You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-01 00:59:44

ParanoidAndroid

Custom kernel, encrypt hook not working... help. [SOLVED]

I've compiled a custom kernel in order to reduce boot times on my machine. I still have several tests and potential recompiles to run to finish stripping the thing down to absolute minimum, but I'm getting there. Due to outrageous (and healthy) paranoia, I've done my best to secure my computer in addition to making it run fast, and to that end I've encrypted my hard drive.

The problem I've encountered with the custom kernel is that, once compiled and generated into an initial ramdisk, it won't decrypt my HDD. I have the encrypt hook and all other needed options configured in my mkinitcpio.conf, and they work on my default Arch kernel. With my new custom kernel, it will boot the thing but either the encrypt hook isn't running or it's not doing anything when run, and I have no idea why. It will boot, idle for much longer than strictly necessary, and then skip right to the lvm2 and btrfs hooks that succeed it, not prompting for a password as with my default kernel. It's been driving me mad over the course of a week of fiddling, rebooting, testing, and more fiddling. Google has been queried many a time, but to no avail. I'm hoping that you fine folks can come up with a brilliant solution, since all mine have met with failure.

Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited by ParanoidAndroid (2013-02-01 22:50:53)

#2 2013-02-01 01:03:33

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Custom kernel, encrypt hook not working... help. [SOLVED]

ParanoidAndroid wrote:

I've compiled a custom kernel in order to reduce boot times on my machine.

I doubt this will make much of a difference.

With that out of the way, have you had a look at what is actually being built into the ramdisk?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2013-02-01 02:14:14

ParanoidAndroid

If I strip down the kernel to the absolute minimum needed to run my system, I can load it just a tad faster. And for me, every millisecond counts.

And no, I have not. This is my first dig-into-the-guts foray into the kernel and related stuff, so I'm not clear on how to do that. Could you, perchance, direct me to a resource or explain how to do so?

#4 2013-02-01 02:32:03

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

lsinitcpio will tell you what is included in the image; I'd start there...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2013-02-01 02:36:59

ParanoidAndroid

Analysis with the command you provided shows that dm-crypt, cryptsetup, the encrypt hook, and all other requisite modules and binaries (so far as I can tell) are compiled into the image. Yet it still won't boot, no matter what I throw at it. I even tried setting up the modules to be hardcoded into the kernel, but nothing seems to be working. Maybe I'm missing a module, or perhaps a binary? I have no way of knowing which ones are missing, because I can't for the life of me figure out which modules/binaries are necessary for the encrypt hook to function properly and which are just extra crap.

here is the entire output of lsinitcpio for my custom image, initramfs-stripped.img:

==> Image: /boot/initramfs-stripped.img 
==> Created with mkinitcpio 0.12.0
==> Kernel: 3.7.5-CUSTOM-ARCH
==> Size: 4.62 MiB
==> Compressed with: gzip
  -> Uncompressed size: 11.93 MiB (.387 ratio)
  -> Estimated extraction time: 0.157s

==> Included modules:
  ahci			  dm-mod		  mbcache
  ahci_platform		  dm-region-hash	  pktcdvd
  arc4			  dm-snapshot		  sata_highbank
  btrfs [explicit]	  ecb			  scsi_mod
  cbc			  ehci-hcd		  sd_mod
  cdrom			  ext4			  sr_mod
  crc16			  gf128mul		  usb-common
  crc32c		  jbd2			  usbcore
  crc32c-intel		  jfs [explicit]	  xts
  dm-crypt		  libahci		  zlib_deflate
  dm-log		  libata
  dm-mirror		  libcrc32c

==> Included binaries:
  blkid		  cp		  kmod		  mount
  btrfs		  cryptsetup	  lsblk		  switch_root
  btrfsck	  dmsetup	  lvm		  udevadm
  busybox	  findmnt	  lvmetad	  udevd

==> Early hook run order:
  udev
  lvm2

==> Hook run order:
  udev
  encrypt
  btrfs

==> Cleanup hook run order:
  shutdown
  lvm2
  udev

I can't detect any discrepancies in this output, but then again I'm far from an expert.

Would the ouput for my primary kernel be helpful, as well?

[EDIT]
Looking back, it looks like the custom image has the same binaries as the default one. The only difference between the two is the number of modules included in the image. So it's likely a missing module. Anyone have a clue which one(s) might be the culprit? Looking at the encrypt hook file in /usr/lib/initcpio/hooks, it appears that the only thing it depends on it the cryptsetup binary and possibly the dm-crypt module, both of which I have in the custom image. Going from that, I included the aes module, which had been missing. No luck. I also tried most of the other crypt-prefixed modules... nothing.

I'll try recompiling from scratch using my modified config file and see if that yields any results. In the meantime, I'd still like some input on this. I'm going completely off my nut trying to figure this thing out.

[EDIT]
Recompile didn't help. I took the "quiet" option off of the kernel parameters to see if there was any useful or telling output. All I got was a bunch of messages concerning USB buses and such, but nothing that looked like an error. Because the kernel didn't actually save any dmesg logs, I have no way to go back and look at it in detail. Help?

Last edited by ParanoidAndroid (2013-02-01 22:03:55)

#6 2013-02-01 22:04:09

ParanoidAndroid

bump

#7 2013-02-01 22:18:43

ParanoidAndroid

I ran further tests, this time using /dev/sda2 instead of a /dev/disk-by-uuid/ entry. Worked flawlessly. It appears that the kernel can't recognize UUIDs, though I'm not sure why or which component of the UUID process (the /dev/disk-by-uuid entry not being created, etc) has failed.

there is a /dev/disk/by-uuid entry, but it looks like it is not being consulted or is not present in early boot.

[EDIT]
it was a typo in the UUID... one character off. Marking thread as solved. *facepalm*

Last edited by ParanoidAndroid (2013-02-01 22:50:36)

Board footer