You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-03 07:41:58

tohben

[solved] bless refind on macbook not working

I followed the instructions on the beginner's page and the UEFI Bootloaders for Apple Macs. But when in OS X terminal, it can't find directories

MacBook:Volumes user$ sudo bless --setBoot --folder /mnt/efi/EFI/refind --file /mnt/efi/EFI/refind/refind_x64.efi
No mount point for /mnt/efi/EFI/refind
Can't determine mount point of '/mnt/efi/EFI/refind' and ''

Is there something else I'm supposed to be doing first? I went back through my arch boot cd and double checked that sda1 (aka disk0s1 - mac EFI) has the /efi/EFI directories, etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by tohben (2013-02-04 07:12:33)

#2 2013-02-03 11:17:30

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: [solved] bless refind on macbook not working

In OSX, did you mount the EFI partition on /mnt/efi before issuing the bless command?

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2013-02-03 20:31:19

tohben

I figured that would be the case but I couldn't find any command that seemed to work for that. I don't want to come across as completely incompetent... but clearly I am when it comes to OS X terminal commands. I've tried $  mount /dev/disk0s1 /mnt/efi
and it's says "You must specify a filesystem type with -t"  I'll keep scouring the web to see if I can figure it out. Thanks for the help so far.

#4 2013-02-03 20:52:47

tohben

I found this Mounting the EFI Boot Partition on Mac OS X and was able to mount a /Volumes/efi using $ sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/efi
But all it has in it is refit none of the refind directories I installed in the arch configuration. is /Volumes/efi on OS X the same as /mnt/efi on linux?

Last edited by tohben (2013-02-03 20:54:29)

#5 2013-02-03 20:53:30

WonderWoofy

How about following those instructions and specifying the filesystem type? I think what you are asking though is more OSX specific. OSX is really bad about updating their CLI utilities, so versions and capabilities probably greatly differ from the same tools an Arch Linux.

I see you figured out the filesystem type. In OSX the automounter does use /Volumes. So if you simply need to specify to the command where the necessary binary is I am sure that would probably work.

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2013-02-03 20:55:30)

#6 2013-02-03 22:10:57

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

WonderWoofy wrote:

So if you simply need to specify to the command where the necessary binary is I am sure that would probably work.

That's correct, the only goal is to let the EFI firmware know where the file in question is. So in this case don't forget to change the bless command to reflect this as well:

$ sudo bless --setBoot --folder /Volumes/efi/EFI/refind --file /Volumes/efi/EFI/refind/refind_x64.efi

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#7 2013-02-04 01:19:49

srs5694
Website

tohben wrote:

is /Volumes/efi on OS X the same as /mnt/efi on linux?

In some sense, mount points are arbitrary -- you can mount a partition at /mnt/efi, at /boot/efi, at /Volumes/fred, at /some/weird/place, or whatever. There are a few limits on this based on certain critical directories -- for instance, attempting to mount anything at /etc is likely to lead to pain. Likewise, if a partition holds critical system files, it may need to be mounted at a particular location to do any good. For instance, if you split /var off onto its own partition, you'd want to mount that partition at /var (except perhaps for some very rare maintenance tasks). For the ESP, though, you can mount it just about anywhere -- under either Linux or OS X. The most common mount point in Linux is /boot/efi, followed in popularity by /boot. AFAIK, there's nothing remotely resembling a "standard" mount point for the ESP in OS X.

Speaking to your broader issue, tohben, I think you'll find this much easier if you download the official rEFInd binary .zip file from the rEFInd download page and run the install.sh script from OS X. That will do the installation for you. It's probably best to install it to the OS X root partition rather than to the ESP, because some users have problems with ~30-second delays when starting rEFInd from the ESP, but normally not when started from an HFS+ volume. (The default behavior of install.sh under OS X is to install to the OS X root partition; to install to the ESP, you must add the --esp option.) If you want rEFInd to read your Linux filesystems, you can add the --alldrivers option to install.sh to install drivers; or you can manually install only the driver(s) you need.

#8 2013-02-04 07:12:16

tohben

Thanks for all the help everyone. I found a couple of mistakes I made early in the process, so I'm guessing I'll be able to make it work once I fix those. I really appreciate how helpful this forum is!

I'm going to mark it as solved for now and I'll reopen it if I still have issues once things are fixed.

Board footer