You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-31 22:07:01

doru001
Member
Registered: 2013-01-25
Posts: 138

font fringe (blur) in terminal [SOLVED]

I succeeded to get rid of font fringe in Firefox by using:

$ cat /etc/fonts/local.conf
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
  <match target="font">
    <edit name="antialias" mode="assign"><bool>true</bool></edit>
    <edit name="hinting" mode="assign"><bool>true</bool></edit>
    <edit name="hintstyle" mode="assign"><const>hintfull</const></edit>
    <edit name="lcdfilter" mode="assign"><const>lcdlegacy</const></edit>
    <edit name="rgba" mode="assign"><const>none</const></edit>
  </match>
</fontconfig>

but I can't get rid of it in any terminal where I can set the font size and background color, which means lxterminal and gnome-terminal.

I really need this, please tell me how could you set up your terminal with no font fringe, a normal 12 points font and white on black colors in X Window?

Last edited by doru001 (2013-02-03 10:33:15)

Offline

#2 2013-01-31 23:17:12

brebs
Member
Registered: 2007-04-03
Posts: 3,426

Re: font fringe (blur) in terminal [SOLVED]

Your rules are far too simple. Look at Infinality's fontconfig rules.

You haven't specified which font.

If you care about how your fonts look, I strongly recommend setting up Infinality's rendering.

Offline

#3 2013-02-01 00:15:40

Grinch
Member
Registered: 2010-11-07
Posts: 265

Re: font fringe (blur) in terminal [SOLVED]

I was under the assumption that most terminals rely on .XResources for their font settings? Like:

Xft.lcdfilter: lcddefault
Xft.hintstyle: hintslight
Xft.rgba: rgb
Xft.autohint: 0
etc...

or?

Offline

#4 2013-02-01 07:41:23

doru001
Member
Registered: 2013-01-25
Posts: 138

Re: font fringe (blur) in terminal [SOLVED]

Grinch wrote:

I was under the assumption that most terminals rely on .XResources for their font settings? Like:

Xft.lcdfilter: lcddefault
Xft.hintstyle: hintslight
Xft.rgba: rgb
Xft.autohint: 0
etc...

or?

I tried .Xresources but it does not influence the font in lxterminal, either.

Last edited by doru001 (2013-02-01 08:17:14)

Offline

#5 2013-02-01 07:53:46

doru001
Member
Registered: 2013-01-25
Posts: 138

Re: font fringe (blur) in terminal [SOLVED]

brebs wrote:

Your rules are far too simple. Look at Infinality's fontconfig rules.

You haven't specified which font.

If you care about how your fonts look, I strongly recommend setting up Infinality's rendering.

The font is specified in lxterminal > properties, but I don't know what should I do.

`pacman -Ss infinality` returns nothing. Have you installed the patch from http://www.infinality.net/blog/infinali … e-patches/?

Do you know for sure that infinality influences lxterminal?

Last edited by doru001 (2013-02-01 08:12:15)

Offline

#6 2013-02-01 08:16:29

Grinch
Member
Registered: 2010-11-07
Posts: 265

Re: font fringe (blur) in terminal [SOLVED]

Well, looking at your fonts.conf I see you are using 'lcdlegacy' as lcdfilter, iirc that filter could cause alot of color fringing, have you tried lcddefault or lcdlight (the latter 'should' have the least amount of color fringing)?

Also when you change your .Xresources settings, I believe you need to do 'xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources' for them to take effect.

That's all I can think of, if it still looks weird please post a screenshot.

Offline

#7 2013-02-01 08:20:49

brebs
Member
Registered: 2007-04-03
Posts: 3,426

Re: font fringe (blur) in terminal [SOLVED]

See packages in AUR.

