You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-03 16:13:00

ThunderRush

[SOLVED] Problem with GDM and Gnome3

Okay, the Topic was more of a trick. Actually I'm havingt two seperate issues; I googled and such, but have not found anything that really answers my question.

First Issue:
I have my gdm.service enabled, so it starts on statup. I boot into runlevel 3. Now, whenever I type "startx" the screen becomes black, and after a while I come back into my TTY with something along the lines of "Stopping X server". But without any error, etc. It justs stops. When I know do a systemctl status on my gdm.service, I become that:

gdm.service - GNOME Display Manager
	  Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/gdm.service; enabled)
	  Active: inactive (dead)

Feb 03 16:47:31 thunderlaptop gdm-simple-slave[475]: WARNING: Failed to give slave programs access to the display. Trying to proceed.
Feb 03 16:48:22 thunderlaptop gdm-password][623]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): authentication failure; logname=(unknown) uid=0 euid=0 tty=:0 ruser= rhost=  user=thunderuser
Feb 03 16:48:33 thunderlaptop gdm-password][626]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session opened for user thunderuser by (unknown)(uid=0)
Feb 03 16:48:33 thunderlaptop gdm-simple-slave[475]: WARNING: Failed to remove slave program access to the display. Trying to proceed.
Feb 03 17:03:17 thunderlaptop systemd[1]: Stopping GNOME Display Manager...
Feb 03 17:03:17 thunderlaptop gdm-simple-slave[475]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: g_object_ref: assertion `object->ref_count > 0' failed
Feb 03 17:03:17 thunderlaptop gdm-simple-slave[475]: WARNING: Child process 626 was already dead.
Feb 03 17:03:17 thunderlaptop gdm-simple-slave[475]: WARNING: Unable to kill session worker process
Feb 03 17:03:18 thunderlaptop gdm-simple-slave[475]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: g_object_unref: assertion `object->ref_count > 0' failed
Feb 03 17:03:18 thunderlaptop systemd[1]: Stopped GNOME Display Manager.

After I start it, it puts me into the login screen and I can work just fine with Gnome3. I have no clue where the issuse might be.

The second is simple to explain - I have no Network symbol in the upper right corner, and Gnome3 says the network service is not compatible with my system.

Oh, and another issue. When I type something too long, the text does not start a new line in my console resulting in some Visual problems.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ThunderRush (2013-02-04 12:36:57)

#2 2013-02-03 16:25:03

Blasphemist

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with GDM and Gnome3

Isn't GDM starting X and Gnome as it should for you? You shouldn't need to start X unless you want more than one X session. Is that what you are trying to do? After installing Gnome and Gnome-extra, I just use this command to enable GDM. systemctl enable gdm

What is your networking configuration. The beginners guide has been updated within the last week or two about this due to a change in network interface naming. Please give that a look.

Which console and shell are you using? Does it have a line wrap configuration option. This is normally automatic but those are my first questions.

Simple and Open

#3 2013-02-03 16:48:31

ThunderRush

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with GDM and Gnome3

Blasphemist wrote:

Isn't GDM starting X and Gnome as it should for you? You shouldn't need to start X unless you want more than one X session. Is that what you are trying to do? After installing Gnome and Gnome-extra, I just use this command to enable GDM. systemctl enable gdm

What is your networking configuration. The beginners guide has been updated within the last week or two about this due to a change in network interface naming. Please give that a look.

Which console and shell are you using? Does it have a line wrap configuration option. This is normally automatic but those are my first questions.

Well, as I said, I start into runlevel 3 and want to start X by myself.

Yes, I realise that it is not wlan0 anymore, and I know the name of my wlan-interface. It works awesomely fine via wifi-menu <interface>, but gnome3 seems to have struggles? Have not found anything about that.

I'm using the gnome shell with bash. But the problem occours in a tty2 console as well. I guess it is a problem with .bashrc, but I have no idea what it might be.

Edit:
So, the fixes for the problems are...
1. Reinstall Linux. My Pam was fucked up somewhoe.
2. systemctl enable NetworkManager and not networkmanager. Please kill me.
3. I wrote the Colorcodes and escape-characters in a variable and used that in the actual PS1. That fixed it, and the guys over at bash suggest that too.

Last edited by ThunderRush (2013-02-04 12:36:42)

Board footer