You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-01 14:06:48

SoleSoul

School of Haskell Goes Beta

Since I saw much interest in Haskell among Arch users I thought I'd share with you a blog post I just saw: http://fpcomplete.com/school-of-haskell-goes-beta/
FPComplete, a company which promotes practical and commercial use of Haskell just rolled out the beta of an online interactive school for Haskell. They seem to be serious about the this stuff so I hope it will have high quality content.

Haskell is different and not easy, and I already spent quite some time learning it (Learn You A Haskell and tutorials) so I'm interested in seeing what they do differently.

EDIT: I forgot to add, actually, the main reason of my excitement about that are the people behind it. Bartosz Milewski is the man behind C++ In Action, my favorite book for C++ and Michel Snoyman is the author of Yesod, a Haskell web framework.

Last edited by SoleSoul (2013-02-01 14:18:33)

#2 2013-02-01 16:58:40

chris_l

Re: School of Haskell Goes Beta

Wow, embeded and runnable haskell programs on the browser sounds really nice. I'm going to try it this weekend.

We believe that Haskell is the future of programming and that education is the first step on the path to its widespread industry adoption.

Yeah preach it!
Edit: Ok, I been testing it, and yeah, it looks great. Still, its missing tutorials and more stuff, but I guess there will be more with more time. Not sure if every user can write them, or only certain users.

Last edited by chris_l (2013-02-02 16:12:06)

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#3 2013-02-02 17:32:04

SoleSoul

chris_l wrote:

Still, its missing tutorials and more stuff, but I guess there will be more with more time. Not sure if every user can write them, or only certain users.

Yes, that's true. They said on the blog post that currently they have only a few tutorials but they have built a framework for allowing the community to participate in the content creation.

#4 2013-02-02 18:21:10

bsilbaugh

I've signed up for the course/tutorial, but I appear to have been put on a waiting list. I guess they are temporarily restricting the number of users until the service has been more thoroughly tested (makes sense).

I hope they address high-performance/parallel computing. I'm eager/hopeful to someday be able to use Haskell (or similar language) for scientific HPC applications.

- Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. -- Mark Twain
- There's a remedy for everything but death. -- The wise fool, Sancho Panza
- The purpose of a system is what it does. -- Anthony Stafford Beer

#5 2013-02-02 23:31:11

Nisstyre56

bsilbaugh wrote:

I've signed up for the course/tutorial, but I appear to have been put on a waiting list. I guess they are temporarily restricting the number of users until the service has been more thoroughly tested (makes sense).

I hope they address high-performance/parallel computing. I'm eager/hopeful to someday be able to use Haskell (or similar language) for scientific HPC applications.

Check out this talk that Simon Peyton Jones gave on nested data parallelism a few years ago: http://youtu.be/NWSZ4c9yqW8

In Zen they say: If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, try it for eight, sixteen, thirty-two, and so on. Eventually one discovers that it's not boring at all but very interesting.
~ John Cage

Board footer