You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-10 00:16:03

Hund
Member
From: Sweden
Registered: 2010-03-22
Posts: 389
Website

Boot is taking forever (systemd-fsck?)

Im sorry for the bad topic. smile

When I boot Arch it stops and shows me this message for about 5 minutes or so (It feels like forever):

/dev/sda1: clean, 113567/640848 files, 662474/2561272 blocks
[   1.582745] kvm: disabled by bios
systemd-fsck[242]: /dev/sda2: clean, 90976/640848 files, 505908/2558464 blocks

I dual boot with Windows and I reboot my computer on a daily basis (Im a gamer) so its driving me crazy.

I have googled it and read a bunch of topics for the past three days now.. Whats wrong?


Not all change is progress

Offline

#2 2013-02-10 06:20:02

henk
Member
From: Weert, Netherlands
Registered: 2013-01-01
Posts: 332

Re: Boot is taking forever (systemd-fsck?)

Have you checked if your cpu supports virtualization?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KVM

Offline

#3 2013-02-10 13:29:24

Hund
Member
From: Sweden
Registered: 2010-03-22
Posts: 389
Website

Re: Boot is taking forever (systemd-fsck?)

I guess it does. I got the Intel i5 2500K CPU. But I dont use it. Is it really relevant to my problem though?

Edit: I enabled the KVM option in BIOS and got rid of that messagea ateast. The origninal problem still exists.

Last edited by Hund (2013-02-10 13:53:26)


Not all change is progress

Offline

#4 2013-02-10 20:22:30

henk
Member
From: Weert, Netherlands
Registered: 2013-01-01
Posts: 332

Re: Boot is taking forever (systemd-fsck?)

Hund wrote:

got rid of that messagea ateast. The origninal problem still exists.

got rid of what?? yikes
I suppose the original problem is is the fact dat the boot proces stops for some minutes.
Maybe you should look at your boot log.

Last edited by henk (2013-02-10 20:23:04)

Offline

#5 2013-02-11 15:04:10

Hund
Member
From: Sweden
Registered: 2010-03-22
Posts: 389
Website

Re: Boot is taking forever (systemd-fsck?)

henk wrote:
Hund wrote:

got rid of that messagea ateast. The origninal problem still exists.

got rid of what?? yikes
I suppose the original problem is is the fact dat the boot proces stops for some minutes.
Maybe you should look at your boot log.

The kvm message.


Not all change is progress

Offline

#6 2013-02-11 15:27:08

lucke
Member
From: Poland
Registered: 2004-11-30
Posts: 4,018

Re: Boot is taking forever (systemd-fsck?)

Do you have quiet in the kernel line of your bootloader? If yes, then remove it and see where the boot stalls.

Offline

#7 2013-02-13 00:30:18

Hund
Member
From: Sweden
Registered: 2010-03-22
Posts: 389
Website

Re: Boot is taking forever (systemd-fsck?)

No, I dont.

# /dev/sda1
UUID=6b87ab54-bb70-4173-9a83-ecd739960d6f       /               ext4            rw,relatime,data=ordered,discard,noatime        0 1

Not all change is progress

Offline

#8 2013-02-13 00:36:14

jasonwryan
Forum & Wiki Admin
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 19,364
Website

Re: Boot is taking forever (systemd-fsck?)

That's your fstab, not your kernel line in your {grub,syslinux,efistub} conf...


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Github

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#9 2013-02-13 00:40:34

Hund
Member
From: Sweden
Registered: 2010-03-22
Posts: 389
Website

Re: Boot is taking forever (systemd-fsck?)

jasonwryan wrote:

That's your fstab, not your kernel line in your {grub,syslinux,efistub} conf...

lol, Im tired. Its the middle in the night here. tongue

Im removing it and we'll se what happens.


Not all change is progress

Offline

#10 2013-02-13 00:50:26

Hund
Member
From: Sweden
Registered: 2010-03-22
Posts: 389
Website

Re: Boot is taking forever (systemd-fsck?)

I got to see some more messages about the boot as I expected, but it didnt solve my issue.


Not all change is progress

Offline

#11 2013-02-13 01:00:19

WonderWoofy
Member
From: Los Gatos, CA
Registered: 2012-05-19
Posts: 8,412

Re: Boot is taking forever (systemd-fsck?)

Why would removing quiet ever solve your issue?  The idea was simply to give you more information as to why this might be happening.  You might also want to look at the journal and find this delay and see what these logs tell you.

Offline

#12 2013-02-13 01:03:06

Hund
Member
From: Sweden
Registered: 2010-03-22
Posts: 389
Website

Re: Boot is taking forever (systemd-fsck?)

WonderWoofy wrote:

Why would removing quiet ever solve your issue?  The idea was simply to give you more information as to why this might be happening.  You might also want to look at the journal and find this delay and see what these logs tell you.

I misread it. It all makes sense now. It didnt show me any useful info anyway, the last entry was just "[ OK ] Reached target Sound Card.".

Is there anyway to disable the fsck check at every boot? Its just annoying anyway.


Not all change is progress

Offline

#13 2013-02-13 01:06:46

WonderWoofy
Member
From: Los Gatos, CA
Registered: 2012-05-19
Posts: 8,412

Re: Boot is taking forever (systemd-fsck?)

That is a really bad idea... but I would imagine if you mask the service it might stop it... or it might render your system borked... I dunno.

Offline

#14 2013-02-13 01:09:51

Hund
Member
From: Sweden
Registered: 2010-03-22
Posts: 389
Website

Re: Boot is taking forever (systemd-fsck?)

Bah.. Whats up with the systemd thingy anyway? Whats the benefits with it? So far Ive just seen a bunch of bugs. Arch used to work flawless for me, but ever since the switch to systemd it all went south. Boot hangs, shutdown hangs, no network at boot and autmounting my Samba share doesnt work.. Yay! smile

Edit: Atleast I solved the network at boot a few days ago. But I have no idea how I did it tbh.. Arch used to be so simple! But now with this systemd piece of shit? Its a mess.

Last edited by Hund (2013-02-13 01:11:33)


Not all change is progress

Offline

#15 2013-02-13 02:02:02

jasonwryan
Forum & Wiki Admin
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 19,364
Website

Re: Boot is taking forever (systemd-fsck?)

Hund wrote:

Bah.. Whats up with the systemd thingy anyway? Whats the benefits with it? So far Ive just seen a bunch of bugs. Arch used to work flawless for me, but ever since the switch to systemd it all went south. Boot hangs, shutdown hangs, no network at boot and autmounting my Samba share doesnt work.. Yay! smile

Edit: Atleast I solved the network at boot a few days ago. But I have no idea how I did it tbh.. Arch used to be so simple! But now with this systemd piece of shit? Its a mess.

The experience of most people is that sysytemd has introduced benefits; most of the issues that you are describing are probably fixable by some simple configuration changes.

In any event, we have grown rather tired of the petulant "systemd is a piece of shit"-type rants that a minority feel compelled to vent; please don't bother. If you don't like it, install something else.



FWIW: anyone who starts a sentence about a rolling release with a fond nostalgia for the past is clearly deluding themselves; change is at the core of Arch, deal with it.


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Github

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#16 2013-02-13 03:22:08

WonderWoofy
Member
From: Los Gatos, CA
Registered: 2012-05-19
Posts: 8,412

Re: Boot is taking forever (systemd-fsck?)

Yes, i find systemd quite great actually.  I am sorry that your incompetence or lack of willingness to read the great documentation is holding you back.  As jasonwryan has indicated, there are a number of other distributions that offer non systemd environments.  I would recommend gentoo, as that is where many of our past anti-systemd users went after the change, but if you are struggling this much with Arch, I am sure that use flags will surely frustrate you more.

Offline

#17 2013-02-13 03:43:29

Hund
Member
From: Sweden
Registered: 2010-03-22
Posts: 389
Website

Re: Boot is taking forever (systemd-fsck?)

WonderWoofy wrote:

Yes, i find systemd quite great actually.  I am sorry that your incompetence or lack of willingness to read the great documentation is holding you back.  As jasonwryan has indicated, there are a number of other distributions that offer non systemd environments.  I would recommend gentoo, as that is where many of our past anti-systemd users went after the change, but if you are struggling this much with Arch, I am sure that use flags will surely frustrate you more.

I probably rewrote this post 5 times. I only came up with 5 reasons to get me banned. But Im not gonna give you that.

I just wanna say Im tired of kids trolling like you. If you knew who I am, you wouldn't question my knowledge.

Have fun ruin the Arch community kido! Im out.


Not all change is progress

Offline

#18 2013-02-13 11:14:07

The Solutor
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2013-02-10
Posts: 10

Re: Boot is taking forever (systemd-fsck?)

WonderWoofy wrote:

Yes, i find systemd quite great actually.  I am sorry that your incompetence or lack of willingness to read the great documentation is holding you back.  As jasonwryan has indicated, there are a number of other distributions that offer non systemd environments.  I would recommend gentoo, as that is where many of our past anti-systemd users went after the change, but if you are struggling this much with Arch, I am sure that use flags will surely frustrate you more.


Is not so complicate, openrc is working already fine on arch, surely the result is worth the time spent reading the related thread in the AUR room.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB