You are not logged in.

#1551 2013-01-12 06:52:01

hut
Website

Re: Ranger, a textbased filemanager

PotatoesMaster wrote:
hut wrote:

Is that the newest ranger-git version? Does ~/.config/ranger/plugins/__init__.py exist?

Yes, sir.

After some investigation, plugins are not loaded when I use a custom colorscheme from ~/.config/colorschemes. The colorscheme is loaded without problem, though. I copied the default to be sure mine is not to blame. smile

Thanks for looking into it, that was indeed the reason. The problem was that "set colorscheme..." disables access to the config directory when it's done loading the color scheme, but ranger needed it to find the plugins. I pushed a fix.

Last edited by hut (2013-01-12 06:52:39)

"hut_" or "h00th00t" in irc.freenode.net #archlinux
Ranger Mailing List: https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/ranger-users

#1552 2013-01-12 10:48:05

igndenok

@hut:
Using ranger-git, somehow I can't paste filename with CJK (ex: IU - 너랑 나).
This happen after update 20130110, no problem with 20130105.

Ask, and it shall be given you.
Seek, and ye shall find.
Knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

#1553 2013-01-13 22:32:25

hut
Website

igndenok wrote:

@hut:

What do you mean with "paste"? copy/paste by typing yy/pp? pasting the name into the console with the middle mouse button? All of that works for me.

#1554 2013-01-14 02:24:23

igndenok

hut wrote:
igndenok wrote:

@hut:

What do you mean with "paste"? copy/paste by typing yy/pp? pasting the name into the console with the middle mouse button? All of that works for me.

No, I mean yn then Shift+Ins to create/change dirname or filename.

Last edited by igndenok (2013-01-14 02:25:42)

Seek, and ye shall find.

#1555 2013-01-15 22:40:50

hut
Website

igndenok wrote:
hut wrote:
igndenok wrote:

@hut:

I fixed that, thank you. This reminds me that I should never touch the unicode handling code again.

But can you tell me if you could still type in CJK characters? Was the bug limited to pasting with shift+insert or did it affect typing too? Because I noticed that I can't type/paste umlauts anymore either since commit 972da7ba, which is due to a different bug.

#1556 2013-01-16 12:50:14

Baabelfish

@hut
It would be neat to have the vim feature of jumping to previous locations (Ctrl+o, Ctrl+i in vim). Could it be implemented into Ranger too?

usability == arch + i3 + urxvt + vim + ranger + dwb + vlc + cmus + mutt + shitload of scripts

#1557 2013-01-16 18:30:03

Army

Baabelfish wrote:

@hut
It would be neat to have the vim feature of jumping to previous locations (Ctrl+o, Ctrl+i in vim). Could it be implemented into Ranger too?

Do you mean what happens when you enter 'H' (shift + h)?

#1558 2013-01-17 03:20:05

igndenok

hut wrote:
igndenok wrote:
hut wrote:

I fixed that, thank you. This reminds me that I should never touch the unicode handling code again.

But can you tell me if you could still type in CJK characters? Was the bug limited to pasting with shift+insert or did it affect typing too? Because I noticed that I can't type/paste umlauts anymore either since commit 972da7ba, which is due to a different bug.

No problem with pasting CJK characters and this:

Σὲ γνωρίζω ἀπὸ τὴν κόψη
Hello world, Καλημέρα κόσμε, コンニチハ

As for typing CJK characters, I don't know about that because I never type CJK character.
Always copy/paste from browser or text editor, so sorry can't help you with that.

Seek, and ye shall find.

#1559 2013-01-17 11:38:36

PotatoesMaster

hut wrote:

I noticed that I can't type/paste umlauts anymore either since commit 972da7ba, which is due to a different bug.

It seems the option 'xterm_alt_key' was removed from the default configuration. adding the line

set xterm_alt_key false

to rc.conf did the trick for me.

#1560 2013-01-18 20:56:44

Baabelfish

@Army

Exactly big_smile

usability == arch + i3 + urxvt + vim + ranger + dwb + vlc + cmus + mutt + shitload of scripts

#1561 2013-01-19 19:06:56

Goran_V

Hello
Can somebody tell me if Ranger suport xterm256 color output from "highlight". I can't seem to make it work. If output is ansi I cant make any of the color them's work. But when I change the output to xterm256 the text in Ranger just blinks sad.
Awesome file manager btw !!!

Last edited by Goran_V (2013-01-19 19:07:06)

#1562 2013-01-19 23:39:10

eruditorum

Great file manager!

