You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-03 20:41:44

napoleon

speedtouch modem driver not loading after reboot

I successfully installed and got my speedtouch modem working but when i reboot, i get the error message "FIRMWARE_FILE undefined". Hence my modem does not work.

How do i fix this?

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

#2 2005-04-03 22:24:50

i3839

Re: speedtouch modem driver not loading after reboot

Split the firmware into two parts and let it be loaded by hotplug. That's what I did and works great, no need for the seperate firmware loader anymore. See http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/12/27/63 for details.

In /etc/hotplug/usb/ I have a script 'speedtch':

#!/bin/bash

adsl(){
    if [ ! -z $SEQNUM ]; then
        if [ ! -f /tmp/bla ];
        then
            echo "--- $SEQNUM ---" >> /tmp/bla;
            echo $DEVPATH >> /tmp/bla;
            /usr/sbin/pppd call speedtch &> /tmp/bla;
        fi
    fi
}

case $ACTION in
add)
    adsl;
    ;;
*)
    echo -n "ADSL: speedtch unknown option: ";
    echo $ACTION;
esac

This way after Arch booted up, X and Firefox are running, the damn slow modem is ready just in time.

#3 2005-04-04 03:00:42

napoleon

Pardon my ignorance but does it apply to the speedtouchconf script as i am confussed about how to carry it out under that case. The modem installation works first time, using the speedtouchconf script which i find very easy to use  together with the firmware rev4*.zip.

It is after i reboot that i get this problem. In this case is the firmware to be used rev4*.zip or microcode.dat? Also as this is a user space driver does it still apply as the link seemed to mentio a kernel driver.

Thnx.

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

#4 2005-04-04 15:31:01

i3839

Uhh, I don't know the speedtouchconf script, I use the kernel driver.

If you use the userspace driver then adding speedtch to hotplug's blacklist may be a good idea, as they're incompatible and may mess eachother up.

If you unzip rev4*.zip you'll most likely find two files in it, one the boot part and the other the microcode part. The small one is the boot part. For the firmware it doesn't matter if you use the kernel or the userspace driver, only with the kernel driver you can let hotplug loadt he firmware instead of that userspace tool (mgmhmrwhatever).

That FIRMWARE_FILE undfined is probably because hotplug tries to load the firmware. That error should go away when you add speedtch to hotplug's blacklist.

#5 2005-04-07 16:14:06

napoleon

I still can't get the modem to work with the same message "FIRMWARE_FILE undefined" at boot time. Ok so please say i have a fresh base install of Arch 0.7. What steps must i take to install my modem. It is the speedtouch 330 (silver) usb modem. tThe firmware file that i have managed to make it work with on other distros is rev4fw.zip. I don't care if its user space or kernel mode. Please help.

I don't believe that everybody threw their speedtouch modem away and got different one so please some one help. I have been a distro ho for a while but i will really like to settle down with arch so help me take this relationship to the next level. I promise to invite you to the wedding if you help.

thnx.

#6 2005-04-07 18:04:00

i3839

If you unzip rev4fw.zip then it will probably contain two files, the boot part and the image.

Did you add "speedtch" to /etc/hotplug/blacklist? If not, try that and see if it works then, after reboot. It prevents that the kernel driver is loaded.

If that doesn't fix it then I don't know why it doesn't work for you anymore, perhaps it's because of the newer kernel where some things changed. Anyway, in that case I'll just say how I did it:

If you're going to do it this way then remove 'speedtch' form the blacklist file again.

Sites I followed:
http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/
http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/12/27/63

1) Make sure you have a kernel with the proper support (at least the modules ppp_generic, pppoatm, slhc, atm, usb_atm and speedtch).

2) You need an atm aware pppd and the libatm library. To get those I used speedbundle from the first site mentioned above.

3) Configure ppp's config files. I have:

###  /etc/ppp/peers/speedtch

# To connect to using this configuration file, do
#       pppd call speedtch

lcp-echo-interval 10
lcp-echo-failure 10
noipdefault
defaultroute
user "username@typeofadlsstuff"
noauth
noaccomp
nopcomp
noccp
novj
holdoff 4
persist
maxfail 25
updetach
usepeerdns
plugin pppoatm.so
# this one is important, make sure it is correct for your ISP:

You also need to configure /etc/ppp/pap-secrets or chap-secrets, depending on your ISP.

4) Configure hotplug. Make sure hotplug is loaded at startup.

4a)Let hotplug know about the speedtch driver:

echo 'speedtouch 0x0003 0x06b9 0x4061 0x0000 0x0000 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00000000' >> /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap

4b) Make an executable (chmod +x) file /etc/hotplug/usb/speedtch and put something like the next in it:

#!/bin/bash

adsl(){
    if [ ! -z $SEQNUM ]; then
        if [ ! -f /tmp/bla ];
        then
            sleep 1;
            /usr/sbin/pppd call speedtch &> /tmp/bla;
            echo "--- $SEQNUM ---" >> /tmp/bla;
            echo $DEVPATH >> /tmp/bla;
        fi
    fi
}

case $ACTION in
add)
    adsl;
    ;;
*)
    echo -n "ADSL: speedtch unknown option: ";
    echo $ACTION;
esac

5) Now you have everything except the firmware loading. Easiest is if you let hotplug do it. The above script assumes that. If you want to do it manually then you'll need to do it in the above speedtch script with the appropriate sleep's to give the modem enough time.

In your case, unzip rev4fw.zip. It probably contains two files, a small one and a big one. Copy the small file to;

/lib/firmware/speedtch-1.bin

and the big one to;

/lib/firmware/speedtch-2.bin

The first one should be about 990 bytes, and the second one about 660Kb. If you don't get those two files, but only one, then follow the instructions of the second link above and use the firmware extractor.

Make sure that the kernel supports firmware loading:

$ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep FW_LOADER

should tell that.

Now reboot and pray that it works. In dmesg I get something like the following when everything goes alright:

usbcore: registered new driver speedtch
usb 1-1: found stage 1 firmware speedtch-1.bin
CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
usb 1-1: found stage 2 firmware speedtch-2.bin
ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
ADSL line is synchronising
DSL line goes up
ADSL line is up (800 Kib/s down | 256 Kib/s up)

And the content of my /tmp/bla file is:

Plugin pppoatm.so loaded.
PPPoATM plugin_init
PPPoATM setdevname - remove unwanted options
PPPoATM setdevname_pppoatm - SUCCESS:8.48
connect(8.48): No such device
--- 361 ---
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.1/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.0

If this is clear enough and also works for you then I'll add it to the wiki.

If there is demand then I'll make an Arch package with the fixed pppd, libatm and the hotplug stuff.

#7 2005-04-07 18:46:28

napoleon

thnx a lot. i'll try your method and report back asap. thnx again. tongue

#8 2005-04-07 19:34:13

i3839

Ah, oops. That /tmp/bla output is when pppd is called too fast. Most of the time it worked, but once in a while it fails. Today it failed, hence the "No such device" error. That's why I added a "sleep 1" to the script, hopefully with that it works always. Normally you get cool ip and dns info...

#9 2005-04-08 15:13:45

napoleon

i3839 i am very pleased to report that following your instructions, i have managed to get my silver speedtouch 330 modem working with arch and it was not difficult at all. The two links you provided too were super helpful like the first onehas got got a firmware for my modem and has instructions on using the firmware extractor to generate the two files required to be placed in the hotplug firmware folder.

There were a few issues though like (1) the hotplug firmware location is /lib/firmware but it doen't exist therefore will have to be creted manually and also the enries for the nameserver i struggled with aliitle until i found the right ones.

Apart form that there were no problems. Thanks a lot and please add it to the wiki and make a package like you said it will really help. Cheers. tongue

#10 2005-04-09 01:09:47

i3839

Great!

Yes, I should had mentioned that the lib/firmware directory doesn't exist by default. As for the nameserver, my ISP provides nameservers to pppd, so pppd makes /etc/ppp/resolv.conf with my ISP's dns servers. If you have that file with working servers then you can make a symlink /etc/resolv.conf which points to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf. I guess that the "usepeerdns" pppd option causes pppd to write ppp/resolv.conf.

For historical purposes I'll add the correct output of a succesful pppd startup here, which is written to /tmp/bla with the above script:

Plugin pppoatm.so loaded.
PPPoATM plugin_init
PPPoATM setdevname - remove unwanted options
PPPoATM setdevname_pppoatm - SUCCESS:8.48
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> 8.48
PAP authentication succeeded
local  IP address 181.206.0.53
remote IP address 195.190.249.10
primary   DNS address 195.121.1.34
secondary DNS address 195.121.1.66

the local ip address is fake. ;-)

I'll add this to the wiki this weekend and ask for feedback here. Did you use the default Arch kernel? That would make things easier for people using it.

#11 2005-04-09 22:24:29

i3839

Wiki page at http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/Speedtouch

Did you use speedbundle at all or did Arch's ppp package contain libatm already? And can you confirm that it works with Arch's default kernel?

The sad thing is that the firmware may not be distributed freely, so can't make a package for that. :-(

#12 2005-04-09 23:53:18

i3839

Ok, I downloaded Arch's ppp package and verified that the default kernel has all the required modules, I'll update wiki. This makes things so much simpler. I also sent an email to Thompson asking permission to distribute the firmware, but I have no hope about that.

#13 2005-04-11 18:10:59

napoleon

oh sorry for the delay. I haven't had time to use my pc for a while. Yes it was  kernel as it comes.

#14 2005-11-07 11:42:49

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

You also need to configure /etc/ppp/pap-secrets or chap-secrets, depending on your ISP

What kind of crap information is that?  Not even a link to an existing doc about where to start this configuration?

#15 2005-11-07 11:59:31

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

# this one is important, make sure it is correct for your ISP: 

And what the hell does that mean?!

#16 2005-11-07 14:11:40

sudman1

AFAIK, chap-secrets and pap-secrets files are formatted the same. See here for more info.

The important numbers are the VPI and VCI numbers. I don't recall what they mean exactly, but it has to do with the signalling over the wire if I'm not mistaken. Different countries and/or ISPs have different VPI/VCI settings. I believe that the UK VPI/VCI numbers are 0/38, but it's been a while.  I dumped my SpeedTouch when I got Arch b/c I couldn't get the modem working at the time.

v/r
Suds

#17 2005-11-07 15:36:39

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

So, would that be 0.38 then?  rather then 8.48?

#18 2005-11-07 15:43:24

sudman1

Correct - 0.38 for UK

v/r
Suds

#19 2005-11-09 15:59:04

i3839

I gave info on how to get the Speedtouch modem working, my goal wasn't to write a pppd configure howto.

If you have an ISP who provides DLS with PPPoA or PPPoE then they will tell you wether they use pap or chap authentication, and if they're good even tell you how to setup pap-sectrets or chap-secrets. They should also tell you which VP and VC values to use.

If that isn't enough to know how to configure those config files, then it's time to start thinking for yourself. Hint 1: they are in the ppp directory. Hint 2: two links to sites which were used to get it working. Let's go to one and see if the missing info is there. The first one seems to have a lot of generic information, with plenty of example configurations and help, even a FAQ with a list of used VP/VC values per country: http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/faq/index.html#q12

You're right that I should have mentioned that that strange number was a VP/VC pair though.

This documentation started as help for napoleon, and he got it working without problems with the provided information and by following the given links, so excuse me if it wasn't verbose enough for everyone.

Keep up the helpful and constructive criticism dibblethewrecker, surely the world would be a better place if everyone behaved more like you do.

#20 2005-11-09 17:17:37

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Keep up the helpful and constructive criticism dibblethewrecker, surely the world would be a better place if everyone behaved more like you do.

I dunno if that is sarcasm or not but regardless the wiki is now much better than it was!

#21 2005-11-09 19:35:12

i3839

I'm not so sure. It provides more detailed but still incomplete information, which can also be found on the pages the links point to. Especially the VP/VC table is silly (Suomi?), just give a link to the full table and be done. The formatting seems to be a bit screwed up too, and you introduced more typos and exclamation marks than I like.

"If you are using the hitplug script"

"If you are having problems you can check pppd debug messages by adding debug to /etc/ppp/peers/sppedtch."

one 'p' too many, and this advice is close to useless as the normal output of pppd is sufficient to see where the problem is.

"This can help identify authentication problems"

"to identify" or "identifying".

It would also be nice if you fixed the warning at the top, as it probably can be fixed by a udev rule which tells how to handle firmware load requests. It was the only thing that really needed fixing, together with mentioning what that mysterious number was.

#22 2005-11-09 20:30:15

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

i3839 wrote:

I'm not so sure. It provides more detailed but still incomplete information, which can also be found on the pages the links point to. Especially the VP/VC table is silly (Suomi?), just give a link to the full table and be done. The formatting seems to be a bit screwed up too, and you introduced more typos and exclamation marks than I like.

"If you are using the hitplug script"

"If you are having problems you can check pppd debug messages by adding debug to /etc/ppp/peers/sppedtch."

one 'p' too many, and this advice is close to useless as the normal output of pppd is sufficient to see where the problem is.

What?  How petty you are!  "Ohh, you played with my wiki page and made it worse"  Fix the typos or shut up.  Normal output was not enough in my case hence this suggestion would have been useful to me - what is the problem with the extra information?

i3839 wrote:

"This can help identify authentication problems"

"to identify" or "identifying".

Perfect colloquial english, you can add "to" or "you" if it makes you feel better.

i3839 wrote:

It would also be nice if you fixed the warning at the top, as it probably can be fixed by a udev rule which tells how to handle firmware load requests. It was the only thing that really needed fixing, together with mentioning what that mysterious number was.

Udev problem is fixed in 071 which is in testing now.  And as far as things that "needed fixing" - there is more information now, I think that is a good thing.

By the way, if your sole purpose in returning to this forum was to be confrontational about changes to "your" wiki page, feel free to leave again without causing anymore trouble wink

I have fixed the "problems" you have identifed - maybe you could fix them yourself next time.  After all, that's why we have a wiki.

#23 2005-11-09 21:53:47

i3839

Fixing the typos in the wiki would imply that I fully agree with the other changes, which I don't because the damn thing is already long enough and making it only longer isn't improving it IMHO. There is plenty of very detailed online information how to setup the modem, what is missing is a good overview on what must be done to get it working, and info on how to let hotplug load the firmware is scarse too. So that's what the page tries to do, it never tried to be also a pppd configuration guide.

The idea is that if people know what they must do, they are smart enough to gather the detailed information themselves if needed. The guide was already too verbose as it gave much more info than needed to get only the modem working.

I don't mind people playing with "my" wiki page, but if they mess it up it isn't "my" wiki page anymore, and it's out of my hands.  As the changes are more a matter of taste than technically better or worse I didn't see a reason to undo them. I don't see why I should fix your errors, be glad I pointed them out at all.

It's nice of you to try making it better, I only think you overdid it and added too much unneeded information (besides the typos and the strange formatting around the table).

Good to hear that the annoying firmware loading problem is fixed in udev 071.

This is one of the few threads I'm subscribed to, or else I wouldn't post here. Don't worry, I didn't return, this came to me thanks to the notification. So you can breath again, I'm still gone. ;-)

#24 2005-11-09 22:07:38

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Strange formatting is a bug I can't be arsed to report - table is there in teh hope that people will add to it as they see fit.

Maybe it is a bit long but there is no pppd guide to link to in the wiki.  I also thought you missed parts where a link to more specific info would help - that's all I added.

This is the diff  for the page, how much did I actually add?  More of it was rejigging - all I added was the pap/chap secrets, more info on firmware and VPI/VCI - all of which was argueably missing when there is no pppd howto to refer to smile

#25 2005-11-09 22:53:08

i3839

The internet is bigger than just the wiki, the page pointed to has very detailed information, also on pppd config. But you're right, you didn't add that much, that ugly table made it seem worse than it was (I've removed it).

Board footer