luakit-git from community/luakit seemed to "break" github.com rendering for me.

#1065 2013-02-18 10:15:05

webspider

I had the same issue with dwb and looked through the css stylesheets of affected websites to discover that they all had "Clean" as a font family. Seems like it's bound to a bitmap font by default that looks horrible at higher sizes, so I blacklisted it in my fontconfig (~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
  <selectfont>
    <rejectfont>
      <pattern>
        <patelt name="family">
          <string>Clean</string>
        </patelt>
      </pattern>
    </rejectfont>
  </selectfont>
</fontconfig>

#1066 2013-02-18 17:28:52

bgc1954

@webspider:

Thanks a bunch.  This solved a problem I was having on sites, expecially expedia.ca, where some of the fonts looked horrible.  I tried your fonts.conf file and, voila, ugly fonts gone.

#1067 2013-03-03 02:15:56

mahatman2
Website

(relative) newb here -- I've incorporated the mailto: and magnet: hooks (located on the luakit wiki) in my rc.lua, at the end of the file. I was wondering the best way to get luakit to navigate to a webpage after the luakit.spawn action in each of those. For example, after passing a magnet link to transmission-remote, it would be really cool if I could automatically navigate to the transmission-web interface. Right now it just says "Luakit could not display this link."

I've tried

w:navigate('http://localhost:9091/transmission/web')

and it doesn't seem to work. Am I doing this right?

Clever Linux quote.

#1068 2013-03-10 16:48:27

sdev

I just started using this browser and so far its pretty good. I'm having trouble using the formfiller plugin though. It it possible for formfiller to create seperate 'profiles'/templates of forms varying from different sites to different forms on a site and have each profile/template in seperate files?

#1069 2013-03-13 17:17:51

dghate

Newbie question,

I just moved to luakit version 2012.09.13-r1-32-g993d814 . I like the character (asdfjklmnioq) hints instead of the default numeric (0123456789) links.
I tried to follow advice from https://github.com/mason-larobina/luaki … wing-hints, but the file lib/follow.lua doesn't seem
to have either reload_hints or update_hints funtions. In fact, "grep reload_hints *.lua" does not return anything for the entire luakit code.

I am sure that I am making some rookie mistake here. But cannot figure it out. Any help will be most appreciated.

#1070 2013-03-14 13:01:22

bootleg

You don't need to change functions anymore, just check in rc.lua after the 'require "follow"' there should be a comment telling you how to change the character set.

#1071 2013-03-14 17:08:32

dghate

@bootleg Thank you. Worked fine. Also, from a previous post in this
thread, I added following code to my theme.lua file for configuring the
appearance of the hints in the browser. This works on the older
luakit version (2012-03) but doesn't seem to do anything in (2012-09).

--theme.lua as saved in my .config/luakit/

theme.follow = {}
theme.follow.border = "0px dotted #ffffff";
theme.follow.frame_border = "0px solid #ffffff";
theme.follow.tick_frame_bg = "#ffffff";
theme.follow.tick_fg = "#840000";
theme.follow.tick_bg = "#ffffff";
theme.follow.tick_border = "1px solid #000000";
theme.follow.tick_opacity = 1;
theme.follow.tick_font = "13px terminus";

Other theme modifications in the same file work. For e.g. increasing the
font size of the status bar etc.

Last edited by dghate (2013-03-14 17:10:09)

#1072 2013-03-23 00:39:28

arkindal

Hello everyone, I've been trying for a couple of days to switch from chromium to luakit as my default browser, the only thing holding me back are a bunch of chrome extensions I have. I can give up to some of them but I have dowloaded replacements for other ones as java scripts.
Now, I know it's possible to use those on luakit but I can't figure out how, I tried to read the wiki, well actually I didn't just try, I did read the wiki tongue but I just don't get what I have to do.
https://github.com/mason-larobina/luaki … serscripts
Here for example, it sayd a path, I don't know what that path is tho, I thought I'd just change it to the path I placed my scripts to but I can't find the path in the rc.lua.
I know I'm failing badly at this but could you guys help me out?
Thanks in advance smile

#1073 2013-03-24 07:55:58

dghate

When I install usercripts from usercripts.org, then I just open the userscript in luakit and issue userscriptinstall command in the command mode.
OR
If you download a script, then you can copy the userscript.js file manually to ~/.local/share/luakit/scripts/
Either way the script will be loaded when it is required.
You can also see the list of all the userscripts that are installed using :userscripts in the command mode.

But please remember that not all scripts downloaded from the userscripts.org work for luakit. I had to go through many scripts before I found a usable one for my
wikipedia reading mode.

#1074 2013-03-24 08:35:11

arkindal

I hope the adblocking one and the reddit ones I need works :-\
I know there is a luakit adblock widget thingy but I failed at installing it.
I'm such a noob sad

#1075 2013-04-02 02:31:51

fawkes5

How do i run my own scripts with Luakit?

Do i have to embed them in some Lua script before Luakit can handle them?

Also, i've been trying to get the included formfiller script to work. Could someone who has please post an example of
a completed form. For example a configuration for automatically filling out the arch forums login boxes.

Thanks!!

Board footer