You are not logged in.

#2976 2013-02-04 01:24:27

atrotet

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi everyone,
I am Alexis and I am a 32yo french/aussie guy. Originally from New caledonia (french island next to australia), however I have been living in Australia for the past 10 years.
I am a long time linux user, having started back in the days with suse 6 (I think it was 98 or 1999), gosh time goes fast.... I used many distros in the begining such as suse, mandrake,slack...until I finally discovered gentoo which I used from 2003 until I downloaded arch in 2007. I have only been on arch ever since! Only saying hello now because I have never had to post for problems thanks to a wonderful wiki. Even in 2007 when gentoo's docs were concidered the best source of help I was amazed by the quality of arch's wiki...
So now I finally remembered my login information I might visit the forums and try to help others if I can.
Take care!

#2977 2013-02-04 09:13:28

waterman

Hey guys, just started to explore the arch linux and hopefully have some fun here...

#2978 2013-02-05 08:56:00

epheris
Website

Hi there, I'm Damian, 25 years old dude from Poland. My journey with unix based operating systems started with Slackware ( I was 15 years old back then) which I highly regard till this day. It's was probably not the best choice for a first linux which ppl have said to me but I disagreed. After Slackware i tried debian, ubuntu, suse, mandrake, mint, fedora etc and I was always coming back to Slackware, why ? because this distro didn't treated me like I was retarded or something and using it was easier for me than using ubuntu even if I had to set a lot things up for os to meet my requirements. Ever since I awalys had double os setup because I am a bit gamer too. Things changed when I found Archlinux and started reading about it. I was amazed because Archlinux was the thing I was always looking for. Things that made me think "I have to try it!" was rolling release package system and dependency based package manager. Man if it wasn't enough it was called PACMAN! big_smile Installing Arch at first was hmm a bit interesting, I though at first that it could be easier but I started thinking about it and came to conclusion that it is the way it should be. The KISS principle reminded me my old Slackware way and it was it. I fell in love and I'm using Arch ever since. I'm running it on my Dell Studio 1555 laptop and the only thing I couldn't get to work is bluetooth but since I rarely use it its not that big problem.

Anyway I'm glad to meet you guys and I will enjoy my stay.

regards
epheris

Last edited by epheris (2013-02-05 17:37:38)

Syrio Florel: There is only one god and his name is Death, and there is only one thing we say to Death: "Not today".

#2979 2013-02-05 09:07:39

xpixelz
Website

Hello archers !)

#2980 2013-02-05 10:11:29

omeringen

Hi,
I am here for a while but haven't said hello yet. Used to use whole MS operating systems from DOS to Win7. Using arch about one year i guess. I tried Mint and Debian about 2-3 months before arch. Still have an extra Windows partition just because of SolidWorks. I am glad to be here. Thanks to all devs and contributors.

Last edited by omeringen (2013-02-05 10:13:31)

#2981 2013-02-05 20:47:35

ArchMaje

Hello,

I am a Rails developer at a company that does e-business in Chicago. I am learning D as well. Been using linux for about ten years. Hope to offer up my talents an services.

#2982 2013-02-05 21:14:29

SanskritFritz
Website

ArchMaje wrote:

Hello,

I am a Rails developer at a company that does e-business in Chicago. I am learning D as well. Been using linux for about ten years. Hope to offer up my talents an services.

We hope that too. Welcome to arch.

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#2983 2013-02-08 23:38:38

perud

hi hi...
i'm an Indonesian archey...

I tried a lot of distros but ended up with this magnificent Arch Way...
keep up!!! big_smile

nah...

#2984 2013-02-08 23:49:16

Mihael

Hello!

First time on Arch for a couple of days now. I love it. I think it will replace win7 installation on my main SSD.

#2985 2013-02-09 14:02:14

spottedgeckgo
Website

Hi there.

My story in a short synopsis:
I haven't played with linux in a long time.  I think it was toward the late nineties when my dad got into it.  I used it from time to time but always ended up running back to windows to play my video games, even though I've kept open-office and libre-office on all of my computers over the years.  Toward the end of last year sometime, I got mad at windows again and decided it was cut-off (viruses, slow laptop, etc).  I downloaded Ubuntu, Debian 6, and another ISO that didn't work, burned the ISOs, and started playing on Ubuntu.

