You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-01 17:59:28

jamtat

program start-up slow under JWM

I'm running JWM on my home computer owing to its lightness and configurability, and because I was able to configure it to look like gnome2--which I'd managed to get my wife to use--which is a less intimidating interface to certain members of my household. It's working ok, though it's not nearly as snappy as I'd expect it to be on this machine (which is a bit dated now, though with plenty of oomph for this lightweight desktop [early dual core, 2GB RAM]). Terminals and pcmanfm open fairly quickly--somewhere around 1 second or a bit less. I'd expect it to be closer to instantaneous, though.

But when it comes to more substantial applications like firefox, chromium--even midori--or lowriter, the lag gets really noticeable. It takes something like 7 seconds for an application like midori or chromium to open after I've clicked on the respective icon. This is, of course, not a show-stopper: I can use the computer fine, despite the delays I'm seeing. But it does make me wonder whether something's misconfigured on this system.

I recently did a long-overdue pacman -Syu on this system, so it's now using systemd. I also decided during that process that I wanted to get rid of the login manager (slim) to lighten things up a bit further. So I set the system up to log me in automatically, then boot to the GUI (using instructions found at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/St … h_profile).

I guess my .xinitrc file could be relevant, so I'll post its content below:

#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
# based on /etc/skel/.xinitrc as wiki says
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)
[[ -f ~/.Xresources ]] && xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
  for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
     [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
   done
   unset f
fi

xmobar &          
exec /usr/bin/jwm
# exec ck-launch-session /usr/bin/jwm

Anything look out of whack there? The final, commented line was entered from the Arch wiki entry for JWM, which appears quite out of date now, since consolekit seems to be deprecated. So I commented out that line. Can anyone spot any problems with this file?

Also, I recently started Chromium from a terminal to see if it would output any error messages that could help me track down why I'm seeing these delays in program start-up. Following is what was output:

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
[5586:5600:0201/113155:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(608)] Failed to get name owner. Got org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could
not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager': no such name
[5586:5608:0201/113157:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(608)] Failed to get name owner. Got org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could
not get owner of name 'org.chromium.Mtpd': no such name
[5586:5608:0201/113157:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(608)] Failed to get name owner. Got org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could
not get owner of name 'org.chromium.Mtpd': no such name
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
[5586:5586:0201/113200:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(513)] Failed to call method: org.chromium.Mtpd.EnumerateStorage: object_path=
/org/chromium/Mtpd: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.chromium.Mtpd was not provided by any .service files

I think I understand about the fontconfig error and how to fix that. But the freedesktop.DBus stuff is not very comprehensible to me. Could that relate in some way to the unusual delays I'm seeing in program start-up?

Input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
James

Board footer