You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-27 19:23:50

beermad

mount point /mnt/dev/shm is a symbolic link to nowhere

I'm attempting to build an Arch installation from within my existing Ubuntu 12.04.1 system, following the instructions at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … ting_Linux  using method 2 (chroot into livecd image).

I've double-checked that I'm following each step, but the error I'm hitting suggests to me that I'm missing something. I wonder if anybody might be able to point me in the right direction, as (unusually) Google has failed me.

Having un-squashed the ISO image:

# mount -o loop /path/to/root-image.fs /arch
# mount -t proc none /arch/proc
# mount -t sysfs none /arch/sys
# mount -o bind /dev /arch/dev
# mount -o bind /dev/pts /arch/dev/pts

# chroot /arch bash
# mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt    # sdc1 is an empty partition where I intend to insall Arch

# pacman-key --init
# pacman-key --populate archlinux

# pacstrap /mnt base base-devel
==> Creating install root at /mnt
mount: mount point /mnt/dev/shm is a symbolic link to nowhere
==> ERROR: failed to setup API filesystems in new root

Pacstrap has created /mnt/dev (amongst other top-level directories under /mnt, but as it hasn't created anything UNDER /mnt/dev, it's not surprising it doesn't like /mnt/dev/shm.

Evidently I'm doing something stupid (and consistently, as I've tried several times)

any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

#2 2013-01-28 21:45:44

ketans

Re: mount point /mnt/dev/shm is a symbolic link to nowhere

I am doing exactly the same thing on Ubuntu 12.10 and having exactly the same error.

#3 2013-01-28 21:52:48

beermad

So the guess must be that it's either something peculiar in the way Ubuntu has things set up (Not unknown) or an error in either the instructions or the script.

I wonder if we ought to be symlinking /dev/shm to /mnt/dev/shm? I'll give that a try tomorrow and report back.

#4 2013-01-29 01:55:38

verahill
Website

Beermad,
On your (debian based) host system /dev/shm points to /run/shm, but that directory doesn't exist in your chroot.

mkdir /run/shm

and you'll be fine.

PS. Another thing you might need to do is to copy the /etc/resolv.conf of your host system to get DNS resolution so that you can download packages. Don't think that's mentioned in the guide either.

Last edited by verahill (2013-01-29 04:21:04)

#5 2013-01-29 11:51:52

beermad

That solved it. Thanks verahill.

#6 2013-03-07 10:51:18

jmarcf

verahill wrote:

Beermad,
On your (debian based) host system /dev/shm points to /run/shm, but that directory doesn't exist in your chroot.

mkdir /run/shm

and you'll be fine.

PS. Another thing you might need to do is to copy the /etc/resolv.conf of your host system to get DNS resolution so that you can download packages. Don't think that's mentioned in the guide either.

Thanks your a life safer this was my last attempt to install Linux on my new laptop (no distro picks up my wireless or wired without manually compiling the drivers). So I would buy you a drink :-) but that might not be possible so cheers for this.

Last edited by jmarcf (2013-03-07 10:51:56)

Board footer