You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-10 00:26:01

deus_deceit

[SOLVED] Installing arch linux using dd from anrdoid phone's sd card

Hello everybody, I'm totally new and totally excited about arch linux.
I'm trying to create a bootable android phone for some hours now with no success.
The reason I'm trying to do that, is because all my usb sticks are all over the place at friends houses.
Since I'm not the patient type, I decided to do it with my Android Phone's SD card cause I noticed that I have the option to boot from it during startup.
Now, what seems to be the problem is this:
I did "dd bs=4M if=/path/to/archlinux.iso of=/dev/sdc" which seemed to do the job. When I rebooted tho, I didn't see my phone as a booting option.
That was obviously due to unrecognized file system format. How can I dd and keep the filesystem type? I believe that it's ntfs or FAT.

I also tried to install without overwriting the stick, which was a failure, it said it wouldn't find the .cfg files when i ran the commands in the wiki.

Can somebody help me with this?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by deus_deceit (2013-02-10 02:13:12)

#2 2013-02-10 00:45:33

chris_l

Re: [SOLVED] Installing arch linux using dd from anrdoid phone's sd card

hm. First at all, most android phones use an ARM processor, so you should be using archlinux ARM instead of arch linux.

But I'm not sure is gonna be possible even using archlinux arm. Post your question on their forums

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#3 2013-02-10 00:48:57

deus_deceit

Okay, it seems like I wasn't so clear and I'm sorry about that.
I'm not trying to install it in my phone if that's what you thought. I'm trying to boot my computer from my phone as a usb stick.

#4 2013-02-10 00:54:25

chris_l

oh!

Well, if your phone is detected as a regular usb stick, it should be exactly the same procedure.

It is detected as a regular stick? you can plug your phone to any pc and work as it was just an usb stick or are you required to install software? And, you are able to boot the arch live environment using a regular usb stick from that computer? (yeah, checking the basic things first)

No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#5 2013-02-10 00:58:25

deus_deceit

Yes, my phone's card works without adding software as soon as I plug it in, the problem appears to be this: when i do "dd" on the SD card the filesystem type changes which causes my phone thinking that the SD card is empty since it doesn't recognize that format and not showing as a bootable device. As soon as I format it with my phone and reboot, it's there. So what I want to do is, create a bootable SD card that keeps the filesystem format that my phone recognizes. Is that possible?

Last edited by deus_deceit (2013-02-10 00:58:54)

#6 2013-02-10 01:35:51

chris_l

Ah yes! I have my bootable usb like that. instead of dd'ing the iso, I copied the files and then use grub4dos to boot to the arch installation.
My usb is fat32 formated, which I guess is a format your phone will like.
Read more about it here

No.

#7 2013-02-10 02:10:23

deus_deceit

Well, all those stuff and reading is pretty overwhelming for a noob like me.
So I just used the universal usb installer (which I just thought about :S)... it did the job easily and without much effort.
Since what I was trying to do is not described in the wiki, I'll just paste the link here so someone can use it as well.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- … -as-1-2-3/

**note**
As much as I hate to say this, I did this from windows.

#8 2013-02-10 02:18:54

chris_l

well, you only needed to read the grub4dos section, not the entire article. (but you also needed to google how to install grub4dos. A quick google search gave me this url: http://www.themudcrab.com/acronis_grub4dos.php )

No.

#9 2013-02-10 02:24:06

deus_deceit

I found that web page myself as well, but I thought that there's no need to read that page if universal usb installer would do the job, so i tried that first.
Thank you very much for your help.

Board footer