You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-12 21:03:45

jason_gates

[SOLVED] Clarification of Changes to LVM

Hi,
I need a clarification.

The following bullet point is published in the "Latest News" on this website (Archlinux), "Changes to LVM" 2013-02-12:

"The lvm2 initramfs hook now requires the udev hook."

I am assuming the two hooks ("lvm2 initramfs" and "udev") reside in a file. If so, what is the name of that file, and where is the file located.

My guess is, the file name is "mkinitcpio.conf" located at "/etc". However, a clarification would be greatly appreciated

In addition, I checked my "mkinitcpio.conf" file. I don't have a "lvm2" hook set.  This implies that I am not using lvm2. Is there a way to verify that my system is not using lvm2?

I know that question sounds silly, but I checked with pacman -Q, and yes, I have lvm2 installed. That implies I've installed lvm2 but don't actually use it. If there is another step I can take to verify I am not using lvm2?

Looks like folks worked really hard on the changes to "LVM". I just want to be careful and follow their instructions. Thus any help is greatly appreciated:)

Jason

Last edited by jason_gates (2013-02-12 22:19:00)

#2 2013-02-12 21:37:02

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Clarification of Changes to LVM

I agree that it would be clearer with "in mkinitcpio.conf" at the end of that line. It is indeed the right file. The omission is likely due to the expectation that all Arch users know where to set initramfs hooks, which is not unreasonable as Arch users are supposed to manually configure them during installation.

If you have to ask if you are using LVM or not then you most certainly are not, at least not for the main partitions of your system. If you really want to be sure, run "vgscan". It will report all LVM volume groups found on your system. If it finds none then you have none.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#3 2013-02-12 21:40:06

alphaniner

Note than vgscan needs to be run as root to work properly.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#4 2013-02-12 21:56:04

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

alphaniner wrote:

Note than vgscan needs to be run as root to work properly.

To STDERR, vgscan when run as a non-root user wrote:

Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
  WARNING: Running as a non-root user. Functionality may be unavailable.
  WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad: No such file or directory. Falling back to internal scanning.

If that wasn't obvious then I would say it's time to pack up and go home. wink

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#5 2013-02-12 22:26:51

jason_gates

Hi,
Thank you so much smile

Yep that was it. I must of installed lvm2 a long time ago, but I'm just not using it.

Xyne and alphaniner, I took your advice and verified by running vgscan.

I just upgraded (including device-mapper, linux and lvm2), rebooted, all good smile

Better safe than sorry .

Issue solved

Thanks again,
Jason

Last edited by jason_gates (2013-02-12 22:28:34)

Board footer