But what about just showing file type instead of its content on the right side (it looks messy with the overall design)?

Also I think it will look much cleaner if filesystem root (/) will always reside on the left side - never in center (when it is selected and there is no upper level in hierarchy) - it causes empty space on the left.

Last edited by eruditorum (2013-01-20 23:20:20)

#1563 2013-01-20 18:37:28

Veedrac

eruditorum wrote:

Great file manager!

But what about just showing file type instead of its content on the right side (it looks messy with the overall design)? (for the first time maybe not mime but just simple TEXT/BINARY)

Just change your scope.sh for:

#!/bin/bash
file --mime-type -Lb "$1" | tr "[:lower:]" "[:upper:]"
exit 5

The

| tr "[:lower:]" "[:upper:]"

is optional.

Last edited by Veedrac (2013-01-20 18:38:51)

#1564 2013-01-20 22:54:22

mentat
Website

hut wrote:

Hi hut,
do you have fix the bug in the last git version?
I've French localised system, ant it's now impossible to edit/create filenames with some characters (accented: éàèù or ç ...).
No character is printed and you cannot enter an other one.
The copy paste is also impossible.

Thanks a lot!

#1565 2013-01-20 23:35:09

Goran_V

Has somebody managed to make ranger open text file in a separate vim instance.
My approach was to make a vim server with "vim --servername vim"
Then I edited apps.py by adding:

@depends_on('vim')                                                                                                   
    def app_vim(self, c):                                                                                                                  
    return "vim --servername vim --remote-tab-silent", c

but it does not do anything. If I execute the same in the command line it works OK. I tried to use shell: in ranger and type it manually but still no go.
So is this possible. And how ?

On the other side I saw in the manual  on the site a nice vim function to open ranger from inside the vim.
I decided to edit the function to allow several files to be selected and opened and the user can choose for files to be opened in tabs or not.
So here's the code :  (I'm a vim script newbie so it can probably be simpler)

" open ranger file manager                                                      
fun! RangerChooser(make_tabs)                                                   
  exec "silent !ranger --choosefiles=/tmp/chosenfiles " . expand("%:p:h")       
  if filereadable('/tmp/chosenfiles')                                           
    :let f_list = readfile('/tmp/chosenfiles')                                  
    :for f in f_list                                                            
      :if(a:make_tabs)                                                          
        :tabnew                                                                 
      :endif                                                                    
      let cmd = 'edit ' . f                                                     
      :exec cmd                                                                 
    :endfor                                                                     
  call system('rm /tmp/chosenfiles')                                            
  endif                                                                         
  redraw!                                                                       
endfun        

map ,rr :call RangerChooser(0)<CR>                                              
map ,rt :call RangerChooser(1)<CR>       

Also I should mention that for some reason  ranger can't handle multiple selections in different directories with --choosefiles options.
Only the files in the current directory will be exported. I dunno if it's a bug or not but it would be nice.  I'm using    Ranger 1.5.4 (stable)

Last edited by Goran_V (2013-01-22 21:34:55)

#1566 2013-01-22 18:55:12

PotatoesMaster

Goran_V wrote:

Has somebody managed to make ranger open text file in a separate vim instance.
My approach was to make a vim server with "vim --servername vim"
Then I edited apps.py by adding:

@depends_on('vim')                                                                                                   
    def app_vim(self, c):                                                                                                                  
    return "vim --servername vim --remote-tab-silent", c

but it does not do anything. If I execute the same in the command line it works OK. I tried to use shell: in ranger and type it manually but still no go.
So is this possible. And how ?

The command arguments should be separated, this way:

@depends_on('vim')
    def app_vim(self, c):                                                                           
    return 'vim', '--servername', 'vim', '--remote-tab-silent', c

This is valid only for ranger-stable, since ranger-git uses now a new file launcher named rifle. The configuration file rifle.conf replaces apps.py for customizing file associations.

A command for the manual way could be (%s will be automatically expanded into the names of selected files):

:shell vim --servername vim --remote-tab-silent %s

P.s: try [code][/code] tags in comments, it's powerful. wink

#1567 2013-01-23 11:02:56

Goran_V

Tnx PotatoesMaster, works like a charm

#1568 2013-01-26 12:31:23

pielgrzym

hut, thanks for clearing this up! The first problem was due to ancient tmux revision wink

Is there any way to implement paste_as_root via user commands.py so it would fit into the usual paste dialog? This is a real pain in the ass in ranger to paste a file in a directory that you don't have perms for - you either have to spawn ranger as root (takes ages) or use "!" or "@" which is not even near comfortable (so I usually do this kind of stuff with zsh, since it's faster - shell provides vi bindings to navigate in single line, whereas ranger's commandline doesn't). I don't need any progressbar so it might be a simple wrapper over 'sudo cp -r' or something smile How do you struggle with such scenario?

