You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-29 04:36:24

windexh8er

System B0rked

So...

I just did my weekly pacman -Syu, looked like there was an updated kernel - but quite honestly I didn't pay too much attention.  The laptop was running out of juice so I just shut it down.  Booted it back up and everything is b0rked.  I have no network adapters (eth0 / wlan0 - previously did the systemd 197 (if memory serves correct) fix to get the old naming convention back).  When I try to start X I get "no screens found".  Considering I can't even get network up I'm not sure where to start.  What changed in the past week and is there any particular place to start digging?  I've been a long time Arch user and am baffled by this one.  I know my wired adapter is an Intel 82577LM, so I tried to modprobe e1000e, but nothing.  My terminal scrolls like molasses now...

No.  Idea.

Help?

#2 2013-01-29 06:00:46

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: System B0rked

windexh8er wrote:

So...

I just did my weekly pacman -Syu, looked like there was an updated kernel - but quite honestly I didn't pay too much attention.  The laptop was running out of juice so I just shut it down.  Booted it back up and everything is b0rked.  I have no network adapters (eth0 / wlan0 - previously did the systemd 197 (if memory serves correct) fix to get the old naming convention back).  When I try to start X I get "no screens found".  Considering I can't even get network up I'm not sure where to start.  What changed in the past week and is there any particular place to start digging?  I've been a long time Arch user and am baffled by this one.  I know my wired adapter is an Intel 82577LM, so I tried to modprobe e1000e, but nothing.  My terminal scrolls like molasses now...

No.  Idea.

Help?

That's good update practice, alright.....

Check pacman.log for anything you should have done in a post-install.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2013-01-29 13:41:21

windexh8er

ngoonee wrote:

That's good update practice, alright.....

Check pacman.log for anything you should have done in a post-install.

Well...  Thank you for that highly constructive commend forum moderator!  It's now very clear why you're in the position you're in.  Because I'm sure 100% of all Arch users proactively monitor their system upgrades 100% of the time.  At least I was honest...  Keep in mind - not everyone is an Arch administrator or developer 100% of their waking hours.

There's nothing in the log that shows anything that needs explicit attention FYI - so, even if I had monitored pacman, I'd still be in the same position.  I went from 3.7.3-1 to 3.7.4-1 kernel, xorg-server-common got bumped from 0.4.4.4 to 0.4.5-1 and the last big one would be filesystem got bumped from 2012.12-1 to 2013.01-3.

So, again...  Not sure where to look.  Nothing on the system works.  It's been working fine for a few weeks.  Guess I'll have to do my own digging.

#4 2013-01-29 14:40:36

alphaniner

Because I'm sure 100% of all Arch users proactively monitor their system upgrades 100% of the time.

Pretty much, yeah.

Guess I'll have to do my own digging.

Welcome to Arch smile

Last edited by alphaniner (2013-01-29 14:41:50)

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#5 2013-01-29 16:25:30

juray

Hi,

i dont know if it help you, ..

in my pacman log from 18.01.2013 i see this:

( 9/14) upgrading systemd                          [######################] 100%
==> Persistent net naming rules have been shipped as disabled.
    See /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules for more detail

This is content of this file in my PC

# This file masks persistent renaming rules for network devices. If you
# delete this file, /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules may
# rename network devices according to ID_NET_NAME_{ONBOARD,SLOT,PATH}
# properties of your network devices, with priority in that order. See
# the output of 'udevadm test-builtin net_id /sys/class/net/$interface'
# for details on what that new name might be.
# 
# http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames

Check this out...

My version of systemd is now:

systemd 197-4

Everytime if i have similar problems with X (last time when i setting up two monitors), i find hint for solution in X logs

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

I think that really good practice is to preform system update every day, and log from this update save to individual file. It yelds relative short pacman log after each update and better overwiew of changes in system...

j.

#6 2013-01-29 16:57:55

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Suggestion number one: Don't insult the moderators (see "respect the staff": https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … The_Staff)

Suggestion number two: Don't choose a user name that implies you have no respect for other operating systems (see "Respect other Distributions and Operating systems": https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … g_Systems)

And no, not everyone proactively monitors their upgrades. You can see many posts here from people who failed to do so.

