You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-30 23:50:02

dffx

fglrx + xrandr extended desktop + ATI 7970m = jitteryness

For lack of a better term I get jitteryness whenever I extend my laptop's desktop to an external monitor using Xrandr, when using Catalyst/fglrx. It behaves a little differently depending on whether or not I'm using 3d rendering. For instance:

* In gnome and compiz, when I extend my desktop to an external monitor it gets jittery and flickery whenever I pretty much do anything (if it's just sitting there doing nothing its fine). if I move a window or open a menu, the jitter starts

* In a non-3d environment such as Openbox or xfce4, there's no jitter but there's a lot of artifacting around buttons or any element on the screen that moves around

This *only* happens when I use xrandr to extend the desktop. If I clone it, or use a single monitor, it works flawlessly.

Has anyone run across this? Is this a bug in the AMD drivers, or is there something that can be done to get extended displays working on this?

(PS: It's in a laptop with switchable graphics, AMD+Intel)

#2 2013-02-03 16:38:57

Blasphemist

Re: fglrx + xrandr extended desktop + ATI 7970m = jitteryness

I use 2 monitors with Gnome, Xfce and Openbox (separate installations/partitions on the same machine). I also use xrandr to extend the desktop. I don't have this issue and I don't have switchable graphics either. When using Openbox I use openbox-multihead-git but I did use normal openbox this way as well.

Simple and Open

#3 2013-02-06 02:13:48

dffx

Re: fglrx + xrandr extended desktop + ATI 7970m = jitteryness

Blasphemist wrote:

I use 2 monitors with Gnome, Xfce and Openbox (separate installations/partitions on the same machine). I also use xrandr to extend the desktop. I don't have this issue and I don't have switchable graphics either. When using Openbox I use openbox-multihead-git but I did use normal openbox this way as well.

Might you be able to provide your xorg.conf so I can compare? You're using a 7970m with Enduro?

Board footer