You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-10 14:05:58

insane_alien

[solved] network interface names changed?

Hi,

I reinstalled arch on my laptop yesterday (hard drive failure). Normally, not to big a deal. Took me four hours to get arch installed. Why? couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get the wireless connected (ethernet connection unavailable, port is physically damaged). In the end, my fault, I should have tried iwconfig earlier.

It seems that my network interfaces have all changed names since the last time i installed. The wireless interface has changed from the sensible 'wlan0' to the mystical 'wlp4s0'.
also, eth0 is now enp9s0.

This has messed up a number of my scripts and above all is more than a little confusing, wlan0 feels right, wlp4s0 feels wrong.

Now, I'm not opposed to change. I like change, even if it breaks a lot of my scripts, but I like to know why something has changed to something less intuitive.

Why was this change put in place? I can't find any real info on it after 30 mins googling.

Can it be changed back through some setting somewhere without upsetting whatever problem it's supposed to fix?

Last edited by insane_alien (2013-04-21 20:01:31)

#2 2013-02-10 14:16:41

kaszak696

Re: [solved] network interface names changed?

'What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.' - Christopher Hitchens
'There's no such thing as addiction, there's only things that you enjoy doing more than life.' - Doug Stanhope
GitHub Junkyard

#3 2013-02-10 14:36:23

insane_alien

Thanks kaszak, exactly what i was looking for. Looks like i was just using the wrong keywords.

#4 2013-02-10 14:55:43

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

insane_alien wrote:

Thanks kaszak, exactly what i was looking for. Looks like i was just using the wrong keywords.

Yes you should have just searched for "Welcome to Arch!". smile

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#5 2013-02-13 23:57:54

sethradio
Website

Please edit your post and add "[SOLVED]"

And lo, it came to pass, that the neophyte encountered the Beplattered One and humbly posed the question, "Oh great master, is it a sin to use vi?" And St. IGNUcius didst thus reply unto him, "No, my young hacker friend, it is not a sin. It is a penance."

Board footer