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2013-01-29 17:04:20)

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#7 2013-01-29 17:04:27

jynnantonix

juray wrote:

log from this update save to individual file

You can get the same thing with

cat /var/log/pacman.log | grep <year>-<month>-<date>

Will save you from having lots of redundant log files.

#8 2013-01-29 17:59:55

windexh8er

juray wrote:

Hi,

i dont know if it help you, ..

in my pacman log from 18.01.2013 i see this:

( 9/14) upgrading systemd                          [######################] 100%
==> Persistent net naming rules have been shipped as disabled.
    See /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules for more detail

This is content of this file in my PC

# This file masks persistent renaming rules for network devices. If you
# delete this file, /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules may
# rename network devices according to ID_NET_NAME_{ONBOARD,SLOT,PATH}
# properties of your network devices, with priority in that order. See
# the output of 'udevadm test-builtin net_id /sys/class/net/$interface'
# for details on what that new name might be.
# 
# http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames

Check this out...

My version of systemd is now:

systemd 197-4

Everytime if i have similar problems with X (last time when i setting up two monitors), i find hint for solution in X logs

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

I think that really good practice is to preform system update every day, and log from this update save to individual file. It yelds relative short pacman log after each update and better overview of changes in system...

j.

Thanks juray!  I am going to dig back into systemd this afternoon, I'm guessing this may be the root of my problems since networking, X and some other things have completely failed after the upgrade.  Odd thing is - I didn't see any systemd upgrades in the pacman log file.  The udevadm is a new one for me, so hopefully that sheds some light.  Thanks!

My X log doesn't have anything interesting in it - just "no screens found".

Much appreciated for the insight and suggestions!!!

Last edited by windexh8er (2013-01-29 18:00:29)

#9 2013-01-29 18:03:56

windexh8er

2ManyDogs wrote:

Suggestion number one: Don't insult the moderators.

Suggestion number two: Don't choose a user name that implies you have no respect for other operating systems

To #1: Thank you, but I'm not a lemming.  He/She took the time to post the first condescending message
To #2: I'm not sure you read my handle the correct way, but I've been using it for well over 10 years and it has nothing to do with operating systems.  Yours could mean that there are too many dogs in the world and that you want to get rid of all of them.  On neither point do I have a concern with you - but belaboring your point of assumptions being made incorrectly.

#10 2013-01-29 18:20:03

Stebalien
Website

First, you should re-read ngoonee's post. It's a statement of fact (upgrading without looking is bad practice but it happens to everyone once in a while) and a helpful suggestion (check your pacman logs). As it is, you are gunning for a ban.

As for your problem, please post your video card model, Xorg log, and the output of `ip link` and `lspci`.

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

#11 2013-01-29 19:23:59

windexh8er

I did reread it.  Just trying to be realistic - the reality of the situation is that the pacman output gave no indication of something really bad about to happen.  Was standard upgrade - no notifications or failure.  Had I actually watched it with intent concern my problem would be 100% the same.  That point seems to have been lost in the thread.

Video card is integrated Intel 3000, ip link only shows loopback (can't manually bring up any physical interface anymore) and as for dmesg I'll have to post it later.

I did try booting the system from the live disc, mounting my /root partition, doing a pacman -Sy, then doing a pacman --root /to/my/root/mount -Syu which, worked.  But only updated a couple outdated packages and had no impact.  I think I'll take juray's advice and dig into systemd when I get home.

I do appreciate any insight and suggestions as much as the next person - I'm not looking for someone to flat out solve my problem, just looking for pointers or suggestions.  Seems stuffy 'round these parts.  Guess I'll hit up IRC next time I have a lame problem...   I find it odd that I've entirely borked my entire system doing an upgrade, I've never experienced anything this full of fail with Arch in the past 6 years.  Then again, maybe it's the driver.

EDIT:
And, yes, I would have posted a bunch of logs already - but with no network I figured I'd ask first.  Didn't have any removable media with me at the time to sneakernet it over to something I could post from.

Last edited by windexh8er (2013-01-29 19:27:50)

#12 2013-01-29 23:05:06

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Out of interest, did you get the glibc upgrade? And, perhaps more to the point of what many have said already in this thread about good upgrade practice, did you read the news regarding that filesystem update you took?

