You are not logged in.

#51 2012-09-18 11:53:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Slider: PDF presentations

Ah yes, those should both be easy fixes.  I've thought about making overview mode show up on the presenter mode window - this would take a little more work, but getting the newly selected slide to show up right away should be fixed today.

Also the segfault when slipper is not passed any options is just a lack of error checking.  Slipper should not run without any parameters, so even when completely finished this would just exit with an error.

I am curious about the problem when used on a single monitor.  Was this with slider or slipper?  Slipper isn't meant to run on a single monitor.  It would serve no purpose.  Slider however should run just fine on a single monitor.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#52 2012-09-18 12:18:56

skanky

Only one issues with running it on a single monitor - apart from the two mentioned above . Works well enough, but (and I use spectrwm) if the display window is hidden (either on a separate workspace or using monocle mode) then bringing it back results in it being black. This does not occur when I have both windows shown on the same workspace. I realised that it wasn't meant for that set-up but as my second monitor is being used on another machine with work stuff at the moment, I couldn't hook it up yet. However  just wanted to see how it all works together so tried it.

The second issue above, with it not updating, is that if you go to overview mode and select a slide, the presenter mode window still shows the old slide. If you redraw the slide, or use an arrow key, etc. then the presenter mode updates and is back in sync. Neither issue is likely to be a problem in a presentation (selecting a slide and hitting r is the workaround for the out of sync issue).

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#53 2012-09-18 15:01:15

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

skanky wrote:

bringing it back results in it being black.

Yup, I am aware of this condition, and I'd put it in the "will not fix" category.  It would be pretty easy to fix, but adding lines of code to cope with a completely artificial situation that should not arise under intended use would seem wasteful.

I will work to make sure it is robust enough to not crash in such sitations (eg starting slipper without providing a data file should exit cleanly).  So if someone can say "I used this program in an entirely unintended way and it crashed" I'd want to make sure it exited cleanly instead.  But if it is rater a "I used this program in an unintended way and it behaved in an undesired way" ... well ... that's a bit like the guy who goes to the doctor claiming "it hurts whenever I do *this*".  Then don't do *this* wink

skanky wrote:

The second issue above, with it not updating, is that if you go to overview mode...

I think I not only have a solution for this, but I have redone how slipper (presenter window) reacts to overview mode.  The "current slide" preview pane will show the overview that is on the slider (presentation) screen while the "preview slide" will show the slide currently selected in the overview.

I need to test this on an external display later today to make sure it actually behaves as I think it should, then I'll push this fix/update to git.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#54 2012-09-18 15:12:01

skanky

Trilby wrote:
skanky wrote:

bringing it back results in it being black.

Yup, I am aware of this condition, and I'd put it in the "will not fix" category.  It would be pretty easy to fix, but adding lines of code to cope with a completely artificial situation that should not arise under intended use would seem wasteful.

Makes sense, and I only mentioned it for completeness.

Trilby wrote:

I will work to make sure it is robust enough to not crash in such sitations (eg starting slipper without providing a data file should exit cleanly).  So if someone can say "I used this program in an entirely unintended way and it crashed" I'd want to make sure it exited cleanly instead.  But if it is rater a "I used this program in an unintended way and it behaved in an undesired way" ... well ... that's a bit like the guy who goes to the doctor claiming "it hurts whenever I do *this*".  Then don't do *this* wink

skanky wrote:

The second issue above, with it not updating, is that if you go to overview mode...

I think I not only have a solution for this, but I have redone how slipper (presenter window) reacts to overview mode.  The "current slide" preview pane will show the overview that is on the slider (presentation) screen while the "preview slide" will show the slide currently selected in the overview.

I need to test this on an external display later today to make sure it actually behaves as I think it should, then I'll push this fix/update to git.

Nice one, thanks.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#55 2012-09-18 23:35:50

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

The overview mode changes have been pushed.  I also found that the zoom function (rarely used here) is all *&^ed up.  But I pinpointed the problem, so the fix should be coming soon.

