You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-29 17:15:16

Cr3D3

BOINC-ArchWiki needs updated due to obsolete /etc/rc.conf

With /etc/rc.conf now being replaced with systemd this Wiki page should be updated.

cr3d3

#2 2013-01-29 17:38:59

Stebalien
Website

Re: BOINC-ArchWiki needs updated due to obsolete /etc/rc.conf

Fixed.
-- edit:
Actually, can you check if this is still a problem: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BO … leshooting?

Last edited by Stebalien (2013-01-29 17:57:12)

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

#3 2013-01-29 19:01:52

karol
Archivist

It's a wiki, register an account there and edit it :-)

#4 2013-01-29 21:30:54

Cr3D3

karol wrote:

It's a wiki, register an account there and edit it :-)

No thank you karol, I dont like to edit Wiki's as I may not install programs and get them working in the prefered way.
As far as the BOINC-ArchWiki goes, this is what I did to get it to work on my Arch Gnome system;\

Open a teminal su to root;
# pacman -Syu
# pacman -S boinc
# systemctl enable boinc.service
# systemctl start boinc.service
# exit
$ ln -s /var/lib/boinc/gui_rpc_auth.cfg gui_rpc_auth.cfg
su back to root;
# chmod 640 gui_rpc_auth.cfg
# systemctl stop boinc.service
# nano /etc/group
Scroll down to the bottom and place your user name after the Boinc group, mine looks lioke this ->  boinc:x:1000:cr3d3    Then Ctrl+x then y then [Enter Key] to save and exit.
# nano /var/lib/boinc/gui_rpc_auth.cfg
Replace that number string password with something you will remember when you login to boinc to start it.
# systemctl start boinc.service
# exit
$ boincmgr
You will get the login to host popup, remember your host name is not your user name, if you are not sure what your host name is open a terminal, mine shows -> [cr3d3@cr3d3-arch ~]$ so it's [username@hostname] ->cr3d3-arch
Enter that password we put in a little bit ago and you are off and running.

I am putting this in easy to follow steps because I have many friends and family that I have installed Arch systems on thier computers and as far as installing apps and programs that don't auto install with the pacman installer, the Wiki's should be easy to follow.

Last edited by Cr3D3 (2013-01-30 15:22:55)

cr3d3

#5 2013-01-29 22:47:52

chris_l

Cr3D3 wrote:

No thank you karol, I dont like to edit Wiki's as I may not install programs and get them working in the prefered way.

If you don't put it on the prefered way, someone will edit it and it will end in the prefered way eventually. Still, an useful contribution to the wiki, without the correct style, is more valuable than no contribution. (But I'm not going to lie: I would like that more people took some time to read "Help:Style")

Cr3D3 wrote:

I am putting this in easy to follow steps because I have many friends and family that I have installed Arch systems on thier computers and as far as installing apps and programs that don't auto install with the pacman installer, the Wiki's should be easy to follow.

The wiki is easy to follow, what is hard about it?

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#6 2013-01-29 23:06:10

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

@OP - Off topic and completely out of curiosity: are you a US native and if so, what part of the country you're from?  My question is totally innocent and NOT intended to cause offensive.  I have been hearing more and more people form sentences as you have your topic, "BOINC-ArchWiki needs updated due to obsolete /etc/rc.conf" and I'm trying to correlate it to SOMETHING.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#7 2013-01-29 23:24:23

Cr3D3

The wiki is easy to follow, what is hard about it?

It has been change twice today so far from the time I started this post until you made your comment.

cr3d3

Board footer