You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-29 23:18:37

doorknob60

[solved]Flash screen tearing after fresh install

So yesterday, I broke my install of Arch beyond recovery. But that's fixed now, I reinstalled it and it works much better than it ever has. Anyways, now, anytime I watch any Flash video, in either Firefox (with flashplugin from [extra]) or google-chrome (with its included newer Pepper API Flash) both have bad screen tearing. I'm using a GT 430 with the 313.18 proprietary drivers. I have VSync turned on in Nvidia-settings, but it makes no difference. I have tried Flash, VLC, Mplayer, even with VDPAU, and it always happens. I'm using the MATE DE, and was using KDE before, but that shouldn't make a difference (also note that there was no tearing even with KDE composting disabled or enabled, worked either way). I tried using xcompmgr just for the heck of it, but still doesn't work. Oh, and I'm just using one monitor. It was working fine before, but now videos are very annoying to watch, so I need to figure this out ASAP. Any ideas?

EDIT: Never mind, it's just Flash. I turned xcompmgr back off (I had it on just to see if it would fix it) and VLC and Mplayer started behaving, but Flash (what I use most) still tears! It worked fine before I reinstalled, what should I do?

Last edited by doorknob60 (2013-02-07 02:12:24)

#2 2013-02-02 09:15:13

David Batson

Re: [solved]Flash screen tearing after fresh install

I am guessing that you have clutter/mutter installed (gnome window manager/compositor).

If so, try adding

CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling

to /etc/environment then restart X.

#3 2013-02-07 02:11:45

doorknob60

David Baston: I might have to try that when I get the time to fix it with MATE, but I found out that using an OpenGL based WM, like KWin, and probably Compiz (which doesn't work right with Mate) will fix it. I'm using Kwin now and it works, so I'll mark this as solved.

#4 2013-02-07 02:23:41

headkase

X itself has no concept of V-Sync:

http://lwn.net/Articles/354596/

It's the compositors that do that, not X.

Board footer