#56 2012-11-05 20:43:53

maattd
Website

Hi,

I have a segfault with a beamer PDF presentation. I can provide a gdb bump or the pdf file if you want smile
Thanks for this software (a perfect example of suckless spirit)

#57 2012-11-05 21:30:27

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Good timing.  I just starting working on Slider again[1]

I'm not sure what would lead you your segfault, however.  If you could send me the pdf at the email link in my forum account I'll definitely look into it.  A gdb dump would certainly be welcome if you have it already.

1:  I know there are resolution/screen-size issues with Slipper+Slider used with an external projector, this is the issue I just started working on.

#58 2012-11-06 13:31:55

qiuwei

got segmentation fault. I can't even debug it because it makes the whole screen black.

Last edited by qiuwei (2012-11-06 13:32:07)

#59 2012-11-06 20:17:24

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Whoa.  Yup, definitely something wrong.  It's segfaulting on any pdf.

I have pdfs that used to work that slider now crashes on and there have been no changes to slider.  There have been updates to poppler and cairo in the intervening time, however.  I'll need to look into these updates to see what has changed.

Sorry for the troubles.

EDIT: A workaround for the segfault is up on github now.  Details and further discussion can be taken to this thread as the problem itself has really piqued my curiosity.

Edit: Matt, I tried replying to your email, but the address you provided came back as unreachable.

EDIT (12 Nov 2012), I just realized the same cairo issue popped up with slipper.  Both slipper and slider should now be working properly with the bonus that an old bug in slipper is fixed so it now sets the right resolution/size for external projectors ... in other words it should actually work now, where previously it was a total (*&@up.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-11-12 21:35:21)

#60 2013-01-29 07:22:32

nojan

I get a error when starting slipper with just a PDF file:

X Error of failed request:  BadName (named color or font does not exist)
  Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
  Serial number of failed request:  19
  Current serial number in output stream:  27

The PDF in question:

Creator:        LaTeX with Beamer class version 3.24
Producer:       pdfTeX-1.40.13
CreationDate:   Sun Jan 20 17:56:23 2013
ModDate:        Sun Jan 20 17:56:23 2013
Tagged:         no
Form:           none
Pages:          27
Encrypted:      no
Page size:      362.835 x 272.126 pts
Page rot:       0
File size:      99212 bytes
Optimized:      no
PDF version:    1.5

#61 2013-01-29 11:56:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Two issues: one, I put terminus as a default font if none was specified, but I don't think I listed it as a dependency.  This would lead to such an error if you didn't have terminus and you didn't select a font; two, slipper could not be started with a pdf file.  While the man pages are horribly lacking, there is a commented slipper.dat file which can serve as a template.

Slider can take just a pdf as an argument, but slipper needs a dat file.  It should actually exit with an error saying that it was not provided a propper data file.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-01-29 11:57:16)

#62 2013-01-30 20:20:53

nojan

Thank you very much, installing terminus solved the problem smile

#63 2013-02-01 12:28:12

flying sheep

hi, i filed two issues (hope that’s a acceptable method of communication: i’d certainly prefer that for bug tracking)

they are about unexpected key bindings and a drawing bug.

furthermore, i’d love it to have a simple crossfade transition: about the only thing i’m missing from a PDF reader’s presentation mode.

nice work, btw. but as it is, right now i rather use impressive big_smile

#64 2013-02-01 13:21:58

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

flying sheep, sorry if this is a really ignorant question ... but where did you file the issues? (edit: found them on github - 13Feb)

I'll reconsider transitions if I find a simple way of doing them (simple = no extra libs).  "Swipe" or sliding transitions would be easy enough, but frankly I find them obnoxious and don't think they have a place in presentations.  I do like a brief crossfade myself, but this isn't as simple to implement.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-02-13 11:54:36)

#65 2013-02-05 19:10:35

richli

Thanks, this is awesome! I have one request:

When you zoom, is there a way to force the zoom rectangle to have a certain aspect ratio? Like a shift-z would zoom, but force it to be the same aspect ratio of the screen. Otherwise, the zooming could get distorted if the zoom rectangle isn't close enough to the screen aspect ratio.

#66 2013-02-05 22:57:50

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Currently the aspect ratio is controlled by whatever rectangle you select.  Locking the aspect ratio of the resulting zoom would be pretty easy.  I'll implement that over the next few days and post back when it is up on git.

