You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-05 18:28:08

argoniss

Why Was it needed to make ArchLInux so hardcore to install?!?

I know that You all get me alredy wrong, but let me few moments to explain my self!

I am not a expert in LInux administration nor a begginer user of Linux and I feel dumb whit all other Linux distros.
The ONLY one Linux OS gived me freedom to work and enjoy it is ArchLinux, but not with new installer

wich need me to do EVERYTHING by myself just to pruff to noobs that win is only workable os there(*buntu's are not!)?
For three days i'm trying to mount the root  and swap partition and I just don't get it!?

What was the Logic to make it that way? ArchLinux was not bare bone enogh and keep midiocre users away?

Please rewrite the "Installation guide"!

I'm not the only one with complains!

Thank You verymuch for the few moments You spend reading this!

#2 2013-02-05 18:35:03

kaszak696

Re: Why Was it needed to make ArchLInux so hardcore to install?!?

No one wanted to maintain AIF, so it has been replaced by sophisticated scripts. Deal with it. Beginner's Guide is very clear about the whole ordeal, what exactly is your problem?

Last edited by kaszak696 (2013-02-05 18:36:05)

'What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.' - Christopher Hitchens
'There's no such thing as addiction, there's only things that you enjoy doing more than life.' - Doug Stanhope
GitHub Junkyard

#3 2013-02-05 18:36:35

nomorewindows

The same basic steps for installation are about the same for any distro.  The installer is different from one to the other.  Some installers are crummier than others.  The original ArchLinux didn't have a fancy installer, and if it goes back to that, well it is still KISS.  I got to where I didn't even need the AIF.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#4 2013-02-05 18:42:47

shadowhand
Website

I just came back to Arch after 5 years of OSX, and I think the new install scripts are awesome. No more guessing about what the installer does behind the scenes, the install text on the live CD is pretty good, and the wiki fills in all the gaps. The manual install method is short and sweet, I don't see what the problem is...

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#5 2013-02-05 18:53:31

Awebb

https://www.archlinux.org/news/install- … -released/

It has been this long, since the AIF vanished. There has not been a single serious attempt by the community to replace it. I personally do not miss it.

#6 2013-02-05 18:57:40

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

This has been covered extensively here already: a search would have told you that.

Having to do "EVERYTHING" yourself is seen by the majority of the Arch community to be part of the Arch Way,
not an excuse for whining.

Closing.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer