You are not logged in.

#1 2005-11-08 01:50:09

lilsirecho
Veteran

arch 0.7.1pre-1. iso problem

Attempting to load arch existing system with newly downloaded arch 0.7.1CD results in a normal install prompt.

The instruction provided in the new CD is:
                              ===================================

arch root=/dev/hdxy

Entering that instruction allows the install to proceed listing :
===========================================
     vmlinuz
  then an initrd statement

These are followed by the arch install elements ending with the arch install prompt.

Thus, the system is not installed from the designated arch root=/devhdxy.

Is this caused by the lack of an initrd in the lilo.conf file?

The system in my computer is arch kernel 2.6.13. 

It would seem that the CD is not backwards compatible with previous arch kernels and the use of CD 0.7 is required for non-initrd kernels.

Perhaps adding the initrd statement in lilo will provide for the new kernel as well as the old kernel(s)?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2005-11-10 05:32:42

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: arch 0.7.1pre-1. iso problem

Further info following an install of base system in a HDD using the arch0.7.1-pre1 CD for install which was successful.

The kernel26 install via this CD is version 2.6.14-4.

This kernel requires initrd entries in the bootloader to enable boot of the installed arch system.

The instruction....arch root=/dev/hdxy....loads the install procedure rather than the system already present on the /dev/hdxy.

This is true whether the system is kernel 2.6.14-4 with initrd or kernel 2.6.13-x without initrd...neither system boots from the CD with the noted instruction...see bug #3444.

Hope this helps big_smile

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2005-11-10 05:53:48

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I had no trouble installing 0.7.1, I just followed the prompts, let GRUB do its thing and I was done.

Dusty

#4 2005-11-10 06:33:45

lilsirecho
Veteran

Dusty:

I may not have made my point clear enough.

I have been able to install with the arch0.7.1-pre1 CD I burned.

I used lilo and inserted the initrd as required by the kernel being installed (not known what kernel was to be installed until I got to it in the install).  Was not aware the kernel being loaded was 2.6.14-4 prior to /arch/setup. 

The point I made regarding the CD is that it doesn't respond correctly to the command (at the boot prompt)...arch root=/dev/hdxy... which fails to load the system installed in /dev/hdxy.  This occurs regardless of initrd kernel or non-initrd kernel in /dev/hdxy.

I hope this makes more sense to you.  I was stating many things in the previous post because I had not tried the install, just tried the command ...arch root=/dev/hda3 to boot into my 2.6.13-x hdd...did not boot into it but did boot into arch install prompt instead.

Perhaps the description was confusing because I had not tried to install but  just to boot into an existing system and that failed(and still does).

Would you try it and report ? big_smile

Board footer