EDIT: Done.  Please test.  With the default bindings Shift+Z will zoom but with a "locked" aspect ratio.  You can still draw your rectangle any size you wish, but slider will zoom as much as possible while keeping the selection in view while holding the aspect ratio constant.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-02-06 00:29:43)

#67 2013-02-07 00:14:02

richli

Hey, works great! Maybe if the yellow rectangle were also constrained in aspect ratio as you draw it, that would be a helpful indication that the ratio-preserving zoom is active.

#68 2013-02-07 02:16:23

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

That would take a good bit more work - I'll keep it on the list of possibilities, but unless something changes the balance of costs/benefits to it, that is probably not likely.

#69 2013-02-10 23:19:41

tulku

Hi! Thank you very much for this application.

Slider is great and I've been using it for a while now. However, I'm more interested in Slipper, which couldn't try much yet. Reading the README and example .dat file, I realized that the lecturer notes have to be written in the .dat file. Could we have a "notes" pdf, like the one generated by beamer for example, rendered in the space left for the notes? I like to see the next slide, and the time, but being able to use the notes directly from beamer would be a great plus.

As far as I know, their is no PDF (for linux at least) viewer that can use beamer notes during the presentations, it would definitely be a great feature to have. Thank you again!

#70 2013-02-10 23:43:23

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

That's a great idea.  It should be possible, but it will take a bit of work.

I use latex beamer for my presentations, but I haven't yet tinkered with the notes pdfs.  If you could send me two pdfs, one with a normal beamer presentation, and another with the notes generated from that presentation, that would save me a little time in creating them myself, then I'll look into this.

These can be emailed to the "email" link under my username.

Also, while I am really on board with this idea, I have just put up a bug ridden release of my window manager, so that will have most of my free coding time at least for the next few weeks.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-02-10 23:44:35)

#71 2013-02-11 09:11:36

tulku

I'm glad you like the idea. I will send you a pair of beamer pdfs. Their are a couple of ways of doing this, having the notes and sildes in the same pdf or making two different pdfs. I'll send you an example of each so you choose the way you like the most.

Thank you again!

#72 2013-02-13 08:33:08

tulku

Hi!

A have detected some rendering issues in Slider. I understand that you prefer to report bugs here rather than in GitHub.
The pdf that I'm sending you by mail was made with Beamer. It has 3 slides, each with different versions of the same figure. The first two are PNGs, one with transparent background and one with white background. The last one is a JPG with white background.

If you open the pdf with Okular or Evince, you don't see any border around the images, but in Slider, expect for the first case, it shows a thin border around the image that should be there.

Also, for some reason the slides title disappear in Slider smile The title thing only happened with this toy demo.

Thanks again!

#73 2013-02-13 11:27:58

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Actually github's bug tracker seems great.  I just learned about it from your last post, though - I had never seen it before (github noob).

This did let me find flying sheep's requests too.

#74 2013-02-15 20:49:41

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

tulku,

I've been trying slider out on that pdf to see the image border issue, but I haven't been able to replicate it - all three frames/pages look the same here.

Just to make sure, does that pdf just have three pages each with an adobe-icon image on it?

Also, I've been making progress on a new slipper version.  The plan is to have a layout as follows:

+-----------+---+
|    1      | 2 |
|           |   |
|           +---+
|           | 3 |
|           |   |
|           +---+
|           | 4 |
|           |   |
+---+---+---+---+
| 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |
|   |   |   |   |
+---+---+---+---+

1: current notes page: large
2: previous slide
3: current slide
4: next slide
5: previous notes
6: current notes: small
7: next notes
8: time/progress indicators

This will be a little slow-going as I don't have an external monitor to test it on at home - only at the office ... where I need to spend most of my time doing real work.  So I only really get one iteration of testing (at best) each day.  But I will post here with updates.

#75 2013-02-18 16:10:13

tulku

Hi!

Great to hear about the work on the presentation view! Do you think that 5, 6 and 7 are needed? I was thinking that those panels would end up being too small to be readable. I thank that it could probably be better to just have 1, 3, 4 and 8 in the screen. (that is current notes, current slide, next slide and time information).

Regarding the lines, yes, the PDF has three pdf icons, in different pages. I will try it in different computers to see where it happens.

Thank you again!

Board footer