You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-14 03:48:54

bam211

[SOLVED] accidentally deleted curl, anyway to reinstall?

I had some issues in curl and vmware player 5.0.1 in kernel 3.7.7-1, so I tried to remove curl (my bad, pacman -Rdd curl) and reinstall but reinstall fails

pacman: error while loading shared libraries: libcurl.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Appreciate any advice on how can I reinstall curl.

Last edited by bam211 (2013-02-14 04:56:45)

#2 2013-02-14 04:09:45

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] accidentally deleted curl, anyway to reinstall?

Read your pacman.conf...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2013-02-14 04:21:22

bam211

are you pointing to any particular options in pacman.conf? pacman works on other packages (those non dependent on curl) when I put libcurl.so.4 from vmware directory to /usr/lib... but any curl dependent package upgrade fails with the following error

pacman -S curl
pacman: /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libalpm.so.7)
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets (1): curl-7.29.0-2

Total Installed Size:   1.86 MiB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                                                               [#############################################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                                                    [#############################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                                                              [#############################################################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
curl: /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4 exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Last edited by bam211 (2013-02-14 04:23:43)

#4 2013-02-14 04:24:24

WonderWoofy

jasonwryan was telling you to simply use a different tool with pacman to then install curl.  You may then chance it back if you desire, or you may keep it the way it is.  You will find preconfigured options simply commented out in pacman.conf.  Wget is a popular alternative.

#5 2013-02-14 04:25:51

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

The file exists because you put it there, obviously... There's a certain flag I'd recommend, but its very dangerous for those who aren't sure what they're doing and should NOT be used unless you're absolutely sure what is going on. Search man pacman for how to force an install in this situation.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2013-02-14 04:37:36

bam211

Thanks jasonwryan, WonderWoofy and ngoonee for your help! Force option did work

#7 2013-02-14 04:41:29

WonderWoofy

Okay, now I would advise not using that again unless told to do so by the devs.  Too many threads already exist from problems when people use force.

Often it is better to simply remove the offending files (or rename them).

Edit: Also, please mark your thread as solved (edit the first post).

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2013-02-14 04:41:53)

#8 2013-02-14 08:36:08

mynis01

Usually I try not to derail threads, but since this is marked solved I'm going to bite: Why in this situation would you use force? Any time I get a "exists in filesystem" error from pacman I just delete or rename the file. The problem is that the file exists, so make it not exist. Seems pretty cut and dry right? Is the force option just a shortcut or does it serve some useful purpose in this situation that I am not picking up on?

#9 2013-02-14 11:55:50

karol
Archivist

mynis01 wrote:

Is the force option just a shortcut or does it serve some useful purpose in this situation that I am not picking up on?

It's a shortcut that may get removed https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail … 16424.html

#10 2013-02-14 14:17:38

ANOKNUSA

mynis01 wrote:

The problem is that the file exists, so make it not exist. Seems pretty cut and dry right?

That's the thinking that makes "--force" dangerous.  One reason that the "file exists in filesystem" error might crop up is human error. A PKGBUILD from the AUR, for example, may not have a proper "provides" or "conflicts with" entry, so the package will want to install files with identical names to others on the system, but significantly different content.  Forcing the installation in such a case may wipe files that key components of the system rely on, replacing them with incompatible substitutes.  Extant files may be the obstacle to package installation but, in such a case, the existence of those files aren't the problem itself.  The /lib -> /usr/lib transition is another example that caught many off-guard, since files vital to the maintenance of the system were being moved around; slip-ups during that transition left people with unbootable systems and broken package managers.

#11 2013-02-14 15:36:19

Awebb

If you don't feel like using the force in the future, consider using the live medium to fix broken pacman relevant packages.

Board footer