You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-14 19:26:13

eskatrem

Is somebody developing in Action Script under Arch?

Hi!

Not sure it's the right place to post this, but at work I had all the pain in the world to set up an Action Script development under Debian (that's the distro I am using at work) and finally had to work under Windows. There was no free IDE and it was impossible at least for me to install a debug version of flash.

Now I am finding the possibilities of Action Script interesting, and would like to use it for some personal projects at home (where I run Arch). I am curious to know if someone else is using Action Script under Arch, and in which case, what are their setups and if they had any problem to install everything they need.

Thanks!

#2 2013-02-14 21:34:21

ralvez
Website

Re: Is somebody developing in Action Script under Arch?

I used to code in ActionSrcipt.
I never had any real problems with it and I have workded for over 15 years in Linux only OSes.
I always used my prefered editor ( at the time it was vim I  think ) and then did all my testing in the browser by running the flash movie.
The question you have to ask yourself is: Is it really worth for me to spend time with it?
ActionScript is tyied to Flash ... and Flash is in it's "way out". Sure it will not disappear tomorrow but it's just a matter of time. Heck even Adobe acknolledge that...

To me, if you just like coding ActionScript, then go to JavaScript. AS is just JS with adaptations to the movie playing engine of Flash.

Hope this helps.

#3 2013-02-14 21:41:20

eskatrem

Thank you for the answer!
Out of interest, you never see the need to see the traces of your code to debug it (that's the main reason I had to go to Windows).

To me, if you just like coding ActionScript, then go to JavaScript. AS is just JS with adaptations to the movie playing engine of Flash.

I never thought of it like that. I find AS is a shitty language, some sort of Java but with some missing features (the lack of generic isn't compensated by the support of anonymous functions, IMHO), but it's easy to get a nice rendering. Well, maybe I will play with more java script graphical libraries...

#4 2013-02-14 21:57:14

ralvez
Website

> Out of interest, you never see the need to see the traces of your code to debug it (that's the main reason I had to go to Windows).
I used to run Windows in a virtual machine for the purpose of tracing.

To be honest with you I have **no** idea why you are working with AS but ... if you got there because you like programming for the web then I would strongly recomend you take a look at
1) JavaScript, 2) JQuery 3) AngularJS.

The three of them are powerful languages (JQuery and Angular are actually JavaScript frameworks) and fun to work with.

R.

Last edited by ralvez (2013-02-14 21:57:42)

#5 2013-02-14 22:06:56

benmills
Website

I'm not sure how well this will work on Arch but I had a lot of success using http://projectsprouts.org/ to build simple AS projects on the command line and using vim to edit the code. I don't remember if this is true but I believe that when you ran the AS projects with sprouts it would output traces to the terminal.

#6 2013-02-14 22:07:36

eskatrem

To be honest with you I have **no** idea why you are working with AS but

Well, I am statistician and joined a company that produces video games, some in action script, and I am writing some code in AS to do tasks related to game development (not game development itself, more some bot to automatically test the game). I agree it's not the most common path to AS... Anyway, it doesn't look too hard to do games in AS, so I wanted to give it a shot...

I will check JQuery and AngularJS, I played already with java script, and find it OK (but will need to write more code in it before becoming totally proficient).

#7 2013-02-14 22:09:33

eskatrem

I don't remember if this is true but I believe that when you ran the AS projects with sprouts it would output traces to the terminal.

Holy crap! sprouts looks really really awesome! I will test it this weekend.

#8 2013-02-14 22:23:00

ralvez
Website

To write games in HTML then you want to look at HTML5 canvas.
I know that there are already some games done with it... and the cool thing is that they run natively in the browser.
Take a look at this page http://www.canvasdemos.com/type/games/

R.

Board footer