Dunno what lxterminal uses - I use xfce4-terminal. It's pretty sad that some terminals are still stuck in the dark ages of *not* using fontconfig's flexibility sad

One way of trying to identify a font is e.g.:

lsof | grep firefox | grep ttf

Offline

#8 2013-02-01 08:43:43

doru001
Member
Registered: 2013-01-25
Posts: 138

Re: font fringe (blur) in terminal [SOLVED]

Grinch wrote:

Well, looking at your fonts.conf I see you are using 'lcdlegacy' as lcdfilter, iirc that filter could cause alot of color fringing, have you tried lcddefault or lcdlight (the latter 'should' have the least amount of color fringing)?

Also when you change your .Xresources settings, I believe you need to do 'xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources' for them to take effect.

That's all I can think of, if it still looks weird please post a screenshot.

I believe that lcdlegacy was the best for firefox - I just changed those options randomly around.

I used `xrdb ~/.Xresources` and then `xrdb -q` to make sure that the settings have been loaded. After that I restarted lxterminal and I checked again that `xrdb -q` did not change.

fringe screenshot

Last edited by doru001 (2013-02-01 08:55:05)

Offline

#9 2013-02-01 08:57:46

doru001
Member
Registered: 2013-01-25
Posts: 138

Re: font fringe (blur) in terminal [SOLVED]

brebs wrote:

See packages in AUR.

Dunno what lxterminal uses - I use xfce4-terminal. It's pretty sad that some terminals are still stuck in the dark ages of *not* using fontconfig's flexibility sad

One way of trying to identify a font is e.g.:

lsof | grep firefox | grep ttf

No problem, I'll use xfce4-terminal, just tell me that it listens to infinality and that you have no font fringes on it, when white on black at 12 points.

Thanks for the lsof. (It does not work in console, though.)

Last edited by doru001 (2013-02-01 09:07:01)

Offline

#10 2013-02-01 09:54:07

doru001
Member
Registered: 2013-01-25
Posts: 138

Re: font fringe (blur) in terminal [SOLVED]

I fixed it with `lxappearance` > Font > uncheck Enable antialiasing and check Enable hinting:
fringe2 screenshot (no more direct link, where are they going to stop?)

Last edited by doru001 (2013-02-01 10:17:32)

Offline

#11 2013-02-01 10:00:25

brebs
Member
Registered: 2007-04-03
Posts: 3,426

Re: font fringe (blur) in terminal [SOLVED]

doru001 wrote:

just tell me that it listens to infinality

Yes.

doru001 wrote:

and that you have no font fringes on it

Wrong. There is no simple, magic button marked "remove font fringes" that you can press.

The sad reality is that font rendering is a horrendous historical mess of compromises, becauses monitors are roughly 100 dots-per-inch rather than the 600 DPI that we would like.

What you get with Infinality is better rendering in general, and more tweaking ability. But this takes effort, on your part.

The compromise ends up being a little bit of fringing. E.g. with small, bold Helvetica. An option is to turn the sub-pixel rendering off, to remove the fringing, but that looks worse to me.

Fonts also vary wildly in quality. In my terminal I've been happy for years with the Liberation Mono font.

Offline

#12 2013-02-01 10:39:44

doru001
Member
Registered: 2013-01-25
Posts: 138

Re: font fringe (blur) in terminal [SOLVED]

brebs wrote:

Wrong. There is no simple, magic button marked "remove font fringes" that you can press.

The sad reality is that font rendering is a horrendous historical mess of compromises, becauses monitors are roughly 100 dots-per-inch rather than the 600 DPI that we would like.

What you get with Infinality is better rendering in general, and more tweaking ability. But this takes effort, on your part.

The compromise ends up being a little bit of fringing. E.g. with small, bold Helvetica. An option is to turn the sub-pixel rendering off, to remove the fringing, but that looks worse to me.

Fonts also vary wildly in quality. In my terminal I've been happy for years with the Liberation Mono font.

I finally begin to understand. Thank you.

P.S. Where is this lxappearance saving its configs? Of course, no man.
EDIT: By using find to search for modified config files while I modified settings in lxappearance I found out that the settings for fonts are modified in `/home/user/.config/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf` (and they are full of references to gtk).

Last edited by doru001 (2013-02-01 11:02:44)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB