You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-31 17:31:58

darkjh

Update of glibc and filesystem

Hi,

I have not done any update for a while and I noticed the issue of glibc and filesystem now. Right now I got filesystem 2012.6-2 and glibc 2.15-10. When I tried to update them together, it says

filesystem: /lib exists in filesystem

In some related post I found this link: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De … i%3Ausrlib, so I would like to know if the method mentioned in the post is Ok for my situation? I dont want to break my system..

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by darkjh (2013-01-31 17:41:22)

#2 2013-01-31 17:45:12

headkase

Re: Update of glibc and filesystem

There is an even earlier advisory where /lib became a symlink.  You are in for a world of hurt.  Arch is meant to be kept up to date at all times and partial updates are also not supported.  Theoretically you could work through the various advisories since you last did a full update but that is fraught with peril.  Give it a shot, backup important data first, and remember - like when you get to switching over to systemd - that it might just be simpler to reinstall and then keep that installation up-to-date going forward.

#3 2013-01-31 17:46:53

headkase

Here is the relevant advisory you are hung up on:

https://www.archlinux.org/news/the-lib- … a-symlink/

But, with so many other advisories I don't see it going well for you if you follow those instructions.  They were written for the time, not where you are now.

Edit: And a new install will do systemd all nice for you too.  Just see here:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1225185

For the network boog-a-boo to watch out for.  Other than that it's all straightforward.

Last edited by headkase (2013-01-31 17:49:18)

#4 2013-01-31 18:57:07

darkjh

@headkase: Thanks first. I tried to follow the first link but I can't do an update with glibc ignored, many update depend that glibc > 2.17-3...
I think the second link is broken, can you fix it?

#5 2013-01-31 19:08:38

headkase

Here are the contents of the second link:

Also, this step:

systemctl enable dhcpcd@eth0.service

Will not have the correct effect.  There is a combination of factors which keep it from working.  First, systemd now renames network interfaces on boot.  It does this so that network interfaces will have predictable, and never changing, names.  Second, the above command will create a service file that has "eth0" hardwired into it no matter what interface you use when you enable the service.  The combination of these two, a network interface that will never be "eth0" and a service that always specifies "eth0", means that on reboot the user will not have network access.

The solution to this is to do (including executing the original non-working command to create the link to modify in a few steps):

ip link

in a terminal to get your particular networking card name.  For instance, mine is "enp2s0".

Then, go to "/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/" and you will see:

dhcpcd@eth0.service

Rename that to the correct interface name as "ip link" gave you above.  In my case the command is:

sudo mv dhcpcd\@eth0.service dhcpcd\@enp2s0.service

And my machine, with its particular network adapter name, is back in business.

I'm quoting myself with that and if refers to the beginner's guide where you activate the DHCP client for your network interface.  And you won't know your "systemd network adapter name" until you reboot and don't have network access.  There is a new download ISO since these instructions so it may be different now.

Honestly, if I was in your situation I'd backup my data and reinstall.  Trying to upgrade cleanly through all the advisories would be interesting to see if you could do it, but, you'd have to have the time and understand that there are very likely to be issues with some perhaps being real pissers.  If you just grab the latest download ISO and install from that it just bypasses so many issues and gets you up-to-date the fastest and most reliably.  Once you are updated: do a full system upgrade at least once a week and always take care of advisories as they happen.  Always check the main page before doing any upgrade just in case an advisory is newly there.  Never install a package "pacman -S package" without doing a "pacman -Syu" full update immediately before it, never - ever - do "pacman -Su" as that is just asking for issues in some cases, stuff everyone should do with Arch.

Last edited by headkase (2013-01-31 19:15:27)

#6 2013-01-31 20:40:15

czubek
Banned

It's what I love about Arch. As a rolling release, a fresh installation invariably leapfrogs any problem.

#7 2013-01-31 21:42:24

darkjh

what you mean by reinstalling is to copy data & clean up disk then install a new arch?

#8 2013-01-31 23:04:48

jonathan183

I suggest you try updating the system, don't use force option in pacman unless it's for a specific package (which you should find listed on news page) ... worst case is you have to boot from a live CD and fix things & if you don't manage to do that then backup data and do a fresh install. Having a live CD or two handy is all you need ... one that will let you surf the net for solutions and allow you to download things manually would help wink
tail /var/log/pacman.log and look for news items after your last update ...

#9 2013-02-01 08:02:29

headkase

darkjh wrote:

what you mean by reinstalling is to copy data & clean up disk then install a new arch?

Exactly what I mean is back up the files you want to keep to an external media, format the computer, reinstall Arch on that, copy your personal files back, reinstall any packages you would like.

Board footer