Didn't take long for me to get bored/frustrated with how cheesy Ubuntu is set up.  Perfect for someone like my wife (who now owns the Ubuntu lappy) or someone who doesn't care about computer stuff and just wants to surf the net and check emails, but definately not for me.  Started distro-hopping, ended with Bodhi (Debian and E17, nice combo), but with my new laptop (System 76 Gazelle) I wanted something light, fast, and room to learn/grow.  I've had some problems loading E17 onto arch (had to compile from source just to get it working, a lengthy process with the 10-12 different pieces that need to be installed in order) then had some other troubles while playing with login managers, so now I'm running ARCH with XFCE.  Originally I didn't like XFCE, it's not as beautiful as Enlightenment, but the ease of configuration has turned me on to it.  Got SLiM controlling my login, everything running great.  Now I'm back at work and filling in the gaps I've missed to get it workable (print drivers, scanner software, annoying beeps, etc.).  Having a great time.  Love how clean my desktop is and how smooth the new laptop runs with this OS.

I am a little worried that I'll get frustrated from time to time with the little nuonces of doing the extra work to setup certain programs and configs, but so far ARCH has been a dream come true, and I'm hoping to stay with it for quite a long time.  Anything that I can't get working and don't have time for, well, that's why I put my previous Bodhi distro (geckgo linux, hehe) on a VM to take care of when I need to do something "the easy way".

I hope I can contribute in some way.  There are people here that are a LOT more familiar with linux then I care to be.  Once I figure out building packages I plan on making a couple of font packages that will give a good basic structured list of real ttfs.  But I digress.  I'm glad to be here and happy that you guys exist.  Thanks for the years of hard work to make ARCH a success!

,the Geckgo

#2986 2013-02-09 14:18:38

katchup

Hi all,
I've been using Arch Linux for quite a time now (about 5 years) and I love it. Haven't been on the forums that much, though, so I thought it might be time to share my experience and insight.

#2987 2013-02-09 23:37:35

murray825

Hello Arch community.

I just installed Arch yesterday after switching from Ubuntu after only using that for 6 months along with that being my first Linux OS.

#2988 2013-02-10 00:38:13

deus_deceit

Hello Everybody!
I'm Chris 24 years old, From Greece.

My story as a linux user had some ups and downs, that means installing then uninstalling for a while until I found ubuntu 10.10 which I finally felt comfortable with and settled.
Now I have become the guy that tries to convince my friends and everyone I know to switch to Linux, I even offer to Install it for them to have better results.

The reason I ended up wanting to use Arch is because I love software, and I love being a geek and know more and more every day.
Arch linux seems like a GREAT chance to learn your operating system and feel as comfortable as you can be in the end.
So here I am starting my journey as an Arch linux user.

Right now, I haven't even installed Arch linux, but I'm convinced to try them and eager to stay here, so I believe you'll be seeing me a lot in the forum.

#2989 2013-02-10 16:41:42

hirobo

Hello!
I tried quite many distribution, but I've settled on Arch finally smile

#2990 2013-02-10 20:51:46

frost2000

Hello,
I've been through a few distro's since my college roommate ushered me into the Linux world and just decided to start playing with arch

#2991 2013-02-11 15:37:21

dirtycoder
Website

Hello! smile

I'm a 23 years old VB6 and Delphi developer (Don't hate me, plz tongue), trying my way out to Python web development.

I've been using Linux for quite a time, but not so "serious", few days ago I decided to change.
Formated my Dell Inspiron removing the Ubuntu, Windows dual boot and installed Arch Linux.

Very happy so far. big_smile

#2992 2013-02-12 01:34:26

parkur

Hello all,
I migrated to ArchLinux after using various distros in the past: Fedora(~1yrs), Ubuntu (~3yrs), Suse, Mint, and others.
Must say, after about 3 months of use, I have grown to love the package manager, the wiki/community, the flexibility and minimalist approach of Arch, and feel that I have found my distro!
Cheers to the devs, and hello to the community! smile

#2993 2013-02-12 12:20:38

axper

sup all
Moved from Ubuntu a while ago so expect noob questions ( if your not too harsh against noobs like me yikes )

#2994 2013-02-12 12:47:03

SanskritFritz
Website

axper wrote:

sup all
Moved from Ubuntu a while ago so expect noob questions ( if your not too harsh against noobs like me yikes )

Welcome! Do your homework, and nobody gets hurt smile
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Forum_Etiquette

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#2995 2013-02-12 18:12:22

Mahesh J

Hi All,

Used various distros Redhat(before Fedora arrived), Mandrake(before it became Mandriva), Suse, Fedora, Ubuntu, Mandriva etc.. but amonst all I felt Arch as the best distro that I have ever used. Finally I have found my kind of Distro

Kudos to developers!!!

