You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-08 05:26:34

CPUnltd
Website

Seeking help with qt program: wish to add more features/functions...

There is a program I built a pretty basic PKGBUILD for in AUR that I would like to reawaken and further develop.  The name of the package is Turbojet 2 https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/turbojet2/ ...  It's a pretty nice program that allows you to turn a pc into a duplicator based on Linux.  It's really nice because you are not limited to just using a desktop.  It supports any cd/dvd burner that is connected to the system (internal or external).  At the end of the day, it's basically a qt frontend for multiple instances of a commandline burner.  There are a few things I'd like to do to this program that I am not personally capable of (and to learn what I need would take a massive amount of time that I just don't have).  This is a worthy program to make accessible to people who make their own music (and would like to mass produce on the fly at their concerts, as an example) or those who document (by audio or video) church sermons, non-profit events, etc. One of the primary features I'd like to further develop this software for is distro distribution centers.  Other than On-Disk.com, I don't really know of any others (free or paid) that exist and this software would help create more of those places...  Things I'd like to add are:

- bluray support
- the ability to erase a *rw disks
- (if possible) support for mass USB formatting or duplicating (USB duplicators are EXTREMELY expensive in comparison to a basic pc with 6, or even 10 usb ports by default).
- (if possible) burning DVDs from data (currently only supports ISO burning to DVD)
- (if possible) CD/DVD Data extraction (to ISO or data files, doesn't matter at this point... whatever would be missing could be added later)
- direct 1:1 duplication from another drive in the system (would likely require some if/then work revolving around the "master drive" being burned from to temporarily disable it's burning functions or something to that degree)

I have no idea if anyone would even be remotely interested in this project... but since I love this program (advocated it heavily in my PCLinuxOS days as well as my days with Unity Linux) and see plenty of expansion for this tool and a chance for it to be a tool unlike any other in the world of linux right now, I am asking for support of the programming nature to help me make this already powerful tool even better.  Hope to get at least one person interested.  Thanks for taking the time to read. Looking forward to responses!

EDIT:
Small edit was done to adhere to forum rules..

Last edited by CPUnltd (2013-02-08 11:57:31)

Help grow the dev population... have your tech trained and certified!

#2 2013-02-08 11:43:44

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Seeking help with qt program: wish to add more features/functions...

I'm not sure I'm clear on what you are asking.  Why do you think usb duplicators are expensive?  dd is free and easy.

There are many tools for turning "data" into an iso, have you done *any* of your own search for this?

The same is true for extracting from isos.

Direct 1-1 duplication of a drive/partition is *exactly* what dd does.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-02-08 12:17:25)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-02-08 12:10:22

CPUnltd
Website

@ Trilby: acutal USB duplcation machines have been on the market for quite some time now... just google the term and you will see just how expensive they are.  You are right that dd handles direct 1:1 duplication, but does dd burn directly to a disk, or save files in the location that is represented by that disk? I have never tried to find out, tbh. 

What I am looking to do here is further develop a simple gui that eases the task of multi disk creation.  for all the reasons I listed in my first post, there is nothing out there that handles these tasks across multiple drives simultaneously.  Whether it's all the same data or different date for each drive.  There simply is nothing out there besides this gui (that I know of).  If you know of something out there that handles what turbojet does plus at least some of the features I'm hoping to add to it, feel free to educate me.  I've been looking for years now. 

You are pointing out the individual functions of the software as commandline tools (and I do not fault you for that, I know of a fair share myself), but combining them into a gui that handles commandline functions in the background for multiple drives is a powerful tool.  Take a look at the program posted here and see what I mean.  I'ts a really light install from AUR.  Just to get a feel for what I'm talking about.  Commandline is great, I'm not knocking it, but a multitasking gui eliminates a lot of double/triple/etc typing and excessive copy/pasting... let alone searching, going through folders via mc and other manner of ways I've done similar tasks via commandline that this software has. 

Hopefully, I've answered your questions on why I decided to start this thread.  If not, feel free to ask more or refine your questions so I can answer them properly.

Last edited by CPUnltd (2013-02-08 12:18:26)

#4 2013-02-08 12:21:18

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

CPUnltd wrote:

acutal USB duplcation machines have been on the market for quite some time now... just google the term and you will see just how expensive they are.  You are right that dd handles direct 1:1 duplication, but does dd burn directly to a disk, or save files in the location that is represented by that disk? I have never tried to find out, tbh.

I have no doubt there are people out there trying to rip people off - this is not new. Still I'm unclear what you are looking for here: you want other people in this forum to do your very basic searches for you when you readily admit you have never tried to figure it out on your own?  That's just silly.

It's also odd to say that there is nothing that handles such things when you are refusing to learn about the tools that do just this.  It's like someone standing next to a forest with their hands over their eyes saying there are no such things as trees.

Also, I'm not suggesting that you use those tools from the command line, but if you want to make a gui wrapper for tools that do X Y and Z, knowing the tools that do X Y and Z would seem to be what you are looking for.  So make your GUI wrapper for those tools.  These tools are numerous and any search of the arch wiki, or nearly any other linux documentation would turn them up quickly.

So again, what are you looking for here?  You say you want help finding things that you don't believe exist, and then when presented you say you don't want to look into them.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-02-08 12:24:07)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2013-02-08 13:08:21

CPUnltd
Website

not trying to re-invent the wheel... just trying to take 4 wheels and make a car.

#6 2013-02-08 13:35:10

jakobcreutzfeldt

Trilby, reread his posts. He's trying to drum up interest in others with more programming skill than he has to expand the capabilities of this (apparently abandoned?) project that he likes. And it's more than dd. Based on his description it is for mass duplicating...making hundreds of copies of something. Sure, you could write some uncomfortable shell script to automate that but it would be a pain in the ass with having to swap out the media between writes. The GUI automates that. And he wants it to do more.

And this isn't about him finding alternates; he knows the one he wants to use and he's hoping others can help make it better.

Rather than jumping in, ready with your Top 10 List Of Stereotypical Arch Linux Forum Response Scripts For The Real Pros in hand, slow down and be patient with people.

Last edited by jakobcreutzfeldt (2013-02-08 13:36:23)

#7 2013-02-08 18:18:14

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I'm not being impatient, I was trying to figure out what the OP was looking for.

He wants to make a gui wrapper around existing tools and wants to know what existing tools should be 'wrapped'.  But when I suggest some, the suggestions are tossed aside as either "non-existent" or possibly relevant, but not worth learning about.

Board footer