You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-12 04:32:32

jdgordon01

Error: "Failed to setup loop device" upon booting installation[SOLVED]

EDIT: I was a bit late updating this so it seems silly to bump this thread by replying, but I thought I'd just point out for future reference that I solved this. The problem was simply me misreading a file name. /arch/x86_64/root-image.fs.sfs did exist on my USB, but for some reason it was under the name root-image_fs_sfs. I just had to rename it and I was able to boot and install everything perfectly (still using rEFInd).

Hi there,

I've been following the Beginner's Guide on the Arch Linux wiki to try and install Arch along side Windows on my laptop, but I've run into a problem while booting the installation medium (a USB drive).

I downloaded the latest ISO (archlinux-2013.02.01-dual.iso), reformatted a 2GB USB drive as FAT32, labelled it "ARCH_201302" and copied the contents of the .iso into the USB. (I did all this in Windows). Upon trying to boot, I got an error about the Arch installation disk being unable to read /loader/entries/*.conf. Apparently this is a relatively common error (I think it had something to do with UEFI, which is what I'm using.) And I solved it by using refind.

Now when I boot from the USB drive, I get a rEFInd menu with four options: (sorry, I'm paraphrasing here) Boot Arch Linux Installation from USB Drive (UEFI), Arch Linux x86_64 UEFI Shell v1, Arch Linux x86_64 UEFI Shell v2 and Boot Windows (UEFI). I select the first option, and after what seems to be a promising start, this is what I get:

:: running early hook [udev]
:: running hook [sdev]
:: triggering uevents...
[    3.606987] [drm:_gen6_gt_force_make_get] *ERROR* Timed out waiting for forc
emake old ack to clear.
[    4.273949] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] No Caching code page present
[    4.273950] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[    4.275497] sd 4:0;0:0: [sdb] No Caching code present
[    4.275498] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[    4.277855] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] No Caching code page present
[    4.277856] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
:: running hook [memdisk]
:: running hook [archiso]
:: running hook [archiso_loop_mnt]
:: running hook [archiso_pxe_common]
:: running hook [archiso_pxe_nbd]
:: running hook [archiso_pxe_http]
:: running hook [archiso_pxe_nfs]
:: Mounting '/dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201302' to '/run/archiso/bootmnt'
:: Device '/dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201302' mounted successfully.
:: Mounting /run/archiso/cowspace (tmpfs) filesystem, size=75%...
losetup: /run/archiso/bootmnt/arch/x86_64/root-image.fs.sfs: failed to setup loop device: No such file or directory
:: Mounting '' to '/run/archiso/sfs/root-image'
Waiting 30 seconds for device ...
ERROR: '' device did not show up after 30 seconds...
    Falling back to interactive prompt
    You can try to fix the problem manually, log out when you are finished
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
[rootfs /]# Waiting 30 seconds for device ...
ERROR: '' device did not show up after 30 seconds...
    Falling back to interactive prompt
    You can try to fix the problem manually, log out when you are finished
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
[rootfs /]# Waiting 30 seconds for device ...

It will just get stuck in the "Waiting 30 seconds for device ..." loop indefinitely until I power off the computer, and there doesn't seem to be any way to get into a prompt.

I've tried looking the problem up but the closest thing I can find is a common "30 seconds" error when mounting the filesystem on an incorrectly-labelled USB drive. I am wondering whether this is a related problem as I'm installing via USB, but it isn't the same, as my drive is labelled "ARCH_201302" correctly and the error I get is "'' device did not show up after 30 seconds" rather than "'/dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201302' device did not show up after 30 seconds".

It looks like the problem is at "losetup: /run/archiso/bootmnt/arch/x86_64/root-image.fs.sfs: failed to setup loop device: No such file or directory", but I've searched for this error and can't seem to find any solutions. Does anybody know how to get past this?

Thanks,
Jay

Last edited by jdgordon01 (2013-02-19 05:34:40)

#2 2013-02-12 07:45:56

DSpider

Re: Error: "Failed to setup loop device" upon booting installation[SOLVED]

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2013-02-26 09:31:34

L-four

Re: Error: "Failed to setup loop device" upon booting installation[SOLVED]

I had this issue and was able to fix and successfully boot by renaming
/ARCH/X86_64/ROOT_IMAGE_FS.SFS to /ARCH/X86_64/root-image.fs.sfs

Board footer