You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-09 19:53:48

MrBond

KDE 4.10 [multihead], screen locker doesn't accept input

Just upgraded to KDE 4.10 a few days ago.  Since the switch, I've come across a couple problems with the screen locker:

1) The locker only overlays the primary X screen (:0.0)
2) The password input dialog cannot receive focus; no amount of tab / mousework allows it to get focus.

I can still click the buttons with the mouse (change session, trigger unlock, change keyboard layout), but without any way to actually enter a password, the session is essentially locked forever.  The only way to get back to a usable session is to hard-reset KDM.

Here's my setup:
- 2 video cards, a GTX 460 and GTX 465 (latest proprietary nVidia drivers)
- 2 X screens, each screen on its own card (running TwinView to patch together two identical monitors)

Other observations:
- No lingering .pacnew's
- Tried with fresh user (fresh KDE config)
- Tried with both "simple locker" and "screen saver" locker
- No relevant entries in Xorg.log or kdm.log
...so I'm fairly certain this isn't a simple configuration issue. 

These bugs seem to be related, but no progress has been made upstream:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=313632
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=314073

Anyone else with a similar setup run into this problem?  Worked just fine with 4.9, so I'm guessing the move to the QML-based locker messed with some setups.

#2 2013-02-13 17:42:10

benny_kenobi

Re: KDE 4.10 [multihead], screen locker doesn't accept input

this may be of interest for you: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1231630

#3 2013-02-14 04:31:03

MrBond

Similar, but I actually get the password dialog.  The lock screen itself only covers screen :0.0 (everything on :0.1 remains in full view).

More detail:
The password field glows on mouse-over, as if it could receive focus, but clicking it does nothing - no entry caret / pipe.  No access keys, the accelerators don't show up on Alt, can't use tab, and enter doesn't submit.  It seems like focus is on a different window and can't be moved, or if it does move to the password dialog it gets stolen away right away.  I can click the Unlock, Switch User, or the keyboard layout switcher.

I managed to hack up a workaround so I can at least unlock the screen without starting a new session or killing the old one - I made the Switch User button unlock it unconditionally.  Insecure as all hell, but it'll save me when I habit-lock the screen while I'm working:

In /usr/share/apps/ksmserver/screenlocker/org.kde.passworddialog/contents/ui/main.qml:

Greeter {
        id: unlockUI

switchUserEnabled: userSessionsUI.switchUserSupported

Connections {
            onAccepted: lockScreen.unlockRequested()
            //onSwitchUserClicked: { mainStack.push(userSessionsUI); userSessionsUI.forceActiveFocus(); }
	    onSwitchUserClicked: lockScreen.unlockRequested()
        }
    }

#4 2013-02-20 01:20:02

MrBond

At this point, I'd even take returning to the old lock screen.  Probably a slim chance of doing that, given it's embedded in the kdebase-workspace package.  Still, anybody have ideas on how to do so?

I'd also be happy to dig into this more myself, but I have the slimmest of handles on the code base.  I think it's in ksmserver/screenlocker/greeter/greeter.cpp...

Board footer