You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-12 02:37:21

whaler

KDE 4.10 - some more problems

After upgrading kdebase-katepart, kdebase-kwrite, kdesdk-kate, libquvi-scripts and lib32-gnutls on my 64bit system, I got a black, frozen screen when issuing 'startx' at 'Reached target Graphical Interface' (formerly runlevel 3). I can hear KDE's startup tune, but there is no graphical interface.

So I downgraded libquvi-scripts (to v. 0.4.11-1), to no avail. I then downgraded the other four pkgs (to 4.9.4-1 and 3.1.7-1) and KDE starts normally.

I use to point at a partition in Dolphin's panel and be presented with an authentication window (not sure if this is a Dolphin built-in or an app I once installed...). This works and I can access the partition from e.g. Dolphin, but looking into /media I see the partition is not really or fully or whatever, mounted. In order for ktorrent not to balk, I now have to manually mount partitions as SU.

#2 2013-02-12 04:29:07

jukkan

Re: KDE 4.10 - some more problems

whaler wrote:

I use to point at a partition in Dolphin's panel and be presented with an authentication window (not sure if this is a Dolphin built-in or an app I once installed...). This works and I can access the partition from e.g. Dolphin, but looking into /media I see the partition is not really or fully or whatever, mounted. In order for ktorrent not to balk, I now have to manually mount partitions as SU.

This is built into KDE. Not sure if into Dolphin though. But, seems like partitions are now mounted to /run/media instead of /media. I have no problems accessing them there.

#3 2013-02-12 17:51:08

whaler

Me neither, except ktorrent will not work until I mount the relevant partition(s) manually. Have you tried ktorrent with a partition mounted via Dolphin? This seems to be either a problem specific for my system, or lack of communication between KDE apps developers.

#4 2013-02-12 18:33:08

jukkan

Downloading a torrent to a partition mounted via Dolphin seems to work. Also "Open Directory => Data Directory" opens the correct folder.

But, I did start with fresh configs (~/.kde4/) with KDE 4.10.

Last edited by jukkan (2013-02-12 18:33:28)

#5 2013-02-13 22:49:05

whaler

Thanks. By fresh configs, do you mean you deleted the ~/.kde* directories before upgrading, or did you do something else?

I can mount and access partitions/directories from Dolphin, but ktorrent is not happy until I mount partitions manually. Strange.

Where do you find "Open Directory"; I can't see it in Dolphin...

#6 2013-02-17 02:54:51

jukkan

Sorry it took me so long.

Yes I renamed and moved the ~/.kde4 folder elsewhere, logged out&in so that kde would recreate the configs. I had some issues with effects, for example, and this seemed to solve all problems.

I meant when I right-clicked on a torrent, and selected Advanced => Open Directory => Data Directory, it opened the correct folder in Dolphin.

#7 2013-02-18 07:34:35

whaler

No problem.

I tried your method with KDE, but Dolphin would still not mount a partition for root access, which is what ktorrent demands. I still had to manually mount the partition as SU for ktorrent to resume normally. However, I could manually access the same partition from within ktorrent when it was mounted by Dolphin only, but that does not help ktorrent resume operation.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help! I am starting to believe this is something which needs to be fixed upstream.

Board footer