You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-09 23:58:05

fixles

rsync -ar / to external drive then encrypt disks and rysnc -ar back?

Hi,

I want to encrypt the my hard disk on my laptop but I'm really happy with the way my Arch is setup. If I broadly:

1. rsync -ar my / and /home partitions to an external drive 
2. Boot the arch.iso set up the file encrypted file systems (non encrypted for /boot partition)
3. rsync -ar back to / and /home from external drive
4. chroot into / and run grub-install grub-mkconfig -o

Is this likely to work /  Will my system boot after?

Does any foresee any major issues with this?

Also I was planning on using dm-crypt with LUKS for the encryption is this the way to go or something else?

Thanks.

#2 2013-02-10 00:08:38

cfr

Re: rsync -ar / to external drive then encrypt disks and rysnc -ar back?

fixles wrote:

Hi,

I want to encrypt the my hard disk on my laptop but I'm really happy with the way my Arch is setup. If I broadly:

1. rsync -ar my / and /home partitions to an external drive

Use -aAXv.

2. Boot the arch.iso set up the file encrypted file systems (non encrypted for /boot partition)
3. rsync -ar back to / and /home from external drive

Use -aAXv.

4. chroot into / and run grub-install grub-mkconfig -o

Is this likely to work /  Will my system boot after?

Does any foresee any major issues with this?

Well you need to do all the other stuff such as regenerating initramfs and adding config options for grub. But basically, yes, it should work.

Also I was planning on using dm-crypt with LUKS for the encryption is this the way to go or something else?

Thanks.

Depends on your preferences. Not quite what I chose but I'm me and you're you. Read the wiki which sets out the options and explains how to implement them. If you haven't done the reading, the chances that your system won't boot after and that it won't work the way you want when you do get it booting are obviously going to be fairly high.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#3 2013-02-10 00:40:03

fixles

cfr wrote:

Well you need to do all the other stuff such as regenerating initramfs and adding config options for grub. But basically, yes, it should work.

Thanks for the reply. Ah yes genfstab, initramfs and configure grub... anything else i missed? Configuring users, network, language etc should all be fine shouldnt it? Or should I do everything apart from pacstrap?

#4 2013-02-10 04:01:58

cfr

That stuff should be fine, yes. At least, I didn't redo that stuff.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#5 2013-02-10 04:05:41

fixles

cfr wrote:

That stuff should be fine, yes. At least, I didn't redo that stuff.

Thanks. Gonna try it out in a vm first. the dm-crypt lurks & lvm look to be about twice the size of the beginners guide ... sad lol Gonna be a fun sunday.

#6 2013-02-10 11:49:43

Strike0

Here is one fresher write-up.  If you use it in your vm test with the recent install-cd, give some feedback about it here. Thanks.

Board footer