Last edited by pielgrzym (2013-01-26 12:35:23)

#1569 2013-01-26 16:37:09

PotatoesMaster

@pielgrzym:
You could add this mapping to your rc.conf:

map pR eval fm.execute_console('shell sudo mv %c .') if fm.do_cut else fm.execute_console('shell sudo cp -r %c .')

Then you can copy/cut files as usual and paste with pR to paste as root.

It may be done better (to copy/move the file in the background, for example). If you do not use this for copying large files, it may not bother you anyway. Just pay attention to not overwrite important stuff. smile

#1570 2013-01-26 16:58:14

pielgrzym

PotatoesMaster, this is precisely what is needed! Thanks a lot! Ranger is just astonishing smile
Thanks a lot!

PS. Converted the eval to user command:

class paste_as_root(Command):
	def execute(self):
		if self.fm.do_cut:
			self.fm.execute_console('shell sudo mv %c .')
		else:
			self.fm.execute_console('shell sudo cp -r %c .')

Last edited by pielgrzym (2013-01-26 17:04:33)

#1571 2013-01-28 22:18:16

hut
Website

After over a year, it is time for a new minor version number: for ranger 1.6.0. This means that new features are getting into ranger-stable, not only bug fixes. Features like the new file launcher "rifle", rc.conf, visual mode, removal of the config files "apps.py" and "options.py", a rewritten tabs backend and several new options and key bindings.

I'd like to ask you to think of any changes and bug fixes that absolutely have to get into 1.6.0. Tell me about your ideas, even if you already told me, since I am very forgetful.

Also, please note that in 1.6.0, all tabs will be converted to 4 spaces in order to conform with python style guidelines (PEP 8, bug report). This might cause issues with patches or "git blame", sorry for the inconvenience. Often git provides a "--ignore-whitespace" or "-w" option which may help you with the transition.

#1572 2013-01-29 07:56:22

Army

hut wrote:

I'd like to ask you to think of any changes and bug fixes that absolutely have to get into 1.6.0. Tell me about your ideas, even if you already told me, since I am very forgetful.

Little reminder:

Army wrote:

In the status bar I have for example

-rw-r--r-- 1 army users 348 M 2012-11-29 10:16                               29.2G sum, 70.8G free  53/131  43%

(without code tags, so I can highlight the important part)

I think it would be better to remove the space between the value and the unit

-rw-r--r-- 1 army users 348M 2012-11-29 10:16                               29.2G sum, 70.8G free  53/131  43%

It's not really important, lowest priority, but I guess it's very easy for you to do and it's just more consistent.

#1573 2013-02-09 16:35:23

AlmostSurelyRob

I am trying to configure file preview. In particular I am interested in getting preview of archives. atool is installed on the system and worsk fine from the commandline but unfortuantely ranger is crashing when I select files in debug mode. I also copied scope.sh to my .config/ranger directory.

This is the output of rander -d

Locale: en_GB.UTF-8
Current file: /home/robert/download/mkvmboot.tar.bz2
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/ranger/core/main.py", line 145, in main
    fm.loop()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/ranger/core/fm.py", line 184, in loop
    loader.work()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/ranger/core/loader.py", line 248, in work
    self.fm.notify(err)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/ranger/core/loader.py", line 243, in work
    next(item.load_generator)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/ranger/core/loader.py", line 73, in generate
    stdout=PIPE, stderr=PIPE, stdin=null)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/subprocess.py", line 818, in __init__
    restore_signals, start_new_session)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/subprocess.py", line 1416, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception_type(errno_num, err_msg)
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied

Could you tell me what is going wrong there?

By the way, thanks for this excellent file manager. It's extremely efficient. Looking forward to version 1.6.

#1574 2013-02-10 00:48:03

hut
Website

My guess would be that your scope.sh is not executable. Try to "chmod +x ~/.config/ranger/scope.sh"

#1575 2013-02-10 00:58:01

AlmostSurelyRob

Thanks... your guess was quite correct. Works fine now.

Board footer