[Edit]: You might find that a thread title more explanatory than "System B0rked" would result in more people being willing/able to help.[/Edit]

All the best,

-HG

Last edited by HalosGhost (2013-01-29 23:07:16)

#13 2013-01-30 03:47:12

windexh8er

Well...  I think I've just about given up.  I can confirm it wasn't related to 'filesystem' being upgraded - at least there were no traces of warnings regarding /usr/lib64 in the pacman log.  I validated that both 'gllibc' and 'filesystem' were upgraded at the same time - they were both current versions.  I've tried booting the system into LiveCD and reinstalling both of them to no avail.

My last ditch effort was to boot into the live system one last time and do a `arch-chroot /mnt/mytemproot pacman -Syu base base-devel`.  Nada - still no interfaces available and X fails.  At this point I don't trust the installed system and have pulled all my data back down and will reinstall tomorrow.  I'd love to have gotten to root cause, but there was no indication anywhere that I've been able to see.

#14 2013-01-30 17:14:09

the sad clown

I just want to confirm, lspci does show your network devices, but ip link only shows lo. What about the drivers (lsmod)?

I laugh, yet the joke is on me

#15 2013-02-02 16:08:56

windexh8er

the sad clown wrote:

I just want to confirm, lspci does show your network devices, but ip link only shows lo. What about the drivers (lsmod)?

lspci shows everything (not a hardware problem - both wlan and eth are no longer accessible).  Re: drivers, I posted earlier that manually trying to load the e1000e driver gets me nothing - wasn't even going to attempt the wireless at that point.  The lsmod output showed that the driver wasn't loaded.  Too messed up to consider even trying fixing.  Doing a rebuild today.

#16 2013-02-02 17:37:34

the sad clown

What does lspci -v show on the "Kernal driver in use" line?

I laugh, yet the joke is on me

#17 2013-02-02 17:41:26

Stebalien
Website

Just out of curiosity, have you tried downgrading your kernel to confirm that this is a kernel issue?

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

#18 2013-02-03 12:33:14

PReP
Website

Stebalien wrote:

First, you should re-read ngoonee's post. It's a statement of fact (upgrading without looking is bad practice but it happens to everyone once in a while) and a helpful suggestion (check your pacman logs). As it is, you are gunning for a ban.

As for your problem, please post your video card model, Xorg log, and the output of `ip link` and `lspci`.

Actually, that was sarcasm more then it was a purely statement of fact.
I just hope there will be less of that, and more actual to-the-point-statements in the future.

On the actual topic, it is sort of one of the most important points when chosing to run arch - that you need to read more, and spend more time and attention to upgrades,
wheter it be pacman-file-upgrades, or changed policies in the underlying programs themselves.
This lesson is one we all learn at one point when/if straying from it. : )

. Main: Intel Core i5 6600k @ 4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4 XMP, Gefore GTX 970 (Gainward Phantom) - Arch Linux 64-Bit
. Server: Intel Core i5 2500k @ 3.9 Ghz, 8 GB DDR2-XMP RAM @ 1600 Mhz, Geforce GTX 570 (Gainward Phantom) - Arch Linux 64-Bit
. Body: Estrogen @ 90%, Testestorone @ 10% (Not scientific just out-of-my-guesstimate-brain)

#19 2013-02-03 17:24:58

ewaller
Administrator

Lets try a sanity check.

Please post the output of uname -a
and of pacman -Qi linux

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#20 2013-02-05 22:13:53

windexh8er

So I've reinstalled the system...  I've, quite honestly, never had a problem like that with Arch after over 6 years of use.  The interesting thing is that, for those who didn't read through my posts, after the original system upgrade the Pacman log had nothing interesting or that I needed to act upon.  So, I took the latest install disc and reinstalled everything I had from the 'pacman -Q' output.  Nothing different - keep in mind the install media I was using was prior to the filesystem / glibc announcement.  However, I do feel that it had something to do with timing and, quite possibly, a mirror sync issue.  Either way - my system is running as it had been prior to the debacle.  No configuration changes and all the same software....

I'll chalk it up to an outside influence at this point, but regardless, I don't feel there was much opportunity for me to have not run into the issue other than not having done an Syu that particular day.

Board footer