#2996 2013-02-13 13:34:22

Malsasa
Website

Hello, I am Ade Malsasa Akbar from Indonesia. I often stay in Ubuntu Indonesia Forum and its irc channel. I join here just for searching crowd Linux community. I wanna get many friends and talking everytime I can about open source smile I see this forum consists from many users, and updated frequently, so I join wink

Thank you.

#2997 2013-02-14 12:03:41

blue sea & blue sail

大家好!
我很愿意使用Arch,我觉得这就是在享受一个现成的操作系统,因为它有一个超强的包管理机构:pacman,这个家伙真的是太好用了,比任何一个发行版都好用,当然我没有说在XWindow里,它比Slackware , Gentoo的好用很多。是最好的GNU/Linux发行版。说到这我还想说一下,我们现在用的Arch和其它的发行版都是得益于GNU这个系统的,Stallman本人也建议大家用GNU/Linux这个名称来叫这一类操作系统。不过,因为GNU的自由和开放,造就了如今这么多的发行版,它们各有特色。Arch 是什么呢?
Arch Linux = GNU + Linux + pacman
它是伟大的操作系统,我爱她!

Acer TM B115-P5BB | intel video card |Seagate 500G 5400rpm AF 7.5mm | 2GB RAM | 2.5 GHz Pentium N3530 CPU

#2998 2013-02-14 12:28:16

HungGarTiger

blue sea & blue sail wrote:

大家好!
我很愿意使用Arch,我觉得这就是在享受一个现成的操作系统,因为它有一个超强的包管理机构:pacman,这个家伙真的是太好用了,比任何一个发行版都好用,当然我没有说在XWindow里,它比Slackware , Gentoo的好用很多。是最好的GNU/Linux发行版。说到这我还想说一下,我们现在用的Arch和其它的发行版都是得益于GNU这个系统的,Stallman本人也建议大家用GNU/Linux这个名称来叫这一类操作系统。不过,因为GNU的自由和开放,造就了如今这么多的发行版,它们各有特色。Arch 是什么呢?
Arch Linux = GNU + Linux + pacman
它是伟大的操作系统,我爱她!

朋友大家好,

新年好,  我们见到你很开心!

Last edited by HungGarTiger (2013-02-14 12:29:01)

"No sympathy for the devil. If you buy the ticket, take the ride."
- Hunter S. Thompson

#2999 2013-02-14 20:25:46

Kov3nant

Hello Arch users!
I first tried linux with redhat, back in 98. Didn't stick with it very long because I was a huge gamer, and not a lot of games were available for Linux. First started learning about computers in 9th grade. We had a mandatory "computer introduction" course which consisted of learning DOS, WIN95, and programming in QBasic and C. I fell in love with computers. Later my dad taught me how to build computers, and I'm proud to say that I have NEVER bought a pre-built PC :-D

A few months ago, I finally got sick of win7. Don't game much anymore, so I figured screw it. Took the linux plunge. I first tried Kubuntu because I hate the unity desktop, but wanted something simple to start out with. I then bounced around to Mint, fedora, suse, debian, and then ArchBang. Archbang was a little buggy for me though, and I didn't care much for open box. But by then I figured, "hell I've learned a lot, time to put it to the test" and I installed Arch. Followed the instructions in the wiki, read just about every extra article that it pointed to. And I'm proud to say that I have a fully functioning, updated, and smooth as greased lightning installation of Arch with KDE as my desktop. There's just something about Arch that makes me love it. Maybe because I have to use the terminal here and there to achieve desired outcomes. Also Arch, for me, seems a little bit prestigious amongst the other linux distros. You take your time, install, configure, tweak, and eventually you have your very own OS. Nobody else in the world has the same configuration as you. I love that. And my distro hopping days are over. I'm here to stay. :-D

#3000 2013-02-15 05:02:04

Hindol

Hello fellow Arch users, smile

I am Hindol and I am from India. I have been using Linux since 2005. I started with Ubuntu, shifted to fedora for a while then back to Ubuntu then Linux Mint. But as you can see, I never left Linux, smile. I have tried to shift to Arch once in 2008 but I could not make Arch work with my PPPoE connection. This time I gathered the courage again and finally I have done it!

I must admit I never had this much fun with Linux before. Thank you Arch